Build log: Boredom Struck

Associate
Great works dude, looks a very clean build, can't argue with the red dye although I understand you thinking of something different. That's a really nice case too.

Associate
OP
Thanks chaps. I'm definitely going to change the colour though, I like the translucent look of the fluid I have now, but the reds totally off to the cables. Might have to go for a pastel instead, I'll have an experiment when the Corsair Link turns up.

Associate
OP
I had white on my last build so fancied a change, but I do really like it. I think I've still got a litre of Ice Dragon Nano knocking about somewhere...

Associate
OP
Cheers mate. I'd say it's not very difficult to do but it does require a bit of patience and careful measuring. I'd recommend getting a monsoon bending kit, using their kit it's a lot easier. I would recommend it to anyone that wants to get stuck in, it's good fun and rewarding.

The fan controller is due to arrive today. Hoping to get that fitted and set up this weekend.

Associate
OP

Not much in the way of instructions inside...

I'm eager to see how well it works. I've always used a traditional style fan controller in previous builds, the old Lamptron FC5 served me well for a couple of years. But times are a changing, no drive bays in this one.

Associate
OP
It's fitted now, very straight forward and the software seems pretty good too. You can set each fan up separately and link the fan speed to the temp of any components in the system. The custom fan curve eludes my understanding at the present moment but I'll investigate it further after the rugby.

Here is where I've stashed it. We all have an ugly side, and good lord this build ain't pretty on the dark side. The cablemod kit is great, but you have a lot of excess cabling to try and squeeze in. You can also see my stealth drain tube here, I struggled for a drain port on this build so I've got it coming out of one of the outlets on the pump. I'll have to tilt the case on its front to drain most of the fluid out but it should work well enough.

The case has a handy panel that screws on to hide a multitude of sins and helps push the cables down out of the way of the side panel. You get a lot more room to play with on this case than any other I've built in before.

Associate
OP
Had a bit more of a play with overclocks. The cpu seems to be hitting very good overclocks and remarkably low voltage. Only testing it's stability using prime95 which is really pushing the temps. It's hitting 80 degrees after about 45 minutes on prime95 at 4.6ghz and 1.2v.

Tried it on Firestrike to get a benchmark score, never used it before though so don't have anything to compare it to. It sounds low to me, I can push the gpu and cpu more but I see little point for the negligable improvement in games.

Taken the cpu back down to 4.4ghz at 1.12v which it sits stable at on prime95 for hours and doesn't go above 74 degrees. I think I'm happier running it like that. This wasn't built to be an overclocking beast with the small rads and very low speed fans. Silence is golden afterall.

Associate
OP
Got myself a lighting kit to run off the corsair commander and I have to say it's a good bit of kit. Only put in one strip and it's really bright, and the colour combinations are almost endless.

Still undecided about coolant colour, I drained the system last night and took it all apart to get to cleaning out all the red dye. Easier said than done.

Chucked in some pastel white which I'm thinking of adding some blue dye to, and after a test on a small amount in a bit of tubing it comes out remarkably close to the shade of blue on the psu.

Quite liking the white at the moment though so I'll mull it over for a day or so and see what happens. The red cables really don't work but at £80 for a cable kit it's a tough one to swallow and I don't have the time at the moment to make my own.

Associate
I like the idea of coolant with a hint of blue as it will fit in with the Corsair PSU colour scheme. Also it should look good with your new lighting strip (Which also looks very nice btw) but you're right that you would need to replace the cables to match the new colour scheme. :D

Still, although it might be a bit steep for the cables considering how much you've spent on the system you may as well wait and go the extra mile. :)

Associate
OP
Hate is a strong word.

If I can muster the patience, I'll either go back to clear coolant or the red dye. I really like the colour of the blue, but it just doesn't work with anything else, and I can't find a sleeve that matches the shade of blue. Though it looks a lot better in person than it does in pictures, it's still not doing it for me.

Back
Top Bottom