Can i plug pc on that apartment? Old fuse box

Associate
Hello. I will be buying new apartment to live. But that fuse box is older. Not the newest.
And my question. It will be fine to plug pc in this new apartment with older electrical fuse box i think it is aluminium,right?

PC WILL BE: Rtx 4090,14900K,1600W PSU

In this cheaper apartment it look like this ( screen from internet ). Can i plug pc with that one?

screen of this:
Getty-Images-1345734173.jpg

room:
nm.jpg

Associate
OP
Hello again.Last question. Someone said this to me.

"I would get advice from a local electrician that you trust. Nobody here can tell you if the wiring / fuses / whatever in that apartment are safe for use with any given load.

This is particularly important seeing as you are buying the apartment. Never mind "can I use my gaming PC" - is it safe / do I need to budget for some electrical work would be higher in my thinking (impressed with your priorities though! :LOL:)

You should be having an inspection done anyway before buying, which ought to include the electrical system, but presumably if the fuses and wiring are rated for the usual 15A/120V in the US (or whatever it is wherever you are) then it will support whatever normal stuff you plug in, just like anything with newer wiring. I'd definitely have a good UPS on important stuff, and surge suppressors on less important things.

So that's towards the ragged edge of what a 15 amp circuit can carry if you hit the PSU maximums. Thankfully the 4090 isn't as peaky as the Ampere generation cards, but the CPU is a big and constant power draw on that system. You probably need an electrician to ensure that not only are the fuses safe, but that you know how many circuits you have, how big they are and where they go. 1800w is probably a realistic maximum for not overloading a 15 amp circuit, so PC + monitor + speakers etc. is likely fine if you have a 15 amp circuit just for the computer area, but if you try putting another high wattage device on the same circuit-- like a microwave, heater, air conditioning, air fryer, etc. you'll risk blowing the circuit and the fuse and that's Not Good. Old places might even have 10 amp circuits and that's also something you'd need to be very careful about.

If you can see problems like that in an old building, that may be the tip of the iceberg as in the early days of electrical hookups, they did a bad job of anticipating just how much the need for power in the future would be and you can run into strange situations where circuits are shared across places you might not expect. Hopefully it's at least copper wire and the ground actually goes to ground..."

So plug pc on this apartment or look for other apartment?

Associate
"I would get advice from a local electrician that you trust..."
This sounds like good advice to me. Even if the wiring is sound, if it's as old as it looks then it will probably be missing important modern safety features like an RCD (otherwise known as a GFCI).

Associate
OP
Ok last question.

This is screen with room with next apartment with new electrics( with gas heating too ). Like you see there is also kitchen. Where should i place pc to be safe? Look:
nm.jpg

Near window but what if will be raining?

Someone said this to me:"I would never place a PC in a kitchen - any PC that's as fast as the one you mentioned WILL be pulling in a lot of air, and that WILL result in steam being pulled into your case and making your heatsink and fans sticky, likely eventually causing the heat death of the system."

So skip that apartment if there is kitchen in the same room?

Man of Honour
Someone said this to me:"I would never place a PC in a kitchen - any PC that's as fast as the one you mentioned WILL be pulling in a lot of air, and that WILL result in steam being pulled into your case and making your heatsink and fans sticky, likely eventually causing the heat death of the system."

So skip that apartment if there is kitchen in the same room?
It depends on: 1. how much air the PC is pulling in, 2. the cooking. If you only have a microwave, it'd likely be fine, especially if the PC is not even close. It'd also be helpful to have a hood/extractor fan.

Associate
OP
Oki i swear last question.
Last question. According to that apartment with old fuses , someone said this to me:" I certainly would not connect anything to those old fuses. If the fuses are that old, then so is all the wiring in that apartment. IMO That's a fire looking for a place to happen."

So dont buy that apartment?
nm.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Oki i swear last question.
Last question. According to that apartment with old fuses , someone said this to me:" I certainly would not connect anything to those old fuses. If the fuses are that old, then so is all the wiring in that apartment. IMO That's a fire looking for a place to happen."

So dont buy that apartment?

You're better off asking an electrician.

I'm not sure what the law is in Poland but over here when you buy a property you get a valuation/survey completed and it will say on there if the wiring is safe or if it'll need replacing

Associate
OP
Oki. Thank you so much for helping and replies. Really greafful. In next tuesday i am going to notary to buy apartment.That one:

pp.jpg

nm.jpg

Thanks again. And sorry for my bad language.

Back
Top Bottom