Best savings account?

Soldato
Does HTB: ISA count? (have never opened an ISA other than that, just been using saving accounts)

HTB ISA's are just classed as a cash ISA and they do count towards your £20k ISA annual limit.

Up to now you could only have 1 cash ISA per year (with some slight exceptions) but now the rules have changed for this tax year and you can have multiple cash ISA's - though you still have to stay under the £20K annual limit.

Transfers from one ISA into another don't count towards your annual limit/

Soldato
LISA worth bothering with if not using for a house purchase?

As far as I can tell I can essentially add a stocks and shares type account with it, but the gov tops up a max of £1K per year for free (if you deposit £4K), so it's a 25% bonus on cash put in.

Negatives seem to be:
  • You can't open one unless you're under 40 years old.
  • No point paying in after you're 50 as the gov stops matching it.
  • Not everywhere offers them, so fees could be higher than normal stocks and shares ISA elsewhere long term (less competition).
  • Another plate to spin.
  • Can't withdraw the money until retirement unless you want to eat the 25% penalty.
  • Shares ISA allowance with other ISA account types.
I guess the best thing to compare it with is probably a SIPP rather than standard stocks and shares ISA.

Caporegime
It's free money whatever way you look at it, and a different pot at pension age, I wish I'd have opened one when I could.

I thought if you had a SIPP the SIPP is better due to getting 40pc tax rebate on it?

Obviously you'll get taxed on SIPP at basic rate during drawdown.So it's basically evens there?

But LISA can only be extracted at 60 years old?

Last edited:
I thought if you had a SIPP the SIPP is better due to getting 40pc tax rebate on it?

Obviously you'll get taxed on SIPP at basic rate during drawdown.So it's basically evens there?

But LISA can only be extracted at 60 years old?

You have to consider when you can access etc.
SIPPs are great but you should really keep some liquidity in your assets

Soldato
For LISA one thing worth considering is that the money isn't protected from things like means testing or bankruptcy proceedings.

So it could in theory work against you for certain other things later.

Hard to say if worth the risk of putting too much into it vs basic stocks and shares ISA or SIPP.

Agree with MKW you'll generally want some liquidity available.

Caporegime
You have to consider when you can access etc.
SIPPs are great but you should really keep some liquidity in your assets

But LISA isn't really liquid right? If you do take it out you get that penalty.

Not sure if any Lisa's are available on decent S&S platforms?

I used one for house purchase and it got me 4-5k extra.

Think it still has a pound in it

Last edited:
But LISA isn't really liquid right? If you do take it out you get that penalty.

Not sure if any Lisa's are available on decent S&S platforms?

The penalty is just the removal of the bonus which basically knocks it back to the same position as a normal ISA.
(Bar it having different fees potenitally as there is less competition).

Soldato
Liquidity sure but keep your cash outside of wrappers and maximise the long term gains of investing inside ISAs and SIPPs.

All IMO of course but there are tax efficient ways to hold cash outside of ISAs or SIPPs.

Soldato
How does that actually work? Say I cash out a LISA, do I pay back the £1000 only but keep the gains on it?
25% of the amount you take out. You'll end up worse off taking anything out of a LISA and paying the penalty. The only exception really being if you've made significant losses in an S&S lisa on your investments, and they'd need to be significant given the 25% top up.

How does that actually work? Say I cash out a LISA, do I pay back the £1000 only but keep the gains on it?

Actually its worse.

Good summary here

Soldato
Yes the probably once in a lifetime quirk of ultra low coupon gilts followed by a rapid rise in rates coinciding with a suicidal PM crashing things further is probably over but you can still lock in a respectable yield on gilts.

Caporegime
I still can't quite see the use case of a LISA vs an S&S isa or a SIPP.

Maybe if LISA had loads of providers.

I guess it might be better for people on lower tax rate?
Ie you get about similar relief on pension as LISA.
and at retirement you don't have to worry about income tax on it. That's the only real user case I can see

Last edited:
Soldato
I still can't quite see the use case of a LISA vs an S&S isa or a SIPP.

Maybe if LISA had loads of providers.

I guess it might be better for people on lower tax rate?
Ie you get about similar relief on pension as LISA.
and at retirement you don't have to worry about income tax on it. That's the only real user case I can see

Yeah that is my take as well, but like I said there are some drawbacks vs pension, and the big one is that it's not protected like a pension.

It can be used against your for any means testing, or whatever as well.

Personally am not a big fan of the idea, free money is nice but SIPP seems to offer a similar uplift, and if you're savvy with how you use it later, you won't pay a lot of tax if you keep under the higher limits.

Back
Top Bottom