Been overcharged for petrol

dal

dal

Associate
Hi all,
When I say I've been overcharged I don't mean because of high fuel prices I mean it should have cost me what is on the receipt which is £47.37 ( see below ) but it was actually £51.51
and it was at a Asda pay at pump transaction so there is no drinks or sweets to increase the amount.
I'm not sure sure if I can botherered to contact Asda for the £4.14 I've been overcharged but I should really, it just goes to show you really do need to check your receipts which I don't normally do but very now and then I do a MPG test where I put my mileage, amount of fuel and cost per litre into a spreadsheet ( nerdy I know :() and it's only when the total cost came up with a different figure to what I paid I questioned it, I checked my bank and I definitely paid £51.51 last night at the pump.

Anyone else had a simular thing with fuel.

WZaDs4X.jpg

Associate
I'm not sure with debit but for a cc transaction I would just go straight to dispute completed online. If cc co asked how I tried to sort it with the retailer, I would say I tried to talk to the pump, but it just gave me the silent treatment.

Last edited:
Associate
That does seem weird. I guess it's possible that the pump has allocated a higher amount to the card, and will correct it in a few days - but I thought normally if it was doing that it would pre-charge a fixed fee like £100.

There have been more issues with things like this since people started demanding instant transaction updates from their banks - in the old days it took a few days for debit transactions to hit the account, and some systems would make adjustments in the background before they landed. But now that people can see transactions immediately you get info before corrections can come through.

I'd be inclined to wait a few days to see what happens - since you've got documentary evidence with a receipt it's not like you'd be relying on CCTV or something like that. But no harm in chasing it up immediately. I certainly wouldn't let it go.

Last edited:
Don
Yeah those pumps pre-approve an amount you can put into the car, I've seen all sorts of payment amounts which were adjusted a few days later. A bit cheeky but not the end of the world :) I hope you see the refunded asap

Associate
My post was deleted, to simplify the interpretation, overcharging is common place these days.
Lots of people wouldn't bother and just accept it, and cannot be bothered to complain.

Soldato
Hi all,
When I say I've been overcharged I don't mean because of high fuel prices I mean it should have cost me what is on the receipt which is £47.37 ( see below ) but it was actually £51.51
and it was at a Asda pay at pump transaction so there is no drinks or sweets to increase the amount.
I'm not sure sure if I can botherered to contact Asda for the £4.14 I've been overcharged but I should really, it just goes to show you really do need to check your receipts which I don't normally do but very now and then I do a MPG test where I put my mileage, amount of fuel and cost per litre into a spreadsheet ( nerdy I know :() and it's only when the total cost came up with a different figure to what I paid I questioned it, I checked my bank and I definitely paid £51.51 last night at the pump.

Anyone else had a simular thing with fuel.

I have had something maybe similar, I got a fuel receipt off one of the employees for £116.59 but £122.08 came out of the account.

Thing was I only got the VAT receipt, not the merchant card rcpt part as well, so I couldn't be sure there weren't extras the guy got and he said he didn't think he did, but couldn't remember.

dal

dal

Associate
OP
Well I am going to try and get it back, hopefully it will just be auto refunded/ adjusted as others have said. I've just sent a message to asda via the online customer service email system. The only thing is there isn't a section for petrol - I guess most people don't need to return their petrol so I had to send it in the groceries section and hope they can pass it on to someone who can deal with it.

Don
My post was deleted, to simplify the interpretation, overcharging is common place these days.
Lots of people wouldn't bother and just accept it, and cannot be bothered to complain.

Your post had nothing to do with overcharging at a petrol pump, it was some drivel about government payments to avanti over a train contract.

You don't need to simplify the interpretation, you need to find one that has any relevance whatsoever :p

Associate
I had a similar thing happen at the start of January at a tesco pay at pump, but the opposite happened. The money has never come out of my account nearly 3 weeks later, was for £48.38 and i still have the receipt showing the payment went through and was authorised. Obviously i am not going to query this.

Associate
Your post had nothing to do with overcharging at a petrol pump, it was some drivel about government payments to avanti over a train contract.

You don't need to simplify the interpretation, you need to find one that has any relevance whatsoever :p
If you read the article it was about overcharging, free money and what the directors and managers thought of overcharging the tax payers.

Overcharging is common these days, if they can get away with it they will.

Don
If you read the article it was about overcharging, free money and what the directors and managers thought of overcharging the tax payers.

Overcharging is common these days, if they can get away with it they will.

I did read it, and at no point did I think "wow this reminds me of the OP", it just read like a boring RSS story

A quick google would have yielded infinitely more relevant sources to quote, for example:

etc..etc...

In the interests of fairness, here is the link you posted, in case I'm being wildly unfair:
www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/avanti-west-coast-bosses-joked-28458445.amp

Back
Top Bottom