Bought a 2.5 gbe Switch but uplink to the Internet won't work at full speed?

Soldato
Newbie time.

Bought my first network switch (2.5gbe). My PC and my NAS are connected and work at full 2.5 gbe speed transfering files. For the uplink port though it only connects to the Internet on the 1gbe port at expected speeds. If I connect it to the single 2.5gbe port on the Virgin Media Hub 5 I get more or less no connection (maybe like 1000th what its meant to be, but can occassionaly load up a bit of text etc).

What am I missing please? Have I just got a duff switch? The forest reviews seem to think its just plug and go. I guess the most important thing is the transfer speeds between the nas and PC are spot on at 2.5, but it would be nice to have it all.

Soldato
my SH5 in modem mode working fine at 1.3Gb speeds, ive just swapped out Dual port 10Gb Card for a Quad 2.5Gbe Card on my Opnsense router, rebooted everything and speeds still maxing out.

Soldato
OP
What is the model of the switch? Have a Hasivo model on the way to try but always curious about other decent options.

SODOLA 6 Port 2.5G Easy Web Managed Switch,4 x 2.5G Base-T Ports, 2 x 10G SFP, Static Aggregation/QoS/VLAN/IGMP, 2.5Gb Network Switch​

Is the one I got from the big place. £65. Just make sure its the manned version what ever number of ports if you use a Virgin Media Hub 5. I'm getting full internet speeds and 280MB trasnfer between my PC and the NAS.

I don't know much about the SFP+ 10gbe ports but might be something for me to look into in the future, to increase transfer speeds even more. There's a 8/9 port version as well I believe.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom