Best BBC Olympics presenters?

Associate
Ah, thanks for the name. All I could remember of him was the laughable intros he'd give for the snooker and I expected the worst, but I was surprised at how (relatively) subdued he was.

Just to make things clear, I don't think Humphrey has been over the top at all - a little lost at times, but apart from that he has been one of the better presenters.

Soldato
I think Jake Humphrey has been brilliant, especially when he gets behind something he clearly didn't know too much about, but finds he really enjoys, as his coverage of the Velodrome showed. Very similar to how he came into F1.

It was certainly great having him and Cav presenting, loved #CavFacts:

"So an Elimination Race is basically an Elimination Race." - lol

Even if you aren't a fan of Jake Humphrey, there is no doubt that he is BBC's most important presenter of recent times. He connects with a younger audience, he's passionate, embraces technology to make himself 'available' to the viewer via twitter and is clearly enjoying the job.

While he might not have the lead role, he was still groomed for the Olympics and is playing a major role in the presenting team, which they don't give to just anybody. He came in at a time when BBCs presenting team was starting to get old and set in their ways, so he brought in some youth. In many years when the likes of Hazel and Gary are gone, he will be lead anchor.

I've not seen any mention for Ed Leigh. I've always enjoyed it when he comments on the Winter Olympics due to his Ski Sunday work, plus he seems to be their goto commentator for anything deemed 'extreme'. He has been coming up with lots of witty comments during the Beach Volleyball and now he is on the BMX.

The only presenter/commentator I've really not been keen on so far is the guy who does the rowing... not sure who it is?

His voice grates on me and he gets too shouty and annoying.

Soldato
Just realised that John Mcenroe really annoys me.

I'm also not sure why he is brought in as an Olympics pundit, surely they could pick somebody a bit more relevant, possibly British and not as crass.

Man of Honour
Gabby Logan is #1 for me, nothing seems to faze her, the other night at the start of the highlights show Amir Kahn (who has been appalling) gave a massive spoiler by saying his moment of the Olympics so far was a gold medal for one of the people who had been competing THAT DAY, and she just laughed it it off. Probably easy to dismiss her as an aging blonde but she has a good foundation in sport, dad was Wales manager etc.

Gary Linker just comes across as a bit slimy whenever there are atheletes on as guests, sucking up to them etc.

As for Jake Humphrey I think the F1 has really helped him in terms of making him more confident and outgoing, I remember when he looked like a rabbit in the headlights a few years ago. He really annoyed me at the cycling though, every 5mins droning on about how the rules were changed for 2012 to try and keep GB down but we'd overcome it etc.

The best presenter BBC Sport have is Dan Walker, ever since I saw him do some reports on Football Focus a few years ago I could tell he was a star in the making, he just comes across as a complete natural, he can be witty, he asks good questions, he can read the mood of a situation, and basically he has been criminally overlooked for the Olympics (maybe he's on holiday I guess).

Soldato
The best presenter BBC Sport have is Dan Walker, ever since I saw him do some reports on Football Focus a few years ago I could tell he was a star in the making, he just comes across as a complete natural, he can be witty, he asks good questions, he can read the mood of a situation, and basically he has been criminally overlooked for the Olympics (maybe he's on holiday I guess).
Dan Walker has been doing the Olympic Sportsday programme that's on after midnight every night!

Soldato
I like John Inverdale but that's more because I'm used to him doing 6N coverage. Boardman for the cycling has been great. Whoever was the number 2 in the diving was pretty knowledgeable. Balding is consistently good, haven't watched much of her stuff though.

Soldato
Gabby Logan 'killed off' Luke Campbell's Mum and Sister on tonight's show. She'd earlier said that his Mum and Sister were no longer with us!

Apparently she apologised at the end of the show tonight. Luke Campbell's Mum and Sister actually watched him tonight! :)

Soldato
Claire Balding , Inverdale & Chris Boardman have been the best imo

Matt Baker just reminds me of Blue Peter lol, and Jake (especially during the Cycling) I just wanted to punch every time he came on screen , even though in F1 he seems great.

Soldato
Steve Cram has been a surprise for me, its commentating of the 5k yesterday was really quite powerful, not least because he does know a thing or two about the subject.

Soldato
I think the 5 Live team have been better than the TV in terms of knowledge and entertainment. Even Colin hasn't annoyed me as much as he did when he was on Radio 1.

However, I don't think anyone has spoiled my enjoyment of the coverage. On the whole it's been fantastic.

Man of Honour
I've always found that Michael Johnson delivers insightful analysis of athletics.

I like the fact that he won't blindly nod and agree with everything his fellow panelists come out with. Colin Jackson was spouting some drivel about how the SA 800m runner was "afraid to win" because of the spotlight it might put on her, yes that is 100% the reason she didn't win Colin I couldn't agree more!

Soldato
Steve Cram has been a surprise for me, its commentating of the 5k yesterday was really quite powerful, not least because he does know a thing or two about the subject.

Im so used to Steve Cram I completely forgot about him - he is actually very good indeed, I agree

Back
Top Bottom