Basic Cyber security course

Associate
Hi,

My missus recently clicked a link in a dodgy text message, then received a call from someone pretending to be her bank, and convinced her to send a decent sum of money to a 'safe' account. In her generally stressed out state (dealing with an early Cancer diagnosis) she followed the instructions until thankfully the bank put a hold on the payment and locked her accounts down.

Id like her to sit down for a few hours and update her knowledge on cyber security and wondered if anyone could recommend a free online course she could do ?, I have done the Open University Introduction to Cyber Security course although reviewing the course again seems a bit too in-depth for her needs, just needs something like not clicking dodgy links, what to look for with safe browsing, and when to potentially recognise someone is trying to scam you. I have sat her down and explained all of this multiple times although feel a quick course she could plow through during her post operation recovery time off would drive it home more.

Thanks.

Caporegime
Yeah the OU course is perhaps very different from what you need here, sounds like some more basic guidance is needed perhaps similar to that offered to the elderly etc..

Something like this might be useful, just basic guidance for staying safe online:

For example, this exact situation is covered there:
How can I check my bank transfer is safe?
Stop and double-check before making any payments. Do you know the person you’re sending money to? Has someone phoned you out of the blue asking for money or claiming to be from your bank? Have you been put under pressure to make a payment? If something doesn’t feel right, it’s fine to stop and check the situation with someone you know and trust. Some banks now have a warning when you transfer money to someone. This prompts you to think twice that the person you are sending money to is genuine and to double-check the details are correct.

Last edited:
Soldato
First rule has to be never initiate a payment because someone contacted you out of the blue, whether by text, e-mail or phone. Your bank will never ask you to move money. Once you absolutely understand that, you should be ok.

Associate
OP
Yeah the OU course is perhaps very different from what you need here, sounds like some more basic guidance is needed perhaps similar to that offered to the elderly etc..

Something like this might be useful, just basic guidance for staying safe online:

For example, this exact situation is covered there:
Yeah your right. This is great, thank you - never thought of putting something like this infront of her (considering she's 40!) :D

Thanks.

Associate
OP
First rule has to be never initiate a payment because someone contacted you out of the blue, whether by text, e-mail or phone. Your bank will never ask you to move money. Once you absolutely understand that, you should be ok.
..youd think :D

Soldato
Her bank itself might have some guidance material.

I just think if you go into anything more technical it might confuse her more. If it is a simple rule, i.e. never transfer money, it is better.

The thing is, when someone is initiating out of the blue, it is always a scam.

Tell her to ignore everything as a default.

Rgds

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeah your right. This is great, thank you - never thought of putting something like this infront of her (considering she's 40!) :D

Thanks.

Maybe omit the front page and back page and edit out a couple of the age UK mentions or something then just print the rest! :D

(Alternatively, there may be similar guides available not specifically marketed to the elderly.)

Associate
OP
Maybe omit the front page and back page and edit out a couple of the age UK mentions or something then just print the rest! :D

(Alternatively, there may be similar guides available not specifically marketed to the elderly.)
I just sent her the link and told her to lock her phone away until she reads it! lol

Associate
OP
Her bank itself might have some guidance material.

I just think if you go into anything more technical it might confuse her more. If it is a simple rule, i.e. never transfer money, it is better.

The thing is, when someone is initiating out of the blue, it is always a scam.

Tell her to ignore everything as a default.

Rgds

Yeah I think she wants to learn a bit more about it anyway, bit more than the average person knows. So I sent her the link dowie recommended, and the open university course so I'll see how she gets on. Interesting point re the bank as well, will look into that. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom