Asus Prime 790-P/14700k

Associate
Hi all,

I have always built my own pcs and had fun overclocking since the early 90's. Never had a problem, until now...

I was having constant thermal throttling since upgrading to the 14700k with ASUS prime 790-p (DDR5) motherboard.

It shouldn't be a cooler issue, running an H100i and I have cleaned and re applied the thermal compound a couple of times to no avail.

I would normally change settings in bios but the options are so limited... (Have I missed something or is it just a poor choice of MB?)

After a fair bit of reading I have now used XTU to undervolt and have it performing well without throttling. However, it is a major pain in the arse having to open XTU and load the profile each reboot.
The watchdog is not available and no longer available to download via intels website so cannot just tick the option in settings.

I'm amazed the CPU can't just be used with default sttings.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Last edited:
Associate
What score do you get on a 10 minute Cinebench R23 run? Hitting the thermal limit on a 240mm AIO sounds fairly normal for a stock 14700K. It's a 250-300W chip

Soldato
You can have XTU apply your settings on each reboot. That way you should not need to touch it. Under settings/ advanced.

Typically boards tend to over volt the CPU, but you have noted that.
It can be the case that they allow the CPU to run beyond the maximum power draw that Intel note as the power limits for the CPU.
Each board will have its own settings for that. I'm not familiar with an Asus board, perhaps something about applying Asus performance something could apply.?

I would not have thought that the H100i would be capable of cooling, effectively, the 14700k IF it is running at full loads for a sustained period of time.
As noted in the reply above.
Especially with default BIOS settings.

Then again I suppose it also depends what your typical use is, for it to reach thermal limits.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Is your cooling OK now.? Probably helped with the slight offset, maybe more so by preventing the BIOS from setting too high a maximum for the power draw.
Yeah, seems ok. I’ve actually cranked up the multicore to 5700, in game I’m only running at ~68’c with fans on fairly low speed. Hit 95’c when bench marking.

Soldato
Ah, fair enough. I didn't know if you managed to resolve that.

I do know it will happen to me if I do not have default settings enabled first in the BIOS. Not necessarily optimised defaults as Asus etc have their own optimised settings, so they have to be disabled first AFAIK.
Then I am able to use XTU and have it reload ok on the next reboot.

Back
Top Bottom