• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ATi Radeon HD3870 Review and Impressions!

Soldato
OP
How does that benchmark for 06 compare to the pro card

My Pro at stock scored

3DMark Score 9118 3DMarks
SM 2.0 Score 3862 Marks
SM 3.0 Score 4232 Marks
CPU Score 2338 Marks

With the 7.10 beta's albeit and the CPU clocked slightly lower.(2.65Ghz)

Gareth can I have a link to your score? Because unless your Pro is clocked at XT levels or your CPU goes way over the top of mines it wont score 100-200 more

Soldato
My Pro at stock scored

3DMark Score 9118 3DMarks
SM 2.0 Score 3862 Marks
SM 3.0 Score 4232 Marks
CPU Score 2338 Marks

With the 7.10 beta's albeit and the CPU clocked slightly lower.(2.65Ghz)

Gareth can I have a link to your score? Because unless your Pro is clocked at XT levels or your CPU goes way over the top of mines it wont score 100-200 more
yes its clocked to xt speed because thats what it basicly is...

Caporegime
With the greatest thanks to Gibbo, I now have two of these sat in the car waiting for hometime! Cheers mate!

Will post up some crossfire results as soon as I can get the things set up!

Soldato
OP
I take it you didn't get Company of Heroes or Call of Juarez with the card J?

I have several copies of Call of Juarez now but didnt get one with my card, no biggy to me tho ;)

The more results I see it is just confirming that the card will match the HD2900 like for like! So the manufacturing process only makes it smaller, more efficient and quieter! Not that this was to be unexpected.

Last edited:
Soldato
Now I'm not meaning to start a flame war here, but those results seem to be similar to what my 2900XT got.

Can I downclock my CPU to 2.7 and do some comparisons with me 8800GT tonight and not be flamed?

Soldato
It's nice to know these cards are quiet - this is a big bonus for me.

Do they spin up at any point? e.g. when you cold-boot the PC? If so what is the noise like then?

(It's often an indicator of what the noise will be like when your fan gets clogged up with dust and you've been playing some hectic 3d game for several hours in a warm room in summer :) )

Soldato
Now I'm not meaning to start a flame war here, but those results seem to be similar to what my 2900XT got.

Can I downclock my CPU to 2.7 and do some comparisons with me 8800GT tonight and not be flamed?

I think its pretty obvious that the GT will win out on most things and that the new 38xx series cards are just a die shrink and they pretty much perform on par with the 2900 series given the same clock.

All good stuff though.

Thanks for taking the time to review the card mate :)

Soldato
OP
I think its pretty obvious that the GT will win out on most things and that the new 38xx series cards are just a die shrink and they pretty much perform on par with the 2900 series given the same clock.

Thanks for taking the time to review the card mate :)

Its not finished yet but I wont do too much because we know the conclusion ;)

Anyways I dont mind Willihub, I said from the start what I expected the results to be

Back
Top Bottom