Best BBC Olympics presenters?

Soldato
I really think Jake Humphrey is excellent. Whether it's F1 or the Olympics, he is so slick, has the gift of the gab and is always a pleasure to listen to.
Hazel Irvine is my other favourite, and she comes out with some very witty lines. Who's your favourite?

Soldato
I really think Jake Humphrey is excellent. Whether it's F1 or the Olympics, he is so slick, has the gift of the gab and is always a pleasure to listen to.
Hazel Irvine is my other favourite, and she comes out with some very witty lines. Who's your favourite?

I agree with you on both accounts, those two are ahead of the rest I think. Gary Lineker is alright some of the time along with that ex-Blue Peter chap who has covered a lot of the gymnastics.

Soldato
clare balding is best by far

ive not watched hardly any of the jake humphries stuff because it annoys the hell out of me when they cut to studio when there are still races going on

Associate
Jake Humphries is crap, glad I watch F1 on sky and mute the telly when he's on. He waffles and talks rubbish.

In general the presentation has been pretty poor imo, Balding ftw

Associate
it annoys the hell out of me when they cut to studio when there are still races going on
been mentioned a few times on different threads: watch the dedicated Olympic channels instead :) although you miss some of the trackside interviews

Soldato
clare balding is best by far

ive not watched hardly any of the jake humphries stuff because it annoys the hell out of me when they cut to studio when there are still races going on

That's only when it's on BBC1/BBC2 (the showcase channel for public consumption). Uninterrupted coverage of all events (including cycling) is available online/red button.

Caporegime
Agree with Balding. Haven't taken much notice of her before the Olympics, mainly because I don't watch much horse racing, but she seems extremely knowledgeable about the events she's covered and she makes me want to listen to what she's got to say.

Not a fan of Irvine's though, she completely ruined the snooker when she opened her mouth and said dayboo for the first time :mad:

Last edited:
Associate
Gabby Logan deserves a mention, endless enthusiasm for all the events. Claire Balding is good, Jake Humphey is fine and Mark Cavendish has impressed as a pundit in the cycling.

Soldato
Claire Balding has been great. I think Jake Humphrey has been absolutely fine. Gary lineker I thought has been pretty bad, a few cringeworthy moments with Ian Thorpe giving him a look of death.

Caporegime
I used to like Jake, but having moved to watching F1 on Sky coming back to Jake now he comes across as a bit dumbed down. Definitely a BBC3 presenter, not a BBC1 one, if that makes sense?

He's still good though.

Soldato
Hugh Porter, a commentator though

Brilliant track cycling commentator. Unfortunately his road cycling knowledge is next to nothing. Mind, he is in his 70s.

Jake Humphrey is one of those typically bland rent-a-presenters that TV channels dredge up from time to time. He is instantly forgettable.

In his article in the Standard this evening he claimed the carbon used in Team GB bikes evaporated at 50c making them lighter as the event went on......

Soldato
[DOD]Asprilla;22515640 said:
Brilliant track cycling commentator. Unfortunately his road cycling knowledge is next to nothing. Mind, he is in his 70s.

In his article in the Standard this evening he claimed the carbon used in Team GB bikes evaporated at 50c making them lighter as the event went on......

He's half right, there as he did a piece with Boardman and they talked about the cranks I think being hollow as part of it evaporates. Not sure what he's on about with that happening during the event though! Surely they just heat the bikes up to that temp after they make them.

/edit: unless that was another Brailsford / Boardman wind up :(

Soldato
He's half right, there as he did a piece with Boardman and they talked about the cranks I think being hollow as part of it evaporates. Not sure what he's on about with that happening during the event though! Surely they just heat the bikes up to that temp after they make them.

/edit: unless that was another Brailsford / Boardman wind up :(

Edit; just re-read the article and he probably is refering to hollow crank arms, it's just badly written.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom