ATX 3.1 Availability

Soldato
I've seen that a few manufacturers have announced ATX 3.1 PSUs at CES and otherwise, had anyone seen/heard anything about availability?

I'll be replacing my aging PSU soon owing to fan noise, despite a good near 10 years of service!

My GPU doesn't require 12VHPWR but I want a new PSU to support ATX 3.1 (and 12V2x6) for when I eventually do get a new GPU.

Not much talk about but from what I can find availability appeared to be anticipated around now/Q1.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
hwbusters has a review of MSI's updated A1000G PCIE5, so I imagine it should be soon (within a month or two), though I think MSI's GL PSUs were already shipping as 12v2x6, so this might just be a recert and rebadge for some PSUs.

Man of Honour
Is there any functional difference apart from the 12V-2×6 cable?
According to hwbusters, the holdup time has been reduced (downgraded) and the PSU has to support the motherboard having spikes through the PCI-E slot.

I’m afraid I have to disagree with the change at 12ms @ full load from 17ms. This is wild because, in this section, ATX v3.0 PSUs are better than ATX v3.1 ones! Intel contacted UPS manufacturers to confirm that the switch to battery time is lower than 12ms. Still, in any case, hold-up caps age, losing capacity, and besides that, it is always better to have more reserve power.

So far, the 12V rail was limited up to 5.5A on the PCIe slot, and according to the new ATX v3.1, it can have spikes up to 13.75A for 0.1ms or 165W (with a nominal voltage of 12V).

Man of Honour
Felt like the atx standard was static forever now is changing every 2 minutes. Is this the last tweak for the foreseeable?
There's more than a few voices who say the 12vhwpr / 12v2x6 is just fatally flawed and will never be 100% 'fixed', but who knows.

Back
Top Bottom