Asus P5W DH Deluxe - doesn't support Conroe out of box?

Associate
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=29&threadid=1884069&enterthread=y

Heads Ups. This board is shipping with BIOS rev 0401 which is reported to not support Conroe. For Conroe you need 0502 or higher. That means you'll need to use a non Conroe socket 775 CPU to flash the BIOS.

That's no big deal if you have a "tide me over" CPU prior to Conroe but if you're expecting this board to POST with Conroe you may be in store for a surprise.

I can't believe ASUS did something this stupid.

Can anyone confirm if this is correct? And does anyone know what bios rev the ones on Overclockers are shipping with?

Associate
OP
Locrian said:
Somebody in that first link also wrote:

Are OcUK going to let us know what the deal is here. I guess all these reports so far are from the US so maybe EU will get lucky. If it is shipping without conroe compatability that is a major issue and not all of us have spare CPUs lying around. It also surely violates the description
Glad I haven't ordered yet then - I did ring overclockers to try and get a confirmation on the bios but they said they didn't know what version it was. No 775 chip lying around here for me so I need to make sure before purchasing :(

Associate
OP
just saw this on another forum (which I probably can't link to), it's all gettting a bit confusing....

The p5wdh will work with conroes out of the box but if you have an ES conroe that is only the time you will need to flash the bios. So if you have any other conroe apart from ES its good out of the box

Associate
OP
Devious said:
Seems like speculation as nobody has a retail chip yet.

Im getting a replacement Asus tomorrow ill let you know what bios it has.
Thanks, I've just sent an email to Asus customer support so hopefully they'll be able to confirm if that's true about it only being an issue with ES cpu's

Associate
OP
Here's my response from Asus:

Hi, can you confirm that all Asus P5W DHs will work with all conroe retail chips. On various forums it states that the mobo is only compatable with conroe with BIOS rev 0502. So will the earlier boards need a bios flash or is the compatabilty only an issue on ES chips?

Thanks,
Mark.
Dear Friend,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.
My name is ZYC. I would be assisting you today.

Sir, even with old bios versions,

you still can start system, the bios may report cpu code error,

but you have chance to flash bios to recognize the cpu completely.
So does this mean you don't need another 775 CPU in order to flash the bios???

Back
Top Bottom