Battletech

Associate
For years I have admired the big stompy robots of the Battletech universe from afar, played the PC games and thought that the tabletop would be far too complex and time consuming to pick up.

I picked up the new Beginner Box at Christmas having heard good things about the state of the game and have to say i'm impressed. The new plastic minis look great and the game plays nicely with the most basic ruleset. As a teenager I played 40k through the first few iterations, having recently picked it up again I miss a lot of the details that were cut out to streamline the game, but with the systems in Battletech you can add in exactly as much detail as you want.

Anyone else play? I'm hoping to get into the local game shop to see about playing a few games, and it seems to be getting a lot more exposure in gaming circles.

Soldato
i've heard good things about the Beginner Box, a lot more freidnly

i watched the cardtoon show when it first aired and it was what got me in to it. Looking at youtube and the first 30secs i feel bad for younger me :D
Mechwarrior 3 / Mech Commander Gold was ere it was at for me. Mech Warrior 4 wasnt bad either.
i have the the orginal from around 1985s or so with the BattleSpace: The BattleTech Game of Space Combat game as well.

petty much like your self i never actually had any one to play with so it just sort of got put on a shelf and forgotten.

i played the PC games and read a number of books theres so much content and lore out there for the the BT universes.
these days i think i'll just be on the books. People and time reasons :/
but good on you, and i'm gad to see a revival of the Battletech Universe.

Associate
Love the universe and have read most of the orignal story books. The new minitures are far nicer than the old as expected with the age etc. What annoys me is I don't see any way of ordering indivudal mechs. I'm not about to buy boxes only for one mech.

A quick search shows Megamek is still going which is nice as well. For those online, board game, games :)

Soldato
this makes me sad :'(
i need people to play with !!!
and the ££ to properly give this justice to buy EVERYTHING !!!

i stll might back it.. i have 17days to think on it right... right.... right.......

Last edited:
Associate
this makes me sad :'(
i need people to play with !!!
and the ££ to properly give this justice to buy EVERYTHING !!!

i stll might back it.. i have 17days to think on it right... right.... right.......
Well while I doubt we're close enough to play, here's a good vid talking about everything you can get, including the stretch goals.

Associate
Final 3 days of the kickstarter and they're close to hitting $6million. All stretch goals have been announced and people seem confident it'll pass $7 million.

They've updated the kickstarter page a lot and it's FAR clearer what you get at each backer level and all the addons you can pick.

This was done by someone for the $5m mark. At $7m Company gets another free pack and Battalion+ gets 2.

[edit] Updated pic below.

Last edited:
Associate
i want to i do.. but i cant justify it :/
not when i hve so much other content sitting around as well and other things going on :/

Completely understandable and we still need to add on tax. Shipping will be from within the uk though I've read. I've not sunk a lot into this Battletech KS and a good amount of fuel is nostalgia. I also really wanted the 4" Timberwolf (Mad Cat). My plastic pile of shame only grows, made worse considering most of it is from 15 odd years ago.

5 hours to go. They've past $7million which means, effectively, all pledge levels have double the amount of plastic. Which is a crazy value for money if you can justify it.

$7million+ puts them in the top 20 of all kickstarters.

image.png

Last edited:
Man of Honour
if any one is interested HumbleBundle have the Battletech Books on at the moment :
BattleTech Book Bundle
it really is a steal !
I'm not sure if you happen to know but would this ebook version of Decision at Thunder Rift be the same one that's widely panned in reviews as being a really poor conversion? I ask as this is the first book most people recommend and I was planning on getting a physical copy after seeing reviews online, but if this is such a good deal I might go for it.

Soldato
I'm not sure if you happen to know but would this ebook version of Decision at Thunder Rift be the same one that's widely panned in reviews as being a really poor conversion? I ask as this is the first book most people recommend and I was planning on getting a physical copy after seeing reviews online, but if this is such a good deal I might go for it.
honestly i dont know yet, appologies.
i started at Wolfves on the Boarder and move to Decision at Thunder Rift in paper book format in the long past time.

i would guess this is the bad version though only becuase of the cover art and calling the books "Legions"
you can see the original art work for both here : artwork

at current price of 14.40 and 60 books it works out to be 24p a book or something like that if the minimum is paid.

Last edited:
Soldato
more an fyi for those that missed it last time

71 books on offer may be worth a check out for those interested

lots look to have been going on with the Kickstarter checking the updates, not all of it good?

Back
Top Bottom