Building a lean to greenhouse

So you didnt do the cranked ones? Looks good actually. Are you able to lock it so only the front set open?

And need some way of holding the lid open.

2 things, stick in slots and chain to keep hold of the lid.
OR, a pegged stick so it functions like a traditional window catch, with more or less opening in effect if that makes sense.
But you want some way for it being secure as opposed to propped open relying on gravity, seen plenty of this type of thing ripped off at the allotment ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So you didnt do the cranked ones? Looks good actually. Are you able to lock it so only the front set open?

2 things, stick in slots and chain to keep hold of the lid.
OR, a pegged stick so it functions like a traditional window catch, with more or less opening in effect if that makes sense.
But you want some way for it being secure as opposed to propped open relying on gravity, seen plenty of this type of thing ripped off at the allotment ;)

I didn't bother with cranked hinges no, I don't think they would have done what I wanted, and it's quite hard to find out the movement range of different hinge types so I gave up on that.

What do you mean 'lock'? The two front doors both open and I will be fitting a small catch so that they can be held open. And I'll be fitting a clasp to the lid to hold that in place as well.

Yeah I'm still struggling on the lid though. I wanted a slotted metal bar with a wingnut, but can't find it.

I didn't bother with cranked hinges no, I don't think they would have done what I wanted, and it's quite hard to find out the movement range of different hinge types so I gave up on that.

What do you mean 'lock'? The two front doors both open and I will be fitting a small catch so that they can be held open. And I'll be fitting a clasp to the lid to hold that in place as well.

Yeah I'm still struggling on the lid though. I wanted a slotted metal bar with a wingnut, but can't find it.

I mean lock as in do you have to open the door fully, maybe you always plan to. I mean is there a bolt on the inside so the left (as you look at your picture) can open the same as the right.

Screwfix have some threaded cover, cheap, not too thick, 6mm holes I believe. Think people say 5mm threaded rod (or bolt is perfect)

I would use something like that if you don't want to make wooden rods.

Associate

For the top you want either the
Screw down stay or the casement stay arm in this link

Soldato

Could you use a hydraulic bonnet strut for the lid?

Something like this…

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I mean lock as in do you have to open the door fully, maybe you always plan to. I mean is there a bolt on the inside so the left (as you look at your picture) can open the same as the right.

Ah I see. Yeah I thought I would need to do this but it swings in a nice arc without it so I don't think I need to. I'll put a catch on so it can hook safely back against the side panel.

the top you want either the
Screw down stay or the casement stay arm in this link

Ah yes old fashioned window stay looks ideal. Normally mounted horizontally rather than vertically in my case but should do the trick I think.

Soldato
OP
Shelves inside need to span just under 1.2m X 0.6m and I was planning three shelves inside. I was going to make them slatted but it's a lot of wood. I wonder if sheet material (OSB/ply) would be good enough? Only issue would be water sitting on it.

Associate
I would be careful with window stays unless the area is sheltered from wind.
I have had them fail twice on polycarbonate windows as they are so light.
Thats why I now use a pegged stay.

Was different with old glass greenhouses.

Its why your idea of slotted bar with wingnut type thing is better IMO.
You just use something like this to hold it up

Get one to fit through the holes in the stay and get a wing nut to fit it

Soldato
Shelves inside need to span just under 1.2m X 0.6m and I was planning three shelves inside. I was going to make them slatted but it's a lot of wood. I wonder if sheet material (OSB/ply) would be good enough? Only issue would be water sitting on it.

Definitely worth making them slatted as they will let light through to the lower levels as well. Also - make sure they are installed in a way that they can easily be removed/lifted out so you have the option of growing taller plants as well.

Edit - Look for something similar to this that you can rob the shelves off of - https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/omar-2...VykBBAh2eegmMEAQYAyABEgKqkfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

£24 aint expensive TBH. I realise the size might not be a good fit but just to give you an idea. You can even turn those shelves upside down to give you a "lip" all around making the plants more secure

Edit 2 - https://www.wickes.co.uk/Smart-Garden-4-Tier-GroZone-Shelving/p/263587 (they are 31mm deep so 1 placed in front of the other might fit?)

I just searched "greenhouse shelves" in Google for ideas

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I've gone for cheap black casement stays. Not too bad, bit awkward to find a spot to fit them, would have preferred them on the inside I think but not enough room to mount them on the frame.

PXL-20240510-180328014.jpg

They'll do the job but I'd only rate them 5 out of 10.

Soldato
Have you checked out those "auto lifters"? They go on the inside and open by the heat IIRC.

Yeah they are for Greenhouse windows. They are filled with a fluid so, as it gets hotter inside, they open the window more to cool it down then close again as it cools.... You set the level by twisting the tube (looks like the lifters you get on car boots)

Back
Top Bottom