ASUS RTX 4090 ROG Matrix Platinum - Add to Water loop?

Associate
Anything is possible! Depends on how much of a bodge you want to make of it, you can just cut the tubes and figure out a way to plumb it into an existing open loop, or see if you can disconnect the fittings for the block and replace them with something more standard. Why not get a regular card and block it yourself? I can't imagine buying an AIO card and binning the rad/pump would be a cheaper option.

Associate
OP
To be honest, by the time you’ve bought the card and block and the haste of mounting it, I see it as a better way of doing things. Im lucky, money isn’t such a biggie for me at the minute.

That being said, dual loop, or two separate, I can’t decide what’s better.

I have an AsRock x570 Aqua motherboard and just ordered a 5800X3D chip to go in it.

Not sure how hot they run.

Soldato
Singularity Computers have modded theirs for standard fittings

But it's just a showcase, they don't say how they actually did it. Or even give close-ups so we could work it out.

Standard for them I guess, Singularity always came across as a little pretentious to me.

Associate
OP
Doing some reading. The GPU will always run hotter, so really in wasting one of the rads. Spent some good money getting the black ice 420 copper rads some years back. Kinda wanna use em. Managed to get two of em in the loop. Ha!

Not sure if it’s worth tampering with this card tho.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Singularity Computers have modded theirs for standard fittings

But it's just a showcase, they don't say how they actually did it. Or even give close-ups so we could work it out.

Standard for them I guess, Singularity always came across as a little pretentious to me.

Honestly I think they just stripped the mesh off the cable and cut the flexible tubing.

Just need to work out the tube diameter now and be brave lol.

Associate
So the AIO card is £3k, or you could get a standard 4090 and a block for £1800, and not waste the pump/res that comes with the AIO card.

I know if you're buying a 4090 you aren't short of cash, but imo it's still going to be quicker/easier to just put a block on a card and have proper fittings than trying to mess with an aio.

Soldato
So the AIO card is £3k, or you could get a standard 4090 and a block for £1800, and not waste the pump/res that comes with the AIO card.

I know if you're buying a 4090 you aren't short of cash, but imo it's still going to be quicker/easier to just put a block on a card and have proper fittings than trying to mess with an aio.

I agree, it's a lot of money to risk (and voiding the warranty) but if one can do it worry-free then more power to them!

If I were to spend £3k on a water cooled 4090 and wanted it unique I'd get a FE model and spend the other £1.4k commissioning a water block of my design. That's the dream. Instead though I just put a Heatkiller block on mine (link in sig).

Soldato
Can it be done? Probably
Is it worth it? No

If I was to get a stock version of the 4090 and a water block, any suggestions?

I never went wrong with EK products, so I would get an EK block.

Since it is an expensive card, I would go with one that the manufacturer allows you to remove the stock cooler without losing warranty.

Last edited:
Associate
EK are pretty overpriced these days and I've seen a fair few people on this forum mention QC issues so I'd probably avoid them myself. You won't see much of a difference in temps from waterblocks though, maybe a couple of degrees, so pick one that you like the looks of.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I wouldn't recommend EK CPU or GPU blocks as they are shockingly poor, as an example I have had 5 EK LGA 1700 and a handful of AM5 ones and they all performed very poorly as swapping to a Heat Killer / Aqua Computer CPU block straight away knocks 10-15c off the top end temps with better deltas. I have also had several blocks for the 4090's EK being one of them and it's very poor in terms of performance the Bitspower is better but the likes of Heatkiller / Optimius again seem to lead the way.

A quick way to tell is the hot spot delta, if there is a large gap it normally means poor contact

Associate
OP
Looking at the cards available in the UK you are looking to spend around £1800. Then £300 for the water block and mounting it.

I got Matrix price matched at £2800, then I get 10% cashback with my cashback app, so the total cost is £2550.

I might keep the matrix and mod it to add it to my loop.

I am concerned about the extra pump on the card, how would that work on my loop?

Back
Top Bottom