Aurora Borealis red alert for the Uk tonight.

Man of Honour
Can just about see it here - not very impressive though :( (though pretty crazy it is possible to see at all) weirdly people about 10 miles south and a little west of me are putting some absolutely stunning pictures on Facebook.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Can just about see it here - not very impressive though :( (though pretty crazy it is possible to see at all) weirdly people about 10 miles south and a little west of me are putting some absolutely stunning pictures on Facebook.

We got a really good showing here but cameras aren’t half over emphasising the effect. It looks nothing like that to the naked eye.

Caporegime
I forgot completely until my mate messaged me. Didn’t have time to set up my proper camera and tripod so just took this on my phone.

0AKsWyQ.jpeg

Man of Honour
Look through your phone camera.

It does appear to be diminishing.

For some reason it isn't anything like some people are getting, even with basic phone cameras and no editing, dunno if there is haze here or something - it is distinct in peripheral vision but barely noticeable if you look directly at it. It has ebbed and flowed a bit over the last half hour or so.

Soldato
I stood for 20 minutes to let my night vision adjust. At first it looked like a weird cloud formation but as I looked at it after a few minutes I realised it was the Aurora. Yes a decent phone camera with a few seconds exposure will emphasise it, but let your night vision adjust and you start to see the colours pop a bit.

We are rural which helps of course.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah drove out a few miles and could faintly see the pinks and the greens a lot better through the camera. Unbelievable stuff. Only went to iceland the other year to see them and left disappointed. I'm glad to finally get some good images.

Back
Top Bottom