Best Retro Handheld

Soldato
Hmmm, looks like it'll have to be the Odin 2. Which is quite pricey.
I got the standard model in black for the early bird price, it seems to be discounted back to around that at the moment.

It's a very powerful device and the screen is nice but the plastic isn't the best (on my black model) and feels a bit cheap. The d-pad and face buttons also aren't the best imo and don't feel much better than devices I've had which cost a fraction of the price.

Bang for buck it's still one of the best on the market but I'd probably think about getting a Deck next instead.

Soldato
Miyoo Mini Plus arrived today (left), very quick delivery. On the right is my original RG35XX.

Already set up Onion OS and having a play. It is nice but the sound seems a bit tinny compared to the Anbernic device and the colour not quite so rich but can probably adjust.

Think I prefer the controls on the Miyoo but need a bit longer playtime to really assess.

It's smaller, not by much but feels very compact.

Not sure why they include a stupidly bright led on a transparent model... I wouldn't usually buy transparent but was the only available colour at the time. I've seen people put some electrical tape over it to dim it significantly which I may investigate.

Caporegime
Miyoo Mini Plus arrived today (left), very quick delivery. On the right is my original RG35XX.

Already set up Onion OS and having a play. It is nice but the sound seems a bit tinny compared to the Anbernic device and the colour not quite so rich but can probably adjust.

Think I prefer the controls on the Miyoo but need a bit longer playtime to really assess.

It's smaller, not by much but feels very compact.

Not sure why they include a stupidly bright led on a transparent model... I wouldn't usually buy transparent but was the only available colour at the time. I've seen people put some electrical tape over it to dim it significantly which I may investigate.

I’ve had both and between the 2, I find Miyoo mini plus my preferred handheld in this form factor. If it’s the RG35XX+ then I prefer the H variant for that chipset.

I find the ability to get on WiFi and scrape cover art to be something I really enjoy on the Onion OS in the Miyoo mini plus.

Caporegime
Put together my FPGA GBC with new PCB (my god, so many acronyms).

I think the screen is borked, it was so hard to put in the ribbon cable I've done something. Put Zelda in, it boots, I can hear music, the back light on the screen comes on but nothing else. It seems no data is going into the screen. I've taken it out and put it in again and still the same.

FBEJ39hl.jpg

Soldato

I think the screen is borked, it was so hard to put in the ribbon cable I've done something. Put Zelda in, it boots, I can hear music, the back light on the screen comes on but nothing else. It seems no data is going into the screen. I've taken it out and put it in again and still the same.

FBEJ39hl.jpg
Sorry to hear that. Possibly a stupid question but I presume you've tried a different cartridge or that cart in another device right?

Soldato
I’ve had both and between the 2, I find Miyoo mini plus my preferred handheld in this form factor. If it’s the RG35XX+ then I prefer the H variant for that chipset.

I find the ability to get on WiFi and scrape cover art to be something I really enjoy on the Onion OS in the Miyoo mini plus.

Been playing a bit more today and am liking the Miyoo a lot, especially for £45.

I'll probably keep wifi off once I set everything up and have scraped the artwork to conserve battery.

It is handy being able to scrape on the device but I followed the Retro Gaming Corp guide Russ made For Garlic OS for the RG35XX with no wifi and was pretty simple doing it on the desktop. Once it was done I've not needed it again.

Soldato
Looks great @Raymond Lin , shame the screen is a no go.

After adding a Miyoo Mini Plus to my collection I'm now absolutely besotted by the RG35XXSP.

No need for it, but I will no doubt be getting the blue transparent one on day one, unless it is extortionately priced.

Caporegime
Looks great @Raymond Lin , shame the screen is a no go.

After adding a Miyoo Mini Plus to my collection I'm now absolutely besotted by the RG35XXSP.

No need for it, but I will no doubt be getting the blue transparent one on day one, unless it is extortionately priced.

The photo there, the screen is actually on, if you look closely, on the edge of the rim of the screen you can faintly see a "halo".

It depends on the OS, if it's Linus then I am in, if it is Andriod then No way........which reminds me, I should sell my Retroid Pocket Flip. I just prefer simpler Retro consoles, Andriod is far too complicated.

Hoping for good review for the SP.

It’s out. I think i will pass for now, if its under £50 shipped then I might change my mind though!

Last edited:
Caporegime

FBEJ39hl.jpg
If you've already given up on it and it's too pricey to send back for repair, try this guy:

I haven't read his thread in a while, but maybe he can help (either with advice or fixing it!)

rp2000

Caporegime
After watching the Retro Games Corp video I think I am more inclined to get one of those real GBA SP.

Question, what compatibility are there with them? I forgot which order they came out in.

Which is the latest one that plays 'everything' ?

I got my DS Lite out on the weekend and notice it doesn't take GBC cartridge ? Which handheld takes both GBC and GBA games?

Soldato
Picked up a RG35XX H from AliExpress for £33 the other day - arrived today, and I'm really, really, impressed with the quality of it! Replaced the SD with a nice quality card, and will see how it goes

Soldato
Ive now got an rg35xx og, rg35xx plus, rg35xx h and rg28xx (and a Steam deck)

Think ill sell my plus, its nice but a little too thick. The h is great and not too thick so great for travel. Im undecided on the 28xx, feels great for pocket travel but having the h means its going unused. Its also harder to work with cfw with the rotated screen - its great for apotris though :)

The sp looks too chunky

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ive now got an rg35xx og, rg35xx plus, rg35xx h and rg28xx (and a Steam deck)

Think ill sell my plus, its nice but a little too thick. The h is great and not too thick so great for travel. Im undecided on the 28xx, feels great for pocket travel but having the h means its going unused. Its also harder to work with cfw with the rotated screen - its great for apotris though :)

The sp looks too chunky
I have had RG35XX og and the H.

I gave the OG to my sister as I have the Miyoo Mini and then bought the H.

I then gave away the H to my girlfriend's sister and then bought it again for myself because I like it so much. I think the H is the best one out of them all.

Soldato
what is recommended these days for a 4:3 handheld with PS1, maybe DC, power? Also easy to use without needing to change the OS etc.

Also available in the UK not waiting for it to ship from abroad

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom