Best 4x4 for Australia

Soldato
Trust fox, he knows Australia and what's going through your mind.

If you decide to ignore him then the answer is Toyota landcruiser. I lived out there with a real 4x4 enthusiast who drove it across Australia (places where they didn't see other people for over a day) and then had it shipped over to South Africa where they carried on all over SA before getting it shipped home (were going to go up africa but his missus fell pregnant).

I think he spent $20k AUD and that was an old one - 1990ish? he had the hardcore model with everything on it.

Also - one thing a lot of people forget it that it will cost you THOUSANDS in petrol to cross Australia. Dont underestimate this cost!!!!

Man of Honour
I have seen cars

No, you have seen random for sale adverts on the internet.

We are going round in circles a bit now so I'll summarise my advice and leave you to it.

A couple of months is a great amount of time to explore the whole of the East Coast and Southern Coast East of Adelaide, inc the Blue Mountains, Great Ocean Road, Adelaide, and right up to Cairns. This is the right amount of time to get the best out of this part of the country. In order to do this you do not require a 4wd vehicle at all, all of the roads are good quality highways. Therefore rent a car - one way - and enjoy the experience without worrying if your crap second hand junker is going to break down in the middle of nowhere or where to get it fixed it when it does. Purchase third party excess insurance so you don't need to give a stuff if somebody scratches your rental car. Use internal flights to fill in gaps - you'll probably want to fly to Alice Springs and then pop down to Uluru etc.

Have a fabulous time and see some fantastic sights in what is a great country - 90% of the population live in the areas you can easily explore in the way I mention above.

Then do your 1+ year working holiday. You'll meet people and get a good idea of what its like in Australia, a better idea than somebody like me who justed visited for a few months to travel around. Listen to them, chat with then, give them your ideas.

THEN, after you finish working, use the money you've earned to do this 4wd outback drive to Perth thing you seem desperate to do, but do it armed with knowledge and relevant experience of locals. Not based on random internet searches for crap used junk cars.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I have taken into account what you have said fox but I know myself and know that I wouldn't enjoy having a rental car. That's why I am thinking of different ideas. The ford falcon you mentioned seems like a good plan as its cheap and cheap to repair.

Man of Honour
I don't understand how you 'wouldn't enjoy' having a rental car but would enjoy having a random banger. If you worry about stuff, as you imply, then surely the rental car becomes even more important! You don't need to worry about it breaking down, you don't need to worry about getting it fixed. With the right insurance you don't need to worry whether it's even in one piece when you hand it back.

Renting a car is the completely no hassle peace of mind approach. Even on the main highway between Adelaide and Sydney I often drove for hours without any phone signal and without seeing more than one car for ages. I've no idea what I'd have done had my 15 year old banger broken down or something, which is fairly likely at the bottom of the market.

The Australia trip was the first of what has turned out to be annual big road trips - I often drive in very isolated places and love the peace of mind having a brand new car brings.

I can only imagine you've never done it before and therefore don't know how it works if it worries you that much?

It wouldn't have mattered if somebody crashed into my Falcon and drove off without stopping, it'd have cost me nothing?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
When I rented in south Africa I did loads of research and bought extra insurance for the excess. But all companies didn't cover things like undercarriage, windscreens and if you didn't get a police report if someone went into you. The excess for undercarriage was £3000. So I was concerned that they could sat there is a dent in the exhaust and then you pay all that out. This is why I'm so concerned. Have to constantly worry that you may have a huge bill at the end

Man of Honour
When I rented in south Africa I did loads of research and bought extra insurance for the excess. But all companies didn't cover things like undercarriage, windscreens and if you didn't get a police report if someone went into you. The excess for undercarriage was £3000. So I was concerned that they could sat there is a dent in the exhaust and then you pay all that out. This is why I'm so concerned. Have to constantly worry that you may have a huge bill at the end

I use a firm that provides cover for the windscreen AND underbody. You obviously didn't do your homework enough first! You must have bought yours through the rental firm as most of the third party products do cover those parts of the car.

Unless I deliberately damage the car (ie, I take it banger racing and decide it would be fun to deliberately crash it) then any damage to the vehicle is covered.

If you constantly worry about things I find it even more incredible you seem keen on venturing out into the Australian outback in an old banger! I'd spend my whole time worried it was going to break down on me :D

Last edited:
Associate
Had a impreza wagon in Australia on rubbish tyres and it got over most terrain but was also good for the long road trips on good surfaced motorways and roads as it was quiet and economical.

Took a big nissan patrol when we went over sands as licking diffs got us out of sand traps well.

Somthing Japanese as parts are cheaper in oz

Associate
I live in Perth WA and have driven across Australia with my 4x4.

You are best to go with one of the common/popular 4x4 so Toyota or Mitsubishi. Easier to get parts or find garages that work on these while in the outback.

The Triton & Pajero will be cheaper than the Hilux or Landcruiser prado or other versions. Also a whole heap of engines/specs to the Toyota/Mitsi that you have to wade through. Some are bullet proof and perfect for bush whacking others not so much. The older Triton and Pajero 3rd Gen had a great v6 and usually people prefer the older spec Toyota Landcruiser 105 series or Prado 90 series.

As for Diesel while out bush you can get questionable quality of it so you might want to get a water filter installed or get a 2nd hand 4x4 that has already been setup.

WA does not do any type of vehicle testing so 2nd hand market is hit and miss. Vic/NSW have mandatory testing so you will have a better chance of not picking a lemon.

I have also done West to East coast in a Mitsubishi Magna v6 (2004 and cost me 3k in 2012 in Sydney and i sold it for 3k in 2014 in WA) and it was perfect for the whole trip. Most roads are sealed but if you want to go to some sights they are unsealed, a car should be okay. Its only on sandy or muddy areas where a 4x4 is needed.

http://www.unsealed4x4.com.au/best-4x4-touring-wagons-15000/

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for all that info. Makes for some interesting reading. I think I have to do a whole lot more research into this before setting off. I do like the sound of a pajero or suburu wagon.

Back
Top Bottom