BENQ/ASUS 120Hz+ Easy LightBoost hotkey app on AMD/nVidia! (Strobe backlight. Zero motion blur. Bett

Associate
OP
i'm interested to know if the lower 120hz PWM backlight frequency is still noticeable as flicker? I mean whats the point in switching to a xl2411t or w/e if the darn thing still has no phosphor or 'lit state' persistence (e.g. CRT/CCFL + max brightness)?
I seem to be bothered more by PWM artifacts than by the flicker:

(LCD Motion Artifacts 101)

I find I'm not bothered by PWM flicker, but am bothered by the rough-looking motion blur that PWM causes. Also, many LCD displays are often excessively bright, and excessive brightness hurts my eyes. As a result, LightBoost looks pleasing on my eyes. The one-strobe-per-refresh nature completely eliminates PWM artifacts. It does look similar to 120 Hz CRT flicker though. So it depends on if you are more bothered by the PWM flicker or by the PWM motion artifacts.

Is your sensitivity due to flicker, since you never got eyestrain with CRT? Is it the excessive brightness of modern LCD's that is bothering you? Is it the PWM artifacts that is bothering you? Is it the bigger displays (more peripheral vision coverage) that is bothering you? There can be many causes of eyestrain, not just PWM flicker and sometimes PWM flicker ended up being the true cause; but it sometimes is a red herring when there are other causes too.

It is hard to say if LightBoost will relieve your eyes. Some people get more eyestrain with it, while others got less eyestrain with it. It's somewhat unpredictable.

Associate
Hi

I got this working and it was fantastic (Once I figured out how to stop it from using vsync at the same time) however on restart it stops working. Do I have to apply it in Nvidia everytime i boot?
I also couldnt find 'Enable Stereoscopic 3D settings for all displays' in my Display control panel, so i skipped it and it worked fine, but again didnt work on restart.

To stop it from using Vsync and locking my FPS to 120 I unticked the 'Enable Stereoscopic 3D' in my Nvidia settings, and had wonderful 300fps lightboost goodness. I have a feeling doing this though resets it on reboot.

Associate
I tried the tweak today, and maybe I'm missing something, but I'm trying to adjust the colors from Nvidia's Control Panel and nothing I change has any effect. I can see the preview of what changes when I'm moving the bar, but once I stop moving it it resets to the default value, even though the bar has moved and I clicked apply. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Associate
I switched back to the XL2411T driver, but Nvidia is still detecting my monitor as an Asus monitor, and I can only select 120Hz, the 144Hz option is gone, even from Window's Display advanced properties.

Please help me, how do I revert all changes made by the tweak? What are the default values for the registry?

EDIT: Turns out I had to override again with the XL2411T values. So for anyone who wishes to change back to 144Hz here's the INF: http://dfiles.eu/files/wcmdqa83y

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I have now added the new Easy ToastyX Strobelight method to this LightBoost instructions:

Easy LightBoost: Completely Eliminate Motion Blur on 120Hz Monitors

Supported Monitors: ASUS: VG248QE, ASUS VG278H, ASUS VG278HE,
BENQ XL2411T, BENQ XL2420T, BENQ XL2420TX, BENQ XL2420TE, BENQ XL2720T,
Acer HN274HBbmiiid.

-- Easy LightBoost via ToastyX Strobelight App
-- This is the world's easiest way to use LightBoost to eliminate motion blur.
-- Easily turn ON/OFF LightBoost via a keypress!*No hacks. No registry tweaks.
-- Also works on 3-monitor surround setups. Does not require 3D Vision drivers.

1. First, Download ToastyX Strobelight.
    IMPORTANT: You must have a supported 120Hz ASUS or 120Hz BENQ monitor!
  2. Next, run strobelight-setup to install strobed video modes. Then reboot.
    strobelight-setup.png
    strobelight.png

IMPORTANT: To easily turn ON/OFF LightBoost, you must install at least one strobed refresh rate AND at*least one*non-strobed refresh rate.
  3. Finally, after reboot, run strobelight to initialize LightBoost for the first time.
    NOTE: You can add strobelight.exe to the Startup Folder, so it starts up everytime you starts Windows.*
  4. Test LightBoost using a motion test. View Moving Photo Test at TestUFO.com.
    Turn ON/OFF LightBoost while viewing this motion test to see the big difference.
    Test in Opera 15+, FireFox 24+, Chrome or other 120Hz-friendly web browser.

Useful LightBoost Tips

• Turning ON/OFF LightBoost via hotkeys
    Control+Alt+Plus -- turns ON LightBoost
    Control+Alt+Minus -- turns OFF LightBoost
  • Other Ways to Verify that LightBoost is enabled:
    (a) Check monitor OSD menus. The "LightBoost" adjustment should be unlocked.
    (b) Wave a finger in front of a white screen. You should see a stroboscopic effect.
    (c) Use a motion test such as www.testufo.com.
    Turn ON/OFF LightBoost while repeating test, to see the big difference.

• For better LightBoost colors, adjust your nVidia Control Panel:
    nVidia Control Panel Desktop Brightness = 52%
    nVidia Control Panel Desktop Contrast = 45%
    nVidia Control Panel Desktop Gamma = 0.70
    This compensates for the LightBoost gamma bump (washed out colors).
    NOTE: If you get a purple tint, lower the Contrast setting via monitor's menu until tint disappears. You can also adjust while viewing the Lagom Contrast Test Pattern.
  • For optimal benefit, run your games at triple-digit frame rates.
    Microstutters become easier to detect if they're no longer masked by motion blur. To eliminate stutters, run LightBoost at frame rates matching the refresh rate.
    (a) Run at 100fps @ 100Hz, or run at 120fps @ 120Hz.
    ...Adjust game details or upgrade your GPU. Also try FXAA instead of FSAA.
    (b) Experiment with VSYNC ON (may lag) or use "Adaptive VSYNC" (less input lag)
    ...These settings makes LightBoost framerate=Hz motion look much smoother, to allow game turning/strafing panning motion as smooth as TestUFO or PixPerAn.
    (c) Use a good 1000Hz gaming mouse.
    ...Mouse microstutters can hurt motion clarity. LightBoost benefits from a mouse*that can turn left/right as smoothly as keyboard strafing left/right.
  • For other information, see the LightBoost FAQ.
    If you are unable to turn off LightBoost, simply re-run strobelight-setup.exe and install non-strobed refresh rates. Alternatively, simply unplug your monitor's power cable for a few seconds to deactivate LightBoost.

These instructions replace the ones that were posted last May and earlier, as ToastyX Strobelight now makes LightBoost as easy as pressing a keypress -- no registry tweaks and no INF files are needed anymore. ToastyX says Strobelight also works on both AMD and nVidia as well.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Moderators, can you do me a big favour and edit the topic title? More models of LightBoost monitors were discovered since the thread was created.

OLD TOPIC TITLE:
"BENQ XL2411T - Zero motion blur tweak! Looks like CRT (Enable LightBoost strobe backlight in 2D; no 3D needed)"

NEW TOPIC TITLE (desired):
"BENQ/ASUS 120Hz - Easy LightBoost hotkey app on AMD/nVidia! (Strobe backlight. Eliminate motion blur. Looks like CRT)"

Also, I highly recommend the BENQ XL2420TE or XL2420T Rev 2.0 because it is PWM-free in non-LightBoost mode. It is available at:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-088-BQ

P.S. Simon Baker of TFT Central (who wrote the LightBoost article at TFT Central) really likes the LightBoost technology and is looking forward to seeing it arrive on IPS and VA panels (hopefully). Just look at page 15 of the manual of the newly announced Eizo FDF2405W monitor that just came out last month -- a VA panel with a LightBoost-style strobe backlight! Too bad that model is four-figure-price targeted at the professional market, but it shows that the technology is possible on a non-TN panel...

EDIT: Thanks for doing the topic title change!

Last edited:
Associate
I'm having problems with latest Nvidia drivers 331.82 (GTX660Ti) and Benq XL2411T.

The Lightboost is enabled but is stuck on 100% and I can't swich it to any other value.

Should I reinstall Strobelight Beta or to wait for newest version?

Best regards.

Back
Top Bottom