Baltimore Bridge

Man of Honour
What kind of bridge would be able to withstand a direct hit from a ship that size? How much kinetic energy would the structure have to stop - not just slow down, but instantly stop?

"Our lowest estimate of how much force it would take to slow the Dali, if it were fully loaded, is around 12 million newtons, about a third of the force it took to launch the Saturn V rocket for the Apollo moon missions.

And our higher-end estimates, reviewed by several civil engineering experts, suggest it is realistic to put the force of the impact with the pier at upward of 100 million newtons.

“It’s at a scale of more energy than you can really get your mind around,” said Ben Schafer, a professor of civil and systems engineering at Johns Hopkins."

I think the short answer really is not many bridges, old or new lol.

Soldato
Which is why according to an expert these days they would build an earth rampart for want of a better word around the bridge support to absorb the energy of the impact before it hit the structure, when it was built the average ship size was around 44,000 tons these days its nearer 300,000 tons, a massive difference in kinetic energy

Caporegime
What kind of bridge would be able to withstand a direct hit from a ship that size? How much kinetic energy would the structure have to stop - not just slow down, but instantly stop?

"It’s like getting hit by ~5200 bananas going at Mach 1" lol

Mach1 banana sounds like a good forum name

Caporegime
[...]

"It’s like getting hit by ~5200 bananas going at Mach 1" lol

Yup, it's an insane amount of force, as Werewolf pointed out earlier in the thread. That's why they instead aim to deflect ships away from hitting bridges etc.. rather than stopping them.

Soldato
The amount of trash talking and 'conspiracies' on the Bridge are just ridiculous. Even politicians here suggesting that it was x persons fault etc.

The other thing is the repub's are saying the fed shouldn't assist in paying for the bridge to be replaced. If this had happened in Texas with a major port for example, they would be screaming for this to be done.

This is a major port, and anyone trying to play this for political gain is an idiot. This impacts EVERYONE. I hate politics when it's like this.

Last edited:
Soldato
It does however potentially explain a fair bit about the build quality of his cars :p

I can't imagine any actual qualified engineer even entertaining the idea unless there was no other option to ever build something else.
Besides anything else that isn't visible to the naked eye, there is going to be a lot of that metal that is bent and is going to be faster to replace than try and fit back together.

I also suspect any replacement is going to be a design that isn't "single point of failure", and will be built to current standards, not the standards of the 1960's.
There is currently a big push in the industry to reuse existing/old steelwork, as long as not damaged. "circular economy". Lots of guides have been published to help engineers assess their capacity, and website to buy/sell old steel. So it wouldn't surprise me to potentially reuse whatever steel ie still intact/decent condition.
What does reuse mean in this context?

Do you mean fishing out the bits truss work giving it an inspection and maybe a protective coat before using it on a new project? Or is there more involved?
I don't know I'm afraid. I haven't really had much opportunity to reuse steel to know its limitations.

Caporegime
This is a major port, and anyone trying to play this for political gain is an idiot. This impacts EVERYONE. I hate politics when it's like this.

Welp...

Driving the news: In a statement on laying out its "official position," the Freedom Caucus offered several proposed limits on the funding.

1. That the U.S. seek "maximum liability" from the foreign shipping companies involved in the collision and draw from all available funds.
  2. That any federal funding allocated for the bridge be offset – likely with budget cuts – and that all "burdensome regulations," such as the Endangered Species Act, are waived.
  3. That the bill be "limited to the physical structure repairs with a federal nexus" and not include funding for any "unrelated projects."
  4. That the Biden administration lift its pause on liquefied natural gas (LNG) exports "before Congress considers appropriating any funding for the bridge reconstruction."'

(Source).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom