Asus Prime AP201 MATX Gaming Build

Soldato
This is the start of a long overdue upgrade from my itx build that is also suffering with a faulty aio (when under load) and the performace isnt keeping up with the games i play and want to get into. Heres my current build:

Intel 6700k cooled by corsair 280mm AIO
16gb Corsair ddr4
Evga 1080 Hybrid
1Tb Samsung SSD
Superflower 1200W Platinum

I have summised for along time on what my next build will be and i decided on a few things:

1. Bigger than Itx - Almost decided on a Dan h20 case and the like, nothing wrong with them but i wanted a build that i didnt have to worry about size issues with gpus and also i wanted an easier build this time around. And at the same time i didnt want too big (used to have a corsair 9000D that was huge) and still think a atx case was still rather big for my desk. My current case is an Phantek enthoo itx which i remeber being a bit too fiddly for me especially when i had 2 aio's in it.

2.No water - Not cause my aio is failing (5 years use, thats pretty good). Ive seen that air coolers can cool modern CPU's really well, and also graphics cards (minus the 4090) are not as power hungry or chucking out too much heat as they used too if i looked at the midrange cards.

3. Minumum RGB and hide the window - Doesnt add to performance and i look at my monitor rather than lnside my screen.

So not asking for a lot but it helped with what i was after. I bought a monitor a few months back as my previous one was playing up so i went for an LG 32" 32GQ850-b That was in the sale. Very impressed with it but unfortunatly my current build couldnt make use of the high refreshrate, gysnc or HDR.

The games i play arent the most demanding but it would be great to see the performance and graphic uplift. I Play most Total War games, i have started Baldurs Gate 3 and will give CyberPunk ago, even without enabling RTX if my new build cant cope.

The pc i have specced:

ASus Prime AP201 MATX Case
Arctic max fans and controller
Noctua NH-U12A
AMD 7800X3D - refuse to skimp on a cpu and im pretty sure it will do well at 1440p and a future gpu upgrade.
ASUS TUF Gaming B650M-Plus Wifi
Corsair Vengence RGB EXPO 32gb DDR5 - Unfortunately RGB but its their only in stock stuff. But im sure it can be turned off.
Samsung 990 pro 2tb - games are getting bigger so 2tb is plenty for my needs.
Saphire 7900xtx Vapour Nitro - was going for a nvidia 4070 then decided go all out on an amd build, this increased the budget by a huge amount. This better last me a long time.
Seasonic Vertx GX- 1200 - Plenty enough to power this build and also if i plan on getting a bigger card in the future. Also physically not to big for the positioning of inside the case (psu sits in the very front).

Build Progress:

Case looks stunning to me, the metal finish is better than my old phantek. It just looks very proffessional to me and the build quality inside and how everything is arranged, i belive it will be easy to build in. It also doesnt look massive, which i was worried about after being in an itx build.

cHqwJHl.jpg

Fans installed, i replaced the stock fan that came with the case (3pin) and i have also installed the fan controller on the back.

5dujJcP.jpg

The other parts.
dANrPpz.jpg

Built it yesterday I was meant to take lots of picks but forgot as I was time limited. But here it is.
rSPhbJq.jpg

More RGB than I planned (ram and 7900xtx nitro) but I actually quite like it.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Old system:

Three Kingdoms Total War (settings on ultra)

ZIxGntc.jpg

New system:
jKQb94h.jpg

So I gained another 100fps, that for me is amazing and I can't get over the performance difference. I've tested Warhammer 3 total war and baldurs gate 3 all at max settings and getting about 130-150 FPS.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom