BMW 325i 2005 misfire

Don
Ctek charger had completed its cycle overnight and moved on to maintenance mode. Car fired straight up and drove normally.

So what to do now, get new battery anyway (6 years old)?
Probably hold off for now, (or at least get the battery checked by a garage that has a proper tester - rather than just volt check), but if you get any further spurious codes then it's still a prime suspect and wouldn't be surprised to see it fail in less than a year.

Also worth knowing if your car has IBS? If it has and the last battery wasn't registered when it was last replaced (or worse isn't the correct type) then that would affect battery life.

Soldato
OP
Also worth knowing if your car has IBS? If it has and the last battery wasn't registered when it was last replaced (or worse isn't the correct type) then that would affect battery life.

Indications are that it does. There's no additional wire on the negative which is what they say online is the way to tell, but there is an electronics pack attached to the battery positive terminal.

I would doubt any replacement battery has ever been registered, most people wouldn't bother especially if buying it from Halfords.

But to check I would need to spend 30 quid on bimmerlink.

Online info seems to suggest 6 years is well above average for a battery.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Last edited:
Soldato
Doesn't ctek give a reasonable view of battery state - I'd won a victron charger off a friend .. used it on old battery to see voltage and dribble charge it needed after a few days, standing;
new one was my first exide excell battery 3 year warranty - previously been fidel to bosch

Soldato
OP
doesn't ctek give a reasonable view of battery state
I let my CTEK do a full cycle overnight including the recon mode. This morning it had to got to the maintenance mode step 7 with no error displayed.

Its only a basic set of LEDs on the front of it though, no proper display. It works through the various stages of the reconditioning cycle which are outlined in the manual.

I can get a Bosch S4 battery off carpartsforless (same company as ECP) for £85 with their current offer code.

Last edited:
Don
But to check I would need to spend 30 quid on bimmerlink.
Carista will do it with the dongle you have - 1 month subscription then cancel or maybe free trial

I can get a Bosch S4 battery off carpartsforless (same company as ECP) for £85 with their current offer code.
I'd get a Bosch rather than a Halfords special - certainly going to be money better spent than on coils you likely don't need

Soldato
OP
Just checked the battery voltage with multimeter its now at 12.6V.

Not sure how good these CTEK chargers/reconditioning units are - is it just prolonging the inevitable or do they make a meaningful difference?

Carista will do it with the dongle you have - 1 month subscription then cancel or maybe free trial
The information is poor - it looks possibly like a one month sub is a tenner but the battery registration functionality is an extra tenner on top? Its not clear.

'd get a Bosch rather than a Halfords special
Halfords brand is Yuasa but with the CPFL code its a fair bit cheaper to get the Bosch S4.

certainly going to be money better spent than on coils you likely don't need
Im tempted to do them anyway tbh. £180 to do all six and I know four are likely original, and one that was replaced looks to be the incorrect part.

Don
Associate
I dont have a laptop to run it on - my work one is locked down now, can't install stuff on it myself.

i am using an old one with win 7 probably pick one up on facebook marketplace for around £20.

inpa will give a more detailed description of faults and more than likley find more faults that the fault adapters.

so worth it.

free digital photos net images search

Associate
It started. Phew I'm relieved.

Ctek charger had completed its cycle overnight and moved on to maintenance mode. Car fired straight up and drove normally.

So what to do now, get new battery anyway (6 years old)?

Honestly I'm just not sure. It's cold today (6 degrees) and on my test drive this morning there was some vapour coming out the exhaust. It's not billowing white smoke, just visible vapour that you can see from the mirrors whilst driving.

It has used around half a litre of coolant in six months I'm guessing, assuming they checked it properly when serviced which they might not have.
Check for exhaust gases in the coolant header tank, we used to use the exhaust emissions tester, but you can buy testers from ECP.

Soldato
OP
Update.

Six new ignition coils fitted. Quality isn't great though (they are Bosch ones, £35 each). Two of them the plastic clips that hold the wiring connector in place were starting to split, so they wouldn't lock. Luckily the old ones I removed were the same design and the plastic is sturdier, so I was able to swap the top clips off the old part.

PXL-20240326-111658516.jpg

And the new battery is installed. Not too hard a job just a bit awkward with all the wiring to move around.

PXL-20240326-115342290.jpg

Car is starting and running fine.

But I have found two more issues.

First is quite serious. This auxillary belt was only replaced in November at a local indy who I have used for many years and who normally do a good job. Along with new tensioner pulley. It is freying badly and chunks are missing from the belt.

PXL-20240326-120110095.jpg

Ive phoned them up just now and taking the car back in on Tuesday next week but Im very annoyed because now this is a risk to even drive it. Obviously a poor fitting job or poor quality parts not sure which.

Im tempted to do the job myself if I can get the parts, it doesn't seem difficult. But then that lets the garage off the hook for the initial poor work.

Second issue is that I have found a source of my oil consumption - the oil filler cap appears to be allowing some seepage. This was all wiped off a couple days ago and now there is seepage around the cap again, it can only be coming from the cap in that location. So now need to see how to replace this whole part.

PXL-20240326-111703263.jpg

Soldato
OP
Update on the belt, I removed it from the car. Good job I did too, look at this loose strand that was floating around near the area of the belt. And look at the damage.

I can't believe what Im seeing from a 5 month old belt.

PXL-20240326-143406611.jpg

PXL-20240326-142259689.jpg

PXL-20240326-142304371.jpg

PXL-20240326-142317418.jpg

PXL-20240326-142326015.jpg

Its a continental brand from EuroCarParts, Ive just ordered the same one as a replacement. How can this happen on a 5 month old belt, has to be fitting error surely?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
could the tensioner have left it too loose, so it was riding out.

I don't know, the tensioner was replaced too and seems ok? I had to apply force to it with a socket to release the tension to remove the belt and fit the new one. Other than the tensioner being the incorrect part, I don't know how tight they should be?

I've fitted a new belt (my mate kindly collected one and brought it over for me). It seems to be running true. I will have to monitor closely to see if it starts chafing.

Soldato
OP
You can use one of the many OBD2 apps available for your phone with a Bluetooth dongle.

Veepeak OBDCheck BLE+ Bluetooth

Is a decent one that is supposed by generic code reading apps like "Torque" which may give you enough information to find the problem, but is also supported by other apps such as Carista, as well as BMW specific coding and diagnostics like Bimmercode / Bimmerlink

The veepeak adapter I bought doesn't work with bimmerlink.

Screenshot-20240326-185208.png

So I can't register my new battery.

Edit - tried Carista too, the adapter connects but I can't see an option for registering a battery.

Anyone?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom