** ASUS DO IT AGAIN: IPS, 144Hz & FREESYNC!!! **

Caporegime
Associate
would be all over this if I didn't have a 980 GTX...

Hopefully means OCUK can't justify a £190 'g-sync' premium for long.

I also prefer the look of this monitor - no red ring at the bottom is a plus side in my book!

Soldato
it isn't OCUK that set the premium of GSYNC, its nVidia whom charge a lot for the chipset, and Asus who set the price of the screen. That said, I am very pleased with my swift, and probably won't be changing it.

Permabanned
Was about to splash on the BenQ for £430 the other day, but this being released at this price should hopefully bring the price of the other FreeSyncs down slightly.

Soldato
Just like the Swift this seems like a very nice monitor, but a tad expensive.

The issue for me is that I'm at 4K currently so this would seem like a step backwards, even though I'd be gaining refresh rate.

Just waiting for a 120/144Hz 4K screen. It'd be nice if it was IPS too and if it had Freesync/GSync.

Soldato
Awesome to see a 144hz IPS. Give me a 4k model for under £1000 and I'm in.
Asus already released a 4K IPS monitor at around £700...so the only thing missing is the 144Hz.

Not sure if the tech on refresh rate has advanced to that level yet, considering we only just arrived at 2560 res 144Hz not that long ago...

Associate
Asus already released a 4K IPS monitor at around £700...so the only thing missing is the 144Hz.

Not sure if the tech on refresh rate has advanced to that level yet, considering we only just arrived at 2560 res 144Hz not that long ago...

We will do a 4K IPS gaming monitor, but at 60 Hz.

It will take a while for higher bandwidth cables to support 4K at 144Hz, become embedded in hardware and available, and therefore provide a market for 4K 144Hz monitors.

But when it's feasible, I'd be very surprised if we didn't make it happen.

Soldato
It will take a while for higher bandwidth cables to support 4K at 144Hz, become embedded in hardware and available, and therefore provide a market for 4K 144Hz monitors.

Like there's a GPU set-up that would remotely handle that at present anyway lol! As though the cables are the issue here... they may be to making such a monitor, but were one available, precious few could actually run it effectively for AAA titles anyway. It'll be a couple of years before this is possible and GPU tech has actually caught up.

Associate
Like there's a GPU set-up that would remotely handle that at present anyway lol! As though the cables are the issue here... they may be to making such a monitor, but were one available, precious few could actually run it effectively for AAA titles anyway. It'll be a couple of years before this is possible and GPU tech has actually caught up.

You definitely have a point, but just my gut instinct says people would be interested.

Ultimately if you can get >60 fps then it's valuable, and if you turn the settings down a bit it's all possible. One of the problems is that many reviews push the settings to ultra and then it looks impossible to achieve >60 fps at 4K.

My ultimate point though was that it's the key blocker on doing such a product. Requiring big GPU power might make it less likely, but no cable makes it impossible!

Back
Top Bottom