Asus P5W DH Deluxe - doesn't support Conroe out of box?

Soldato
Explicit said:
I agree, but I think Asus are required to take responsibility.

If anybody has any trouble with their mobo not supporting Conroe, give Asus an email and state your consumer rights otherwise they'll treat you like a fool.

s.13 of Sale of Goods Act 1979 states: "Where there is a contract for the sale of goods by description, there is an implied term that the goods will correspond with the description."

Asus described on their website that it supports Intel Core 2 Duo (Conroe). So, Asus are required to either send you a new BIOS chip or flash your current one so that it supports Conroe. They are also responsible for bearing the costs as it's clearly their own fault.

I hope that helps somebody who feels a bit miffed that they paid £180 for a mobo which states Conroe support but technically doesn't.

Sorry, but in the UK, the contract is between the customer and the retailer - not the manufacturer. It's down to OcUK to sort it, unless you specifically opted out of your rights by accepting a direct RMA agreement - like the ones for DFI:

OcUK Website said:
Important Information - Direct RMA Service on DFI LANParty Series Motherboard - On top of the of all the exciting new features that our LANParty motherboards introduced, DFI is committed in bringing the product support services to the next level by launching a new initiative called Direct RMA Request services to LANParty motherboard End-Users. Therefore all warranty claims including returns and replacement are handled direct by DFI.
RMA Procedure - This service is available online through DFI''s automated facilities at http://www.dfi.com.tw/RMA/rma_request_step0_us.jsp. The status of your teturned product can be tracked at http://www.dfi.com.tw/RMA/rma_service_progress_us.jsp
Technical Support - Technical support only will be handled by Overclockers UK. All faulty product must be sent direct to DFI - Diamond Flower Information (NL) B.V., Shannonweg 11, Port 5087, Rotterdam 3197LG, The Netherlands.TEL: +31-10-296-1848, FAX: +31-10-296-1849.

By placing this order you are agreeing to these conditions.

1. Always read the small print
2. caveat emptor

As there is no disclaimer like that for ASUS motherboards you have to take it up with OcUK.

Associate
Either way, your statutory rights still remain the same. To be fair to OcUK, they are only conveying what is written on the Asus website. :)

Soldato
Explicit said:
Either way, your statutory rights still remain the same. To be fair to OcUK, they are only conveying what is written on the Asus website. :)

Absolutely. I'm sure someone is 'clarifying' the situation with ASUS UK right now ie. will ASUS UK pay OcUK for the recall or just organise the couriers and labour ;)

Soldato
Yea, was just going to say that.

The board does support Conroe. There is no doubt about that. Earlier boards could have been shipped with the wrong bios, Asus could have sorted it out and boards now could be shipped with the correct bios.

Associate
OP
just saw this on another forum (which I probably can't link to), it's all gettting a bit confusing....

The p5wdh will work with conroes out of the box but if you have an ES conroe that is only the time you will need to flash the bios. So if you have any other conroe apart from ES its good out of the box

Soldato
mr poo said:
just saw this on another forum (which I probably can't link to), it's all gettting a bit confusing....

Seems like speculation as nobody has a retail chip yet.

Im getting a replacement Asus tomorrow ill let you know what bios it has.

Associate
OP
Devious said:
Seems like speculation as nobody has a retail chip yet.

Im getting a replacement Asus tomorrow ill let you know what bios it has.
Thanks, I've just sent an email to Asus customer support so hopefully they'll be able to confirm if that's true about it only being an issue with ES cpu's

Associate
sachinbadiani said:
It says on the order page for the Asus that you can contact asus for an updated BIOS. Should I ring up or email for a BIOS update (if I purchase the Asus)?

That quite frankly is not good enough. Imagine if a company sold a TV they said was HD ready, but you had to update the firmware to use HD. It is clearly miss-representation of goods and should be delt with accordingly. Its all very well slapping on a message days after the story broke, but i purchased my board BEFORE that message was there. Therefore, OcUK damn well are liable.

Associate
Exactly... I was looking so forward to buy the Asus (from OCUK) after all the wonderful stories I heard about it (in the reviews). This is just screaming to me that I have to wait for the Nforce 590 (which has the number of slots and sata ports etc that I'm looking for, since I'm put of by the Asus 975X).

Associate
WJA96 said:
Have you tried it yet with a Conroe chip? There was some information elsewhere that said it was only a problem with ES chips?

Nope im just your average joe sitting on a preorder like verybody else :) Unfrotunately they decided to ship the mobo already whereas i was hoping to sit on it till it got closer to the time to decide my options. So the wonderful thing is i wont even know if it will work until its to late! But again, thats OcUKs fault not mine, and i will sue them if i have to lol.

Associate
WJA96 said:
I think that just emphasizes the fact that that product is not truly designed to work with Conroe. It just screams - "buy something else" - to me.

And it's not cheap either!

The product is designed to work with Conroe, it's just that Asus screwed up with the BIOS being shipped. With the correct BIOS, it is fully Conroe compatible :)

Soldato
I think we're the ones to blame - not OcUK. If we didn't generate the hyped up demand they would not be desperately rushing to get whatever product we were screaming for in store before they were properly tested.

The Intel Badaxe story is another example of this. We, the OcUK userbase demanded Intel Badaxe motherboards (apparently). OcUK got what boards they could (OEM) and knocked them out. Now people are complaining that wanted the retail packaged version. In reality, they can't use *** boards anyway as almost no-one has a Conroe and those of us lucky enough to have the industry contacts to get CPUs have the industry contacts to get a motherboard to go with it. Abit AB9 Pro in my case, 1st class board. Totally stable. Works fine with Conroe out of the box. [SMUG] ;)

Associate
OP
Here's my response from Asus:

Hi, can you confirm that all Asus P5W DHs will work with all conroe retail chips. On various forums it states that the mobo is only compatable with conroe with BIOS rev 0502. So will the earlier boards need a bios flash or is the compatabilty only an issue on ES chips?

Thanks,
Mark.
Dear Friend,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.
My name is ZYC. I would be assisting you today.

Sir, even with old bios versions,

you still can start system, the bios may report cpu code error,

but you have chance to flash bios to recognize the cpu completely.
So does this mean you don't need another 775 CPU in order to flash the bios???

Soldato
Screw this I aint buying it now. Unless ocuk put on the motherboard section that it is 100% flashed to the correct bios and it will support conroe, I am buying something else. Oh and it wont be that OEM farce badaxe too. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom