Backup of Apache/MySQL data

Associate
Hi folks,
I'm trying to learn Linux. Where I work, we have a Linux dedicated web server from Fasthosts running Fedora Core 3. I have setup a testing server in-house running the same. I am wanting to know what the best way is to have an automated job that backs up all files from the sites directory for Apache, and all data from MySQL. I would like this to be copied onto the 2nd drive in each machine, then on the live server, have it dial into FTP on our network and download it to there. Each backup would then send an email to let me know the backup was successful.

What is the best way to go about this? I realise I can do it with basic Bash commands such as tar and run it as a Cron job, but is there a piece of software that could simplify things for me? Also, whats the best way of backing up MySQL? I presume I could backup the actual data files, or somehow dump the data in a script and back that up. Any thoughts?

Matt

Man of Honour
Seconded. Use 'mysqldump --opt' to dump the databases, then rsync (you can use rsync either locally or over the internet, though it's best to set up SSH on the remote server if you want to keep it secure).

Back
Top Bottom