Brixton Academy ?

Soldato
a well known venue, but one i have not been to, I’m going to be buying some tickets for Arcade Fire who play there in March, i have been offered 'The Circle' or Standing,

can anyone who has been there confirm what the circle is compared to seating and standing, as it appears you can do both in 'the circle' :)

Soldato
Standing is downstairs in the stalls on the same level as the stage - no seating. It's the largest area, sloped down to the front all the way up to the back where the bars are. There are a few raised level parts at the back and sides you can stand at (I think) if you don't wish to be in the crush of the main crowd.

BrixtonCrowd.jpg

Circle is upstairs in the balcony part, and is nearly all seated. I've not been up there, so can't comment on the quality of view, but it appears there is a limited area of the balcony where you can stand (the site suggests it's just 78 places). I'd expect standing in the circle would be a worse view than sitting in the circle.

'Standing' is very likely to be in the downstairs area, as standing in the circle would usually be listed as Circle (Standing).

Soldato
OP
Augmented said:
Standing is downstairs in the stalls on the same level as the stage - no seating. It's the largest area, sloped down to the front all the way up to the back where the bars are. There are a few raised level parts at the back and sides you can stand at (I think) if you don't wish to be in the crush of the main crowd.

BrixtonCrowd.jpg

Circle is upstairs in the balcony part, and is nearly all seated. I've not been up there, so can't comment on the quality of view, but it appears there is a limited area of the balcony where you can stand (the site suggests it's just 78 places). I'd expect standing in the circle would be a worse view than sitting in the circle.

'Standing' is very likely to be in the downstairs area, as standing in the circle would usually be listed as Circle (Standing).

thanks you very much! i'm looking forward to going, not been there before, and after reading you views i will def take the standing tickets, i'm 6'3 so views won't be a prob, i wanna be in the mosh! :D

thanks yooooooooooooooooou!

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Used to go to the academy back in the old rave days. Was a great place and always kicked off but as the night goes on and you get more and more wasted you keep falling over. You are dancing away and as you put a foot down the floor is not there and over you go. There used to be people falling over all over the place constantly :p
Sloping floors and completely wasted people are funny. As for going upstairs i never did, not once if i can remember anything about it. The stairs were probably to much for me :o

Soldato
No problem. You're fortunate to have the height for live music. I'm afflicted with being of the shorter stature, and so often end up as a Boo Boo in a crowd of Yogi Bears :D. Sloping floors like they have at Brixton are always a blessing.

One thing worth mentioning are the metal bars right in the front-centre of the stalls:

20050915134621sdf6.jpg

Just be aware they're there as it can be a pain if you're trying to sneakily squeeze your way down to the front, and then have all your plans scuppered when you suddenly end up with them and a solid wall of people blocking your way - can always try duck underneath though!

Hope you enjoy it, Brixton's always a good venue for gigs and seeing the Arcade Fire live should be excellent.

Soldato
OP
Augmented said:
No problem. You're fortunate to have the height for live music. I'm afflicted with being of the shorter stature, and so often end up as a Boo Boo in a crowd of Yogi Bears :D. Sloping floors like they have at Brixton are always a blessing.

One thing worth mentioning are the metal bars right in the front-centre of the stalls:

20050915134621sdf6.jpg

Just be aware they're there as it can be a pain if you're trying to sneakily squeeze your way down to the front, and then have all your plans scuppered when you suddenly end up with them and a solid wall of people blocking your way - can always try duck underneath though!

Hope you enjoy it, Brixton's always a good venue for gigs and seeing the Arcade Fire live should be excellent.

thanks again mate, it looks great as well, Hammersmith Apollo is very similar with slope and the bars...

Soldato
Augmented said:

Are you sure theyre still there? I went the the Academy (for the first time actually) not too long ago and i dont remember any? :confused:

Soldato
Scam said:
Are you sure theyre still there? I went the the Academy (for the first time actually) not too long ago and i dont remember any? :confused:
Curious. No, I'm not certain about that. I actually haven't been there in a year or so, and I first went over ten years ago, so my memories may now be blurring into one :D. Though they are, as I say, a malicious stealth barrier and potentially hard to spot in the crowd.

Associate
was there monday night seeing KillswitchEngage.

the bars at the side were there, cant remember the one right infront of the stage.
might be there mind, just cant remember but the two off centre were.

Associate
The front ones were definately there when I saw Editors not long ago.

I sat in the circle when seeing AFI last year - View is ok but if you want to take pictures then you'd need a fairly powerful zoom! It's also usually unreserved so you have to get there early for a really good seat. It was ALL seating when I went.

Back
Top Bottom