Best savings account?

Soldato
cash ISA are paying 4.9%

So unless you've maxxed out your tax free allowance for the year, then an instant /flexible cash ISA is basicaly a no brainer?

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah fair - my ISA has actually got me into a savings trap now. I had £8k in there as a float (0% CC/tax bill from last year) but I am loathed to touch it now I have a new allowance :cry:

Caporegime
I hate taking money out of my. Isa despite it being there for a rainy day 9r for help with moving house etc.

I've so far only really taken out of it when I started my SIPP.

Soldato
Looking to renew fixed (not ISA) and stunned to see they now do 3 and 6 month terms with better interest than 9 or 12 months. Seems like the plethora of "new" banks are really competing to get your money. Looking at Atom for a 6m fix at 5.25%.

Associate
Looking to renew fixed (not ISA) and stunned to see they now do 3 and 6 month terms with better interest than 9 or 12 months. Seems like the plethora of "new" banks are really competing to get your money. Looking at Atom for a 6m fix at 5.25%.
It's also because short term rates are higher than longer term rates at the moment (expectation for rates to fall).

Underboss
virgin money has just launched a 10% saving account

but its only upto £1000

but as you need one of their current accounts (one is 2%) you actually get 12%

Soldato
That's actually kind of meh as essentially it's a £100 bonus for switching but with strings attached.

I switched to Nationwide and got £150 for doing the switch properly (all stuff moved over from HSBC).

I also got 5% interest for a year on the Flex current AC and access to the 8% regular saver (£200 pcm).

Soldato
That's actually kind of meh as essentially it's a £100 bonus for switching but with strings attached.

I switched to Nationwide and got £150 for doing the switch properly (all stuff moved over from HSBC).

I also got 5% interest for a year on the Flex current AC and access to the 8% regular saver (£200 pcm).
Was going to say the same thing but I guess if you've exhausted all the offers it's still a "free" hundy.

Soldato
Sod it, I will let the account closed in a month. So much friction to try to give them money. A system that require a telephone call to get login details is so last century too...they ask me to write in...
I don't think you're missing much and i can't say i'm overly impressed so far as it all feels a bit archaic and bodged together which is surprising given it's supposedly backed by the BOI.
In the end i did have to call them and request account confirmation, as after 10 days i still hadn't had an email or letter - customer services said it probably got mislaid somewhere in transit which doesn't particularly fill me with much confidence having another set of account details floating around in the ether.

Associate
Initiated my first ever Cash ISA transfer the other week, April16th to be precise and its still not complete yet.. do these transfers normally take this long in your experience ?
I could understand it for a S&S isa but I expected Cash to be much quicker...

Back
Top Bottom