Breakdown cover cost increase

Associate
I have just had a quote through for renewal for my AA breakdown cover. It's for road side assist only, no fancy options and they have quoted £100, which includes an arrangement and administration fee of £50.40! £50 arrangement and administration fee? What the hell? It's not like I am even a new customer that needs setting up! I paid just over £60 two years ago with some kind of deal where it was the same price for two years. I thought it would just be typical silly renewal prices, but it seems breakdown cover from both AA and RAC has got very expensive. I can remember paying £35 not long back and have been lucky enough to never need it.

There seems to be a few smaller companies offering breakdown cover now, but I have no idea if they are any good. What companies are people with, and roughly how much are you paying? Sods law that if I cancelled it, then I would suddenly need it.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've usually managed to get it "free" with either when I have a service or offers from my bank, etc. I've never paid full price for it, though sometimes I've had gaps in cover because I couldn't find a good deal.

Associate
£13 a month for the Nationwide Flex plus account which I think provides the top level of cover from the AA (100% includes home start for example). You also get the added bonus of mobile phone insurance and worldwide travel insurance.

Soldato
£13 a month for the Nationwide Flex plus account which I think provides the top level of cover from the AA (100% includes home start for example). You also get the added bonus of mobile phone insurance and worldwide travel insurance.
I pay £20 a month for our joint account with NatWest, couldn't cover 2 iPhones for that nevermind travel insurance and breakdown cover etc.

Soldato
£200 for the year with Green Flag for 2 cars. One car is over 16 years old and has UK only roadside assistance and recovery, and the other is 13 years old and has breakdown and recovery including Europe.

Soldato
I have just had a quote through for renewal for my AA breakdown cover. It's for road side assist only, no fancy options and they have quoted £100, which includes an arrangement and administration fee of £50.40! £50 arrangement and administration fee? What the hell? It's not like I am even a new customer that needs setting up! I paid just over £60 two years ago with some kind of deal where it was the same price for two years. I thought it would just be typical silly renewal prices, but it seems breakdown cover from both AA and RAC has got very expensive. I can remember paying £35 not long back and have been lucky enough to never need it.

There seems to be a few smaller companies offering breakdown cover now, but I have no idea if they are any good. What companies are people with, and roughly how much are you paying? Sods law that if I cancelled it, then I would suddenly need it.
every year my mum threatens to leave and gets a better deal (a bit like car insurance).

I pay my bank £14 a month - I think it is - and get the top tier RAC for both my wife and I on both our cars, as well as world wide travel insurance Inc stuff like skiing and scuba etc. ,(there is no increase in price for doing it on a joint account )

ok so that is over £150 a year but if you go abroad even once it ends up decent value.

Last edited:
Soldato
Green flag £65 per year full UK Recovery, home start etc. Same as last year but as the car is a couple of years old we negotiated on that basis. Our 13 year old fiat was £90 two years ago.

The one time we I used them, they were excellent.

Soldato
i paid £60 with Ping for the year, i have a 1.6tdi so i need it
  • Unlimited Call outs
  • Roadside Assist
  • Local Recovery up to 20 miles
  • Nationwide Recovery
  • Home Assistance
  • Alternative Travel/Overnight Accommodation
  • Misfuelling Cover
  • Key Assist

Soldato
Stayed with AA for combined insurance&breakdown - insurance component was like £25 dearer than elsewhere but the breakdown circa £20 was £40 cheaper - one stop shop.

nationwide cover seems a bit weird https://www.nationwide.co.uk/current-accounts/flexplus/breakdown-cover/ devils in the detail
Your nominated vehicle will not be recovered ifit will cost more than its current market value,or if the cost of repairs is £500 or less
last problem I had, where I nearly made a call out , was clutch slave cylinder that cost £150 to repair ?
my car was also imported which seems not allowed.

Soldato
I also use nationwide. Just open a flex plus account and set up a direct debit if you don't actually want to use the account.

Mobile phone excess is £60 for android. Cheap doo for a smashed screen

Associate
every year my mum threatens to leave and gets a better deal (a bit like car insurance).

I pay my bank £14 a month - I think it is - and get the top tier RAC for both my wife and I on both our cars, as well as world wide travel insurance Inc stuff like skiing and scuba etc. ,(there is no increase in price for doing it on a joint account )

ok so that is over £150 a year but if you go abroad even once it ends up decent value.
Which bank is this? That's pretty good value for the travel insurance incl. sports.

Soldato
Which bank is this? That's pretty good value for the travel insurance incl. sports.
Barclays ....additions active I think it's called.

not a patch on what it used to be. it used to have British gas home care in as well for servicing/repairing your boiler and was only £10 a month... but they lost a fortune on it then!.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just done an AA quote out of interest but they are doing a discount at the moment until 2nd April,

IMG20240329093211.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
This is what I have. Thankfully I haven’t had to use it but I was with hsbc select and cover until they upped their price.

Soldato
thats pretty good. can you get it for 2 people for that price on a joint account ? if so I may sack off additions active . also given the choice I would take AA over RAC who I am with with my bank

Back
Top Bottom