Bust that belly and get fit for summer!

Soldato
OP
Shiftwork is fine, you can work the plan around your lifestyle. The workouts take about 1.5 hours max. 8 hours sleep a night is ideal but you can get away with 7. The rest is just as important as the training as it allows your body to recover and repair itself.

The eating key is regular, small, low fat meals. Just getting into the mentality that it isnt good to eat large meals three times a day. 5-6 smaller ones is the way to go. You don't have to eat exactly what is on that diet plan, just items similar to that. As some people have mentioned you may want to ditch the fruit juice early morning and replace it with a piece of fruit and change the post workout shake to whey in water. I have literally hundreds of recipes that I can share if the eating is going to cause problems in preparation time.

Just fit the exercise in when you can. The above plan is based around someone fitting in their workout in the afternoon some time. But you can mix it up, some people I know go to the gym before breakfast. Some go at lunchtime. If you can't spend 1.5 hours in the gym on the day when you are supposed to be doing weights and cardio then split them up. Go for a 20 min jog in the morning before breakfast then do the weights later in the day. Or have a rest day on a different day if your shifts dont allow it. You will have to make some sacrifices to your lifestyle though- that 1 hour previously spent vegging out on the playstation will now have to be used in the gym. You will find it just as relaxing, if not more so after time though :)

Like I say, the above is not a set in stone plan that you must follow or else it wont work- it is just a collection of advice and a starting point for someone who hasn't exercised for a while and wants to get a bit fitter and lose some fat. You can mix things from the plan to suit your lifestyle. As long as you eat sensibly and become more active then you should see results.

Hope this helps?

Last edited:
Associate
How would you help someone who has an odd shift pattern and can't follow what you've posted?

Simply keep carbs below 150 - 200g (personally i aim for 100g) a day while trying not to have over 50g per serving and fats below 50g a day. Ideally having a portion of protein every meal which should be every 3 - 3.5 hours. You should see weight come off, chuck in some cardio when you can - sorted.

Soldato
Yesterday I played a good few hours of Basketball and still forced meself to do my 10 minute run which actually suprised me but I'm feeling so sore today I don't know if I should try and go for a run today or not.

Also when running in thecold is there anyway to avoid cold nostrils when you breath in through your nose and I suppose carrying water is the only solution to a dry throat?

Soldato
This plan looks great and I will definitely be giving it a go!

I have been doing a Body Pump class (weights) and Body Combat (cardio) at my local gym for the last month or so, but I believe my diet has been letting me down and stopping me from loosing the flab. Hopefully this coupled with your plan will help me get where I want to be.

Great post, cheers :)

Soldato
Have been to the gym for 2 days in a row so far. I had a personal programme drawn up for me today which should help me on my way a little more. The treadmill is much less hateful than I remember the bike just seems easy (took me almost 15 minutes to get my heart to 150! I was trying!) and rowing machines are terrible! I'm going to aim to get down the gym 5 times a week.

My exercise plan thus far is:

20-25 minute cycle into college
20 minute interval training on treadmill (30 seconds walk, 30 seconds jog, 1 minute run)
15 minutes on the rower at constant rate. I might change to distance because it's psychologically easier. Also as I get fitter I might do some sprints.
Weights, mostly lighter, higher repetitions. I'm not looking to bulk out for a month or two. Will rotate between different muscle groups throughout the week.
20-25 minute cycle home.

I obviously have to do some work inbetween cycling to college and going home, so it won't all be in one go.

Should be good, shame that I'm heading out to Italy in 2.5 weeks, but I'll have access to a rower, exercise bike and pool there so I should be able to keep up some training. Will be eating better there too I should imagine.

I need to sort out my diet, but one step at a time! I'll be drinking a lot less due to it being holiday time, although the world cup is looming.

Soldato
Youstolemyname said:
You have a post workout shake in the plan and here are the ingredients:

200ml of skimmed milk
1 cup of Quaker Oats (unsweetened)
1 banana
1 tbsp of peanut butter

Mix all the above in a blender and whiz until smooth then drink down. Add some ice cubes as well if you wish to make it even tastier!
I made myself one of these on returning from the gym last night and as a pre-dinner filler.....Man did it fill me up! I could barely eat any of my dinner - the missus was not happy!!

Soldato
OP
mark66 said:
I made myself one of these on returning from the gym last night and as a pre-dinner filler.....Man did it fill me up! I could barely eat any of my dinner - the missus was not happy!!

Lol. Yeah, it will do that. That's not a bad thing though as it means you wont gorge yourself as much at dinner. What you eat at dinner doesn't generally get burnt off as you don't do much exercise at night.

If it becomes an issue for you then another option for the shake is getting some whey protein and mixing it with water. Holland and barrets have a sale on at the mo and it is only a tenner for a kilo of the stuff. Or use any of the many sites online for some, affordablesupplements.co.uk or myprotein.co.uk being two good ones. That should be a little less filling than the banana/oats mix.

Caporegime
if your a bit too full to have a proper meal after the gym session and a thick shake, then i tend to find a bowl of musli at about 9.30 (good handfull of the stuff) kills any hunger, whilst also keeping the metabolism up for the first few hours in bed :]

thats when i actually goto bed, im generally up until 2am ish so dont burn as much during sleep as i could :/

Soldato
shez said:
Good work, obviously spent some time on it. A few things though.

PWO shake is a load of crap tbh especially on a diet. All you need is whey in water. Also too much fruit juice, too much sugar = lots of insulin which is not what you want. Have an apple instead, good fibre, low gi.

Also routine is poor, too much volume. A 3 day split is more ideal based around deadlift/squat/bench + military press limiting to 3-5 exercises + abs twice a week.

But other than that, very good.
I've always seen PWO shake as whey and maybe some oats as carbs (you can use skimmed milk instead of water, as it won't coagulate with the whey like full fat milk does, but that's down to personal preference). Nuts are also good.

I wouldn't bother with abs if squats are being performed properly.

This should be a decent routine to use :
Tuesday (Chest/Shoulder/Triceps)
Incline Dumbbell Press – 3x8
Decline Dumbbell Press - 3x8
Military Dumbbell Press – 3x8
Decline Extensions (EZ) – 3x8
Lateral Dumbbell Raises – 3x8

Thursday (Back/Biceps)

Dead lifts (OB) – 3x8
Bent over one arm Dumbbell rows – 3x8
Wide arm pullups - 3x8
Seated Dumbbell Curl -3x8