C8 incoming

Soldato
EbgobA6.jpg

WZq0Avk.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
I'm not seeing the case makers move towards the connectors being on the back too quickly. Or the motherboard makers to be honest. Think it will become mainstream?

Don
I'm not seeing the case makers move towards the connectors being on the back too quickly. Or the motherboard makers to be honest. Think it will become mainstream?
It seems a relatively low risk change from a case makers point of view though - some cutouts in the right place, and a bit more room behind the motherboard tray. (Which doesn't stop existing boards from being used)

(Whereas the motherboards can only be used in compatible cases)

Associate
It seems a relatively low risk change from a case makers point of view though - some cutouts in the right place, and a bit more room behind the motherboard tray. (Which doesn't stop existing boards from being used)

(Whereas the motherboards can only be used in compatible cases)

It still requires an investment in the necessary machining. But yeah, I guess it's up to the motherboard makers to decide if they want to push it. If it's a relatively inexpensive change for the case makers and they can make some cut outs and some minor tweaks in new case lines, they'll just follow suit.

I think the motherboard would look very empty without the cables running to it though!

Don
Soldato
OP
I didn't realise that MSI coined the term "project zero" for the rear side motherboard connectors, thanks for the info.

I'm not sure of the uptake that this format will have, time will tell I suppose. However I know that retooling a motherboard tray and adding additional space behind the montherboard tray can cost case manufacturers a 6 figure retooling cost in USD in some cases. So it is a massive undertaking to do that. I would expect that future new tooling projects would be more likely to consider this, but most cases that have recently launched or will launch in the next 6 months will have had the tooling created a while back now, because typically the time frame to design, make and mass produce a new case design is upwards of 6 months at least, with it often hitting 9-12 months lead time.

Soldato
I just don't like the idea of pumping air in from the side and slamming it into glass to turn 90 degrees to get out of the rear of the case.

Back
Top Bottom