Asus Z77 Maximus V Extreme advice

Associate
hi ocuk members and friends

i have ordered the Asus Z77 Maximus V Extreme from ocuk to day, should have it 2 morro.

the reason for this is post is that i want to test the mobo to see if it works in within the 14 days warranty thingy from ocuk, just in case something wrong with it.

not sure about the warranty from asus itself.

but the the thing is i have only have some of the components

current spec

Coolermaster Cosmos 2
Asus vg278he monitor
Retail cpu= Ivy Bridge i7 3770k with stock cooler

and the Asus Z77 Maximus V Extreme mobo.

i have spare 300 watt psu Mercury model KOB AP4300X CE

so when i get the mobo 2morro what shall i do and how shall i test it.

im saving up money for other parts reason why i bought the mobo now is that most companies are not going to stock up the Asus Z77 Maximus V Extreme.

i have read 8 packs thread and i would like him to help me or any one else who has worked on or has experienced this mobo.

The rig is going to be used for 2d/3d gaming and photoshop editing and 2d/3d movies.

im going to need help in purchasing the correct ram and ssd and gpu later on been advised to buy the gtx 670 2gb/4gb to run 1 nvidia 3d vision monitor, but later on in the future i will buy 2 more asus vg278he so i will need to buy other 1 or 2 670 in sli.

recap

Q1: what shall i do when i first receive the mobo and what can i doto test the mobo with components i have mentioned.

Q2: im thinking of getting the corsair h100i so that i can install cpu on the mobo or shall i use the stock cooler but the thing when i replace it with h100i i l have to clean the tim on the cpu.

look forward to your advise

thanks

Eshan

Associate
OP
ok so let me get this Wright

outside the case testing

-install cpu and cpu stock cooler.
-1 stick of ram any cheap compatibly to fit board.
-connect the 24 pin and 8 pin

connect monitor to back of motherboard or install my 250 gts and run off tht.

problems

the psu i have hasn't got 8 pin only 4 pin its p4 psu

if install the stock cooler then that would mean when i install the h100i after market cpu cooler that il have to clean the tim off the cpu which i don't wanna do because il have to buy cpu tim cleaner.

should i order the h100i and install that instead of the stock cooler but if their problem then il have to take it anyway and clean it so i guess il stick with the stock cooler to make sure that everything working.

Associate
OP
Sometimes some boards will work with just a 4pin ATX placed in one half of the 8pin ATX socket (it only fits one half as the pins are shaped to only fit one way around)

But I don't know if such an expensive board will allow this or not.

Maybe leave the GTS250 out of the equation so as not to put to much load on the PSU.

ok i see hmm wut to do now need to find out if this 4 pin will work.

reason why i mentioned to to use my discrete gpu was to check if the 16x slot were working the pci-e, but there no point if my psu cant handle the load.

thinking of ordering a corsair Corsair AX860i Digital ATX '80 Plus Platinum' Modular Power Supply.

Associate
OP
Out of interest why did you order the Asus Z77 Maximus V Extreme? Do you have a full watercooling loop in order as well? The Asus Formulee would be a better choice as it has a better sound chip.

this rig was supposed to be finished last year it was rog custom build with water cooling in the cosmos 2 but i didn't have the funds to complete.

the reason why i went with exterm was i already bought the i7 3770k cpu so it had to be z77 board and because this was rog build i already made custom air intakes cutouts with rog logo in the cosmos

the other reason why i went with extreme board was that it offers more expansion addons in the future proof( 3/4 sli/crosfire.

the formula on the other hand supports 2 way sli and quad 2 dual gpu crossfire.

im also adding discrete sound card so the supreme fx wasn't important

Associate
OP
You will want a NEW PSU, do not use that 300W gutless wonder for anything more than whats been suggested.

A cheap PSU is a risk not worth taking, if you only needed a good 450-500W PSU for your spec then there are plenty of good ones avalible.

going to sli 2 680 or 2 670 for my 3 asus 27 vg278he in the future

for now i have 1 asus vg278he so i guess i just need 1 gpu

Associate
OP
Thankyou very much Stulid first of all, im going to research/brush up everything their is know about psu and then im going to research the above items you have listed.

i think if i remember that the extreme has cpu 8 pin and 4 pin power cable and if so could use my 4 pin power cable

Associate
OP
yeh man lol

my cpu, mobo, and cpu cooler are the same has yours and maybe the 2 670 or 2 680 in time. my case is a Coolermaster Cosmos 2 Ultra and yours is Corsair 900d and i'm still researching on psu but more a less its going to be same spec rig has yours high five^^.

Associate
OP
just received my asus maximus v extreme board about hour ago so happpppppppy i was sleep mum bought it in for u s lol.

wasn't expecting it to be that early gj ocuk

the outer red box was damaged had little hole through it but it didn't penetrate the inner black accessories box i think, cant see any visual markings just the outside has small hole where its been damaged in transportation i reckon.

i quickly checked the accessories everything look to be in order.

ohhhhh so happy my first mobo nad build ahahha so its excited has you can tell.

now i have the mobo i need to find out if i can use the cpu 4 pin psu cable can be used on the 4 pin socket.

there a 8 pin and 4 pin cpu power socket on the mobo also i need to get some cheap ram and the h100i not going to use the stock cooler because i haven't got any tim remover.

Associate
OP
ty Hybutnate

i was researching how the psu works basic stuff to get better understanding.

im definitely getting one the psu from the list Stulid provided but i don't have the money right now to buy.

i have spare psu but its only a 4 pin cpu connector and i need the 8 pin.

i need to test the mobo because by the time i get all the parts it will be like 2 months have gone past.

guys when i do the test outside, do i need to connect the mouse too or just keyboard and the connecter i have to use are they ps2 or usb .

Associate
OP
guys recommend me1 stick ram for testing the mobo out

i'm a bit confused with dual ddr3 ram when it comes to the memory standard

PC-2700
PC2-3200
PC2-4200 )
PC2-5300
PC3-6400
PC3-8500
PC3-10600
PC3-12800
PC3-16000
PC3-17000
PC3-19200

which one do i need the pc3 -16000 and what memory speed

Last edited:
Associate
OP
ok sorry missed your post was out shopping )

ok i just got back from shopping bought

corsair vs 450 psu

1 stick kingston hyper x 2 gb ddr3 -1600 cl9 240-pinn dimm

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-100-KS

h100i

im going to use the stock cooler and psu and 1 ram stick to test the motherboard.

do i need attach mouse if so usb or ps2 mouse and same with keybaord

Last edited:
Associate
OP
the asus maximus v extreme supports the ps2 port for both keyboard and moue.

im using the usb mouse and keyboard the uefi should support usb i think.

Stulid

im now ready to test the motherboard

have i got everything check my above post

is the ram and psu ok

Associate
OP
srry double post was an error

ok one last question

what would you advise

put the stock cooler on or put the h100i.

the thing is if i put the h100i on to test the mobo then when i put the mobo in the case i l have to take it off which means removing tim and reapplying.

or

i can use the stock to test the mobo and then when i get all my final components then il take the stock out and remove tim and then i can put thr h100i cooler on without putting in tim on .

Associate
OP
i know i don't need case to test but after the test when i have everything must go in the case, (i was thinking ahead).
and thanks for pic

ok wish me good luck going to quickly read the maunal first

get familiar with the layout of the mobo

then put he cpu and stock cooler
put the ram and wire everything up

cpu 8 pin 24-pin

connect the monitor the 27 3d monitor
connect mouse and key board

press start

what im i looking for when it comes on the bios or the boot thingy.

and how do i turn it off i have start and reset on the mobo

Back
Top Bottom