**British Armed Forces Discussion Thread**

Associate
Have we had any updates on the pension stuff recently?

Is it not a case of if you joined more than 2 years prior to April '15 the you stay put on '05, otherwise you're on '15.

This is exciting if true :D

https://assets.publishing.service.g...ile/901330/REM-MCCLOUD_CONSULTATION_Final.pdf

Essentially, go back to whatever scheme you were forced to move from till April 2022, then everyone moves to the 15 scheme again.

Soldato
https://assets.publishing.service.g...ile/901330/REM-MCCLOUD_CONSULTATION_Final.pdf

Essentially, go back to whatever scheme you were forced to move from till April 2022, then everyone moves to the 15 scheme again.
So it states 3 years then (April '12) not 2. So anyone who joined after April 12 will not a part of the extension until 2022, this is what I'm understanding from this line:

" To be eligible for the pension changes to remove past discrimination SP must have been in service on or before 31 Mar 12 and on or after 1 Apr 15"

Man of Honour
Interesting ref: the pension stuff above. I'd heard things were afoot but nothing concrete or about how things would lay themselves out for individuals. Does anyone know if this is reflected on the pension calculator now or will there need to be some severe jiggery for that to show the new value?

:edit: OK, OK, I admit I didn't read the above pdf before posting :o. It seems we'll be given a choice not before April 2022. I might have to break out some dodgy excel later and try to work out the 05 vs 15 for me, the majority of my earnings were from 15 onwards.

Associate
Interesting ref: the pension stuff above. I'd heard things were afoot but nothing concrete or about how things would lay themselves out for individuals. Does anyone know if this is reflected on the pension calculator now or will there need to be some severe jiggery for that to show the new value?

Its still out for public consultation till the end of this month I think - the pension calculator won’t be updated for a while I would imagine. You may be able to work out a rough guess from the pension booklets I would think...?

Soldato

:edit: OK, OK, I admit I didn't read the above pdf before posting :o. It seems we'll be given a choice not before April 2022. I might have to break out some dodgy excel later and try to work out the 05 vs 15 for me, the majority of my earnings were from 15 onwards.
If you promoted high and quickly, perhaps 15 might even work out better for you.

Man of Honour
If you promoted high and quickly, perhaps 15 might even work out better for you.

My promotion story was neither quick nor high :p

I've done some quick fag packet maths and it does seem like I'm due more on a mix of 05/15 than I would be at solely 05. This feels wrong, more fag packets required probably.

Associate
My promotion story was neither quick nor high :p

I've done some quick fag packet maths and it does seem like I'm due more on a mix of 05/15 than I would be at solely 05. This feels wrong, more fag packets required probably.

You and me both mate - luckily I joined on 75 it’s easy enough to find out my final figures, along with having a current ROS which will take me almost up to 25 years whether I make Sgt or not...

I had my 6 month point the other day.... for my second RAF career. My first go was 19 years leaving 2016. I don’t yet regret re-joining.

what trade/branch if you don’t mind me asking mate...?

Soldato

Had to Google wtf that was.

Once the decision has been made as to which way this mess will go, there will be a revised pension calculator released. For now, just adjust your age to make sure you were 45 or older on 1 April 2012.

This will give you your pension figures if you had remained on 75 (adjust for inflation etc).

Soldato
Small update. Over a year and a half later I have had laryngoscopy (during exercise), CT scans etc and turns out to be a form of tracheobronchomalacia (EDAC) where the back walls of my trachea and bronchi collapse, may not have asthma though. Been given physio for now to see how I get on.
Grading review in a couple of months.

Soldato
Small update. Over a year and a half later I have had laryngoscopy (during exercise), CT scans etc and turns out to be a form of tracheobronchomalacia (EDAC) where the back walls of my trachea and bronchi collapse, may not have asthma though. Been given physio for now to see how I get on.
Grading review in a couple of months.
Think yourself lucky, the NHS is in a shambles at the moment but healthcare through the forces will sort you out.

Soldato
Think yourself lucky, the NHS is in a shambles at the moment but healthcare through the forces will sort you out.

My experience with the med centre has been the opposite. It took too long a time to get it through to them how quickly this exacerbates. On phys I can't do much more than a fast walk without getting breathing problems and hypocapnia, their solution was to just do regular phys and stop when it exacerbates (causing more damage).
If it's not MSK they don't have a ******* clue.

Associate
Family has a long history in the forces, Granda mc mullan was in the home guard in ww2, other granda was at D day, i assume he landed on one of the British designated beaches as an engineer, then went through, france, belgium, netherlands and Germany till the wars end, My dad says he was badly injured at one stage by one of those doodlebugs, the v2 flying bombs that run out of fuel and randomly drop out of the sky. Dad then joined the local UDR, ulster defence regiment during the trouble here, joined in the 70s, served the full 22 years, would have been some bad times as my local town had nearly 30 people killed, mainly by the IRA over the course of the conflict, a lot of them part time soldiers, who would have been easy targets, thankfully we are slowing going into better times, I work as an electrician since i left school, early 2000s

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I have given up trying to work out my armed forces pension, not that 5 years is a long time, but it was 30 years so perhaps it might pay for my OAP gas bill but thats about it when i retire in another 10 years :)

I think its changed about 6 times since I left.

Associate
I have given up trying to work out my armed forces pension, not that 5 years is a long time, but it was 30 years so perhaps it might pay for my OAP gas bill but thats about it when i retire in another 10 years :)

Isn't there an online Armed Forces pension calculator?

Associate

You can contact:

Joint Personnel Administration Centre (JPAC)
Mail Point 480
Kentigern House
65 Brown Street
Glasgow
G2 8EX
United Kingdom

Phone: 0800 085 3600
Phone (from overseas): 0044 141 224 3600
Phone (military): 94560 3600

Back
Top Bottom