• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** ATI RADEON 7950 OVERCLOCKING & HEAVEN RESULTS!! **

Soldato
GTX 480 prices 26th Nov 2010, haha £189.99....Epic Fail ;)

I bought my GTX 470 about a month before (in October) for £174.99 plus shipping. From memory it was about a month later that the 480 was on the same special. Maybe Gibbo can give the exact date, but I can absolutely promise you it was very close to the date I got my card because I was peeved that I could have had a 480 for only around a tenner more.

470-2.jpg

Might have been December? or at the very very latest January.

Looking at the launch date for the 570 here

http://www.techpowerup.com/135450/GeForce-GTX-570-Specifications-Release-Date-Leaked.html

It seems the 570 was launched in December. So, it's highly likely that it was the end of December and I was 30 days out.

As I say, I am sure Gibbo can confirm this, because the massive price drops on their super specials came right around the time of the launch of the 570 and 580.

Edit. Right, well I posted an aftermarket cooler on his Facebook page in March of 2011. So he must have had it before then. Have asked him to dig up the date he bought it.

Soldato
So basically EOL cards were sold very cheap.

That's what you are basing your industry pricing view on.

Where did I say that? What I did say was -

The only cards that have really been truly stunning value over the past couple of years were the 470 and 480. I mean for cripe's sake, a 480 could be had in November of 2010 for £189.99 with free delivery :eek:

The hilarity of course was that the 570 cost around £300 and was pretty much the same card, only cooler and quieter. But, what most people missed was the first fix for Fermi - Adaptive performance. This led to very low idle temps, even on the 470 and 480 with those pathetic 1" fan coolers.

With a saving like that the noise at load was worth putting up with TBH.

Now had you read it properly you would have seen me point out this in the first line.

I don't think AMD made the same "mass stock" mistakes that Nvidia did.

Which basically is spot on. Nvidia made loads of cards that did not sell (because they were too hot, noisy and so on, and so they had to be sold off cheap.

Which would be true, no?

So now tell me. Where did I say that industry pricing is based on that? nowhere?

Soldato
I think the reason the gtx470 cards got so low on price around october/novemember was because the 6870 was released at £200 and below which was direct competition for the gtx470.

Soldato
I think the reason the gtx470 cards got so low on price around october/novemember was because the 6870 was released at £200 and below which was direct competition for the gtx470.

Nvidia stopped making them, they were just old stock.

They just didn't sell very well. ATI had a massive lead with the 5 series and Nvidia were just too late to the party with cards that were, at best, marginally better only very expensive and hot loud and guzzled power.

Which, at those prices £450 and £350 if I recall, was too much.

Within six months they were half price. Adaptive performance drivers (single monitor) really did sort out the temps at idle IMO. Mine idled on a stock cooler at 42c. I only put the Zalman on because OCUK had it for £25 (very cheap) and elsehwhere it was £45 or so, and the noise at load really annoyed me.

Cracking card tbh. Just a shame it had peeny vram and got pwned by BF3 or no doubt I would still have it :D

Soldato
Many thanks again gibbo and like last time a couple of questions :)

1. what type of heat increase have you seen?

2. do these cards have 1x8pin+1x6pin or 2x6pin ?

3. Are these the same PCB as the 7970 ? ie will they fit the EK 7970 waterblocks ?

4. If not when will there be some 7950 block's.

and a couple of requests for testing if possible....

1. how all these config's perform on bf3 @1080 and 1440 in the same system

2. and what sort off performance we get in heaven with a 7970+7950 in crossfire with stock and modded bios

Understandable if you cant as you already do enough and cheers for the heads up.

Soldato
Not sure it helps Mr May but at 1000mhz with no volt increase I have seen no heat increase.

I will push harder with my 7970, but sadly there are issues between CCC and Afterburner. I would love to uninstall Afterburner, but I don't like leaving CCC in charge of manning the fans so to speak. Any higher and it just crashed. I'm sure it's not my card, as my friend with a VTX had the same issue and decided to forfeit Afterburner, but I am a worrier lol.

Associate
ATI RADEON 7950 Maxed OC on Asus OC BIOS (1180MHz Core / 7200MHz Memory)

1680x1050 Resolution with 4x as per OcUK Benchmark

I'm looking at the score of 1936 for this benchmark. Isn't this what the overclocked 7970 got?

And circa £350 pricing for these is good.

OcUK Staff
OP
Many thanks again gibbo and like last time a couple of questions :)

1. what type of heat increase have you seen?

2. do these cards have 1x8pin+1x6pin or 2x6pin ?

3. Are these the same PCB as the 7970 ? ie will they fit the EK 7970 waterblocks ?

4. If not when will there be some 7950 block's.

and a couple of requests for testing if possible....

1. how all these config's perform on bf3 @1080 and 1440 in the same system

2. and what sort off performance we get in heaven with a 7970+7950 in crossfire with stock and modded bios

Understandable if you cant as you already do enough and cheers for the heads up.

1. The cards are cooler, but the coolers are inferior, as such 10c or so hotter.

2. 2x 6-pin connectors, even on the OC models.

3. Too hard to say right now, but they do look every so slightly different!

4. Most likely!

Associate
Were the first with stock and just like 7970 will have more than anyone else plus maybe a couple of exclusives on certain OC models. :)

Random question but how long does it take for delivery on items, i pre-ordered the 7970 ocuk edition that gets released on the 27th and i wondered because i havent purchased anything from here in some time.

Associate
1. The cards are cooler, but the coolers are inferior, as such 10c or so hotter.

Can live with that, in a proper case setup. :)

So as far as I've read up on the 79xx series now, they will run with the same PSU as any other cards. So a 650W should do well enough for these?

Back
Top Bottom