• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Bulldozer performance figures are in

Soldato
I don't mind if Bulldozer had lower IPC TBH as it also depends on what type of stock clockspeeds it has and how far it will overclock. At least for me the multi-threaded performance is also a factor so it depends on what is the better mix for me.

Having said that it might just be cheaper to plonk a Core i7 into my motherboard! :D

Last edited:
Associate
Indeed.
I want it to be good, I'd love to jump back into an AMD set up on a CHV, but only if the 8130 is clock for clock almost as good as the 2500k.

Why does it have to be as good clock for clock? why not just be as good in stock speeds or max overclock speeds?

intel is of course faster if the clock speed and number of cores are the same, but amd has increased clock speeds and more cores for the same price which makes up for the poorer clock for clock speeds.

Soldato
Indeed.
I want it to be good, I'd love to jump back into an AMD set up on a CHV, but only if the 8130 is clock for clock almost as good as the 2500k.
Why does this matter? Price-for-price is the comparison you should be looking at, at both stock speeds and maximum expected overclock.

The i7-990X is faster clock-for-clock than the i7-2600K but everyone would agree that the i7-2600K is a better buy.

EDIT: What clocka said. :p

Caporegime
Why does this matter? Price-for-price is the comparison you should be looking at, at both stock speeds and maximum expected overclock.

The i7-990X is faster clock-for-clockthan the i7-2600K but everyone would agree that the i7-2600K is a better buy.

EDIT: What clocka said. :p

No it's not?
And as said earlier, we need higher performing cores, not more cores, which is why the 1100T gets demolished.

cinebench.gif

Single threaded, the 2500k is ahead of the 980x.

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh, you're talking about clock-for-clock and core-for-core? Well in that case, yes, single-threaded performance is important. But it's still dependant on price.

Caporegime
Oh, you're talking about clock-for-clock and core-for-core? Well in that case, yes, single-threaded performance is important. But it's still dependant on price.

Yes, that's what I'm talking about :p
The 8130p is pegged at being the same price as the 2600k, and is faster in apps that can use all the threads of the 8130p.

The 4 core BD variant will ultimately lose out to the 2500k.

Soldato
Impressive results if true, especially as an engineering sample with lower clocks (retail 8130p is supposed to be 3.8GHz base, and able to turbo all 8 cores to 4.2GHz, or take 4 cores or less to 4.8GHz).
If the >5Ghz air overclocks are commonplace at retail it's got real potential.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I imagine a 6-core version will be in the i5-2500K price bracket.

But so is the 1100T now, the 2500k will still win, but where the 1100T wins now, the gap will be greater. So again, good for rendering etc.

Impressive results if true, especially as an engineering sample with lower clocks (retail 8130p is supposed to be 3.8GHz base, and able to turbo all 8 cores to 4.2GHz, or take 4 cores or less to 4.8GHz).
If the >5Ghz air overclocks are commonplace at retail it's got real potential.

It's supposed to be 3.2GHZ base, 4.2GHZ turbo. The other turbos to 3.8

Soldato
But so is the 1100T now, the 2500k will still win, but where the 1100T wins now, the gap will be greater. So again, good for rendering etc.

A Zambezi 6-core should clock a lot higher than Thuban, so would be much closer to the i5-2500K in single-threaded applications at max overclock (although admittedly probably still a bit behind). Hell, at stock, they'd probably be an even match because of the aggressive single-core Turbo Core AMD is using on Zambezi.

Back
Top Bottom