Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
No, I deserve the abuse! It's shameful. I used to be one of those people who went out on a shop ride on my trusty hardtail and looking at these fools with their gleaming full-sus bikes and still smoke them. And now I've turned into one!

Anyway, it's my recent discovery of the joys (and pains) of snowboarding and it's closest UK equivalent mountain boarding - I think it gives me the 'danger thrills' that my typical XC rides lack. Then again, I really should try out some of the better trails in the UK, having only tried a few near me.

I just need to motivate myself into getting out there!

Soldato
Seraphim, start doing some freeriding. You'd get a decent amount for the Turner with that spec and you could get a 6-8" travel freeride bike, shorter wheelbase than a DH race bike, single crown fork, couple of rings up front etc.

Then you just take it out into the woods and muck about, riding off rocks and big drops, hitting gaps etc. I'd have one now if I had anyone to ride with but all my riding buddies got fat and started buying and doing up cars :(.

Man of Honour
Yeah, it's definitely a good course of action Chris - I find the parts of the rides I enjoy most (and am best at) are the downhill sections, like the final bit of Cwmcarn. That one leaves me grinning like I'm on drugs. the ~3 miles of climbing to get to it don't though! Also just tooling around would be a welcome relief from the masochistic world of XC.

Now you've got me thinking. Might see if I can trade in the bike (or even sell it privately) and buy a new freeride/do-it-all bike through this government initiative they've got going at work - you can pay for a bike pre-VAT and pre-PAYE, so getting it much much cheaper! Oh, now I'm tempted... :D

Soldato
I know where you're coming from, I started out riding/racing XC when I was 14 but realised that I enjoyed the downs more than the ups. I got into DH but didn't like racing really, so started just hooning about in the woods, building jumps and berms and finding gaps to launch. It's sooooo much fun with a bunch of mates and as Mulder showed further back in this thread there are some top places to ride if you want to make a week of it, Morzine & Les Gets in France or Whistler in Canada all have dedicated trails.

Lots of companies are bringing out freeride bikes now as it's the next big thing to hit mountainbiking (my old Commencal pictured previously is a good example). Check pretty much any bike mag or video and they're all raving about freeriding.

Some good examples to be had from around £1500 onwards...

Giant Faith

Intense Uzzi

Yeti ASX

Kona Coiler

Soldato
Phnom_Penh said:
You seem to have missed out Orange and Santa Cruz, both companies do excellent FR bikes, theres also Cannondale, although they do better DH bikes than FR.
Do you come in this thread specifically to pick holes in my posts? I don't seem to be able to advise anyone in any way withouth you pedantically finding fault with what I've written. Do you feel that you have to prove your knowledge of bikes or have you just been bored recently and found nothing better to do?

If I recall correctly, my exact words were:
Big Chris said:
Some good examples to be had from around £1500 onwards...
and not "here is every available freeride bike on the market at the time of writing."

My intention was just so show Seraphim (perhaps he already knew anyway) what I meant by freeride bikes and give him something to think about.

Soldato
was my dream bike!!!

Spent my whole youth perving on Mint Sauce riding his and always wanted one.

Saldy it took me 2 full sussers before I got one. (not a fan of rear suspension, or that kean on front to be honest)

Soldato
Riding a custom Rocky Mountain RM7 at the moment. Although I am selling it as I have done my back in.

Then its going to be a basic but still decent freeride light bike.

Soldato
I got a Claud Butler Alpina. Its a different version than the one on Falcon Cycles. Got no blue on it. Its black / silver all round. I will take some pics of it tomorrow.

Alpina.jpg

Its my first proper bike. I saved up long and hard for it. Cost me £340 new about 11 months ago. I got everywhere on it. I love my bike to bits. I know it aint the best, but would you say its a good start into 'good' bikes. Im defo into expensive well built bikes now. No turning back.

Im due to get a new bike tbh. My range is sub £450. Was thinking about a Trials / Jump bike as I like to do some urban jumpin and stunts etc, but then again I want good top speed to (39mph+, the fastest Ive been on my Alpina upto now. Ran out of gears lol) Also I travel a lot on my bike some for long distances so it needs to e comfortable aswell.

Soldato
Bennah said:
Was thinking about a Trials / Jump bike as I like to do some urban jumpin and stunts etc, but then again I want good top speed to (39mph+, the fastest Ive been on my Alpina upto now. Ran out of gears lol) Also I travel a lot on my bike some for long distances so it needs to e comfortable aswell.
It's not going to be easy finding a bike that will do all of those comfortably I'm afraid, there are notable differences between a trials bike, a jump/dirt bike and something you can get up to decent speed and ride long distance on.

A compromise might be something from the new crop of 'hardcore hardtails' like these:

Cove Stiffee

or Orange Crush

Sadly neither of these are within your budget, but you get the idea.

You can pick up some bargains on bike forums if you look around. Southern Downhill and Descent World are good ones to check out.

Associate
OP
i wouldnt want to be doing long distances on a hardcore hardtail. tested the orange crush bout week ago its so heavy hills would be a nightmare. and theres no lockout so ull bob everywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom