Best linux distro for gaming ?

Soldato
I'd like to install linux on a secondary SSD just to play around with but was wondering what the best distro would be solely gaming ?

I did ask on reddit but the linux community on there doesn't seem to like people asking questions, Is very insulting and elitist, Posts asking for help or guidance generally seem to get downvoted to hell.

Any info is appreciated.

Last edited:
Soldato
SteamOS especially if you’ve got lots of Steam games. Even if you use other launchers there are guides and apps to let you use them too. Also as tight integration with Proton to allow playing of many Windows only games. It’s not infallible but I’ve never had any issues.

Soldato
OP
SteamOS especially if you’ve got lots of Steam games. Even if you use other launchers there are guides and apps to let you use them too. Also as tight integration with Proton to allow playing of many Windows only games. It’s not infallible but I’ve never had any issues.

Appreciated thank you !

Associate
Just be aware that some of SteamOS is relatively outdated (they’re working on it), but all gaming related pieces should be there.

I’ve used both Fedora and Pop_OS for gaming without issue. They’re both very solid and well supported distros. Probably start with Pop.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've just switched from PopOS to Nobara and it's been fantastic.

Many more things worked out the box. Over 100fps gain in CSGO due to the way they have modified the performance guv.

Battery life has taken a big hit on my laptop though. But still highly recommend it.

Associate
There really isn't any 1 single answer. Rather there are multiple distros (specific ones) which are all currently 'modern enough' to use for gaming. The main underlying criteria being that they can install reliably "new enough" packages. And without running into significant issues.

Here's a shortlist (not exhaustive - there are other ones too)

* SteamOS - if you want it like that
* Fedora - either traditional version or silverblue
* MODERN derivatives of ubuntu that are based off the most recent 6 monthly point releases (i.e. 23.04 and forwards, so no, not any LTS based ones)....
* Arch linux based distributions (and not Manjaro)

Of course with extra work you could use something else entirely. For example ones like gentoo, or void linux. Or many others. But fundamentally maintaining a distro properly (and to a high degree of polish). That takes work. So by sticking to the main distro(s). Then you are avoiding and dodging a lot specific grief. That they patched or sorted out for you already. Not to need to take individual steps on your individual machine(s). When the vanilla upstream software projects are releasing things with bugs in them (or is badly packaged, or is too cutting edge new features that are not quite ready yet to work with the other libraries, causing conflicts etc.).

If you want to include more options, you can also think to ones like suse tumbleweed (for example). But the main other criteria that I did not mention yet: are inclusion of proprietary codecs and proprietary drivers. For media to work and not be broken. So any "fully free" distros tend to be more trouble in that respect.

So, (for example): you could also easily add:

* Debian

To this list, but only if you download and install the version with all the non-free packages. For which there is some special ISO (or not-quite official installer). Then should be fine.

In terms of how to narrow down further (in a vacuume) - well arch is more difficult to use. And more overheads / legwork to keep updated properly. Or fix broken updates. However in exchange for that it has a better / best possible 3rd party packaging system included onto it.

Wheras both Fedora and Ubuntu use more traditional binary pkgs systems respectively. Whereby it's harder to make and contribute or distribute your own pkgs onto those platforms. But in exchange they are generally easier to update, more reliable (against unexpected breakages). Easier to deal with any potential pkging conflicts. And just more popular so finding support help answers online is also easier.

One caveat to that is: For whichever distro you choose. Then arch wiki is a great general and very helpful documentation resource. To lookup general linux technical matters. And remains helpful regardless of whichever specific distro you happen to be on.

Soldato
I use Debian on my desktop with Lutris from flatpak. Using flatpak gets around the issue of Debian's packages being out of date (which is intended, but can be annoying for stuff like gaming, which often needs latest versions for any sort of stability). Once I got Lutris, I installed the Battle.Net client and can happily play Diablo 2 Resurrected without any problems. Actually not tried Steam Proton yet, but it looks quite good!

Associate
There really isn't any 1 single answer. Rather there are multiple distros (specific ones) which are all currently 'modern enough' to use for gaming. The main underlying criteria being that they can install reliably "new enough" packages. And without running into significant issues.

Here's a shortlist (not exhaustive - there are other ones too)

* SteamOS - if you want it like that
* Fedora - either traditional version or silverblue
* MODERN derivatives of ubuntu that are based off the most recent 6 monthly point releases (i.e. 23.04 and forwards, so no, not any LTS based ones)....
* Arch linux based distributions (and not Manjaro)

Of course with extra work you could use something else entirely. For example ones like gentoo, or void linux. Or many others. But fundamentally maintaining a distro properly (and to a high degree of polish). That takes work. So by sticking to the main distro(s). Then you are avoiding and dodging a lot specific grief. That they patched or sorted out for you already. Not to need to take individual steps on your individual machine(s). When the vanilla upstream software projects are releasing things with bugs in them (or is badly packaged, or is too cutting edge new features that are not quite ready yet to work with the other libraries, causing conflicts etc.).

If you want to include more options, you can also think to ones like suse tumbleweed (for example). But the main other criteria that I did not mention yet: are inclusion of proprietary codecs and proprietary drivers. For media to work and not be broken. So any "fully free" distros tend to be more trouble in that respect.

So, (for example): you could also easily add:

* Debian

To this list, but only if you download and install the version with all the non-free packages. For which there is some special ISO (or not-quite official installer). Then should be fine.

In terms of how to narrow down further (in a vacuume) - well arch is more difficult to use. And more overheads / legwork to keep updated properly. Or fix broken updates. However in exchange for that it has a better / best possible 3rd party packaging system included onto it.

Wheras both Fedora and Ubuntu use more traditional binary pkgs systems respectively. Whereby it's harder to make and contribute or distribute your own pkgs onto those platforms. But in exchange they are generally easier to update, more reliable (against unexpected breakages). Easier to deal with any potential pkging conflicts. And just more popular so finding support help answers online is also easier.

One caveat to that is: For whichever distro you choose. Then arch wiki is a great general and very helpful documentation resource. To lookup general linux technical matters. And remains helpful regardless of whichever specific distro you happen to be on.
Why not Manjaro?

I'm very happily using it as my daily driver and gaming has been fantastic in my experience.

Soldato
Mumbling Hugo on YT tests this sort of thing and IIRC he said Nobara was slower...

Personally I dont think it makes any real difference.

Nobara dramatically improved FPS in the games I played compared to PopOS. Using an Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU

Also consider that his video is over 1 years old. Much improvement by now.

Last edited:
Associate
My main game was CSGO and that went from 150fps to 250fps. I also found that minimums on Witcher 3 were about 5fps higher which made for a smother experience.

If ANY distro moved from 150 to 250FPS I would question if the first distro was properly setup... but I'm glad you are happy with Nobara (KDE or Gnome version?)

Soldato
Can’t wait until they officially release it so I can put it in a mini PC under the TV

Back
Top Bottom