• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Athlon X2 4400 or Opteron 175

Associate
I want to know which processor i should go for in my new system; X2 4400 or Opt 175. I have looked on the AMD site and read a number of reviews, everything points to them being almost identical. I have read that the Opteron is of higher quality i.e. passed more rigorous testing. The Opteron is meant to be more stable when OC'd. Any help and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
Processors are either stable, or they're not. With regards to the Opteron being of higher quality, well yes, that is true. AMD target them at the business market, as workstation and server processors, so they are of the best silicon and go through more testing. That in itself doesn't really mean anything, but since they are the cream of the crop so to speak, they often achieve their default speeds at slightly lower voltages than Athlon 64s do.

And that means they tend to run cooler and have a little bit more headroom for overclocking. I'd pick the Opteron if it was of a similar price. Ideally though, I'd go for a cheaper one, like the 165, since it will probably reach around the same speed, but cost less.

Soldato
Agent WD40 said:
Isn't the 270 2x 170s?

No, the 270 is a version of the 170 that works in 2-way CPU environments and is Socket 940 only. Therefore if you have a dual Socket 940 board you can get 2x270s and have 4 processors.

Associate
grizzla said:
I want to know which processor i should go for in my new system; X2 4400 or Opt 175.
I had to make the same decision recently, and went for the Opty 175 as I saw it on special for £340.

The Opty is supposed to run a little cooler, and on slightly less voltage, than the X2.

The X2 4400+ is on special this week at OcUK though...

cheers
v.f.

Back
Top Bottom