Can I use Floorstanding speakers for my surround/rear audio?

Soldato
Hello

I'm finally having a rejig of my stuff into a new room which has a more space. Up front will be the Triangle Borea BR08 and BRC01 speakers. I currently have two small Minix M22 spakers for the surround audio. With the room move, I have plenty of space to fit a "proper" set of speakers behind the seating position. Am I OK to use another pair of BR08 for this purpose? Or would a better solution be to upgrade the front's to perhaps the BR09 model and then use the current BR08 for the rear. (The BR09 on paper are able to reach 35Hz)

Thanks as always.

Soldato
Yes you can. But mid size standmount will have sufficient bandwidth for rears

What is the distance from head and rear speaker location and how much space around and behind rear speaker

Soldato
Hello

I'm finally having a rejig of my stuff into a new room which has a more space. Up front will be the Triangle Borea BR08 and BRC01 speakers. I currently have two small Minix M22 spakers for the surround audio. With the room move, I have plenty of space to fit a "proper" set of speakers behind the seating position. Am I OK to use another pair of BR08 for this purpose? Or would a better solution be to upgrade the front's to perhaps the BR09 model and then use the current BR08 for the rear. (The BR09 on paper are able to reach 35Hz)

Thanks as always.

Yes, you can use any speaker. Many years ago for my first 5.1, the floorstanders were heavily discounted and so it was cheaper to buy a floor stander than a stand mount speaker and stand.... so I had 4 x floor stander and a centre for 10+ years.

Only changed when the room layout was updated and I needed to 'make space' so now I have wall mounted speakers front and rear.

Soldato
OP
Yes you can. But mid size standmount will have sufficient bandwidth for rears

What is the distance from head and rear speaker location and how much space around and behind rear speaker
Excuse my word drawing skills haha. It would be roughly like this which is pretty close to what Triangle say in their user manual. There is obviously wiggle room as I don't have anything in the room yet. New sofa on order, about to order the AV/TV unit, etc. So these are all tape measure and a bit of thumb in the air. :)

Sizes.jpg

Yes, you can use any speaker. Many years ago for my first 5.1, the floorstanders were heavily discounted and so it was cheaper to buy a floor stander than a stand mount speaker and stand.... so I had 4 x floor stander and a centre for 10+ years.

Only changed when the room layout was updated and I needed to 'make space' so now I have wall mounted speakers front and rear.
That is great to hear your experience thanks for that!

Soldato
Yes you can. However I only know because years ago I saw pics of Liam Howlett’s (from the Prodigy) surround set up. 20 grand floorstanders for rear speakers…

Associate
I've not got floorstanding speakers as rear speakers, it is a slight overkill though, Linn Katan's running Aktiv with 4 Tag McLaren power amps. They do very nicely match the Aktiv AV5120 center with 3 Tag amps, and the AV5140 Aktiv fronts, likewise, with 3 Tag amps each (all upgraded Linn tweeters)

It took a lot of work getting it put together, and the crossover is a custom built job, but going overkill with it does match the fronts nicely. My neighbor built it all, all the mono crossover cards were what he had going spare and the 5x100 Tag amps adapted into 4x100 are far from standard.

It's a difficult one really, I considered floorstanders, I even tried some Linn Keilidh speakers I had going spare, they sounded great, the space they took up though wasn't convenient. From personal experience I would say if you have the space then go for it.

Soldato
I've not got floorstanding speakers as rear speakers, it is a slight overkill though, Linn Katan's running Aktiv with 4 Tag McLaren power amps. They do very nicely match the Aktiv AV5120 center with 3 Tag amps, and the AV5140 Aktiv fronts, likewise, with 3 Tag amps each (all upgraded Linn tweeters)

It took a lot of work getting it put together, and the crossover is a custom built job, but going overkill with it does match the fronts nicely. My neighbor built it all, all the mono crossover cards were what he had going spare and the 5x100 Tag amps adapted into 4x100 are far from standard.

It's a difficult one really, I considered floorstanders, I even tried some Linn Keilidh speakers I had going spare, they sounded great, the space they took up though wasn't convenient. From personal experience I would say if you have the space then go for it.

Wish more speakers had aktiv option probably do it for hifi speakers.

Associate
Wish more speakers had aktiv option probably do it for hifi speakers.
He did say before I took his advice and went down the Linn route that a lot of speakers could be converted to aktiv with the right Linn cards. He did have some Aktiv Misson 753's running in his kitchen! If you think that is overkill, he now has some Linn Keltik's in there, which I believe can only be Aktiv with 4 amps each.

Edit; That is a kitchen diner, so not just speakers either side of the oven!!!

Last edited:
Soldato
He did say before I took his advice and went down the Linn route that a lot of speakers could be converted to aktiv with the right Linn cards. He did have some Aktiv Misson 753's running in his kitchen! If you think that is overkill, he now has some Linn Keltik's in there, which I believe can only be Aktiv with 4 amps each.

Edit; That is a kitchen diner, so not just speakers either side of the oven!!!

Ideally without any messing of speakers though if speakers had direct crossover bypass, and easily change back...or move aktiv from one system to the other IE I went from from bumped HT speakers to regular amplification

Associate
Ideally without any messing of speakers though if speakers had direct crossover bypass, and easily change back...or move aktiv from one system to the other IE I went from from bumped HT speakers to regular amplification
True, The Katan's it is just a case of changing where the cables plug into on the back. Probably safer that way, I've heard of people accidentally putting bass through treble and having to get tweeters replaced. If I change anything I always connect low frequency first and moving up from there. The Keilidh's were passive, the Katan's I went straight to Aktiv, so a direct comparison isn't easy.

This thread does actually remind me, I must sell my old Mission 702e's, I considered using them as rears, then decided on Keilidh's before moving to the current Katans.

Hmmm, there's a thought for tomorrow, move the Keilidh's back and try them, they currently are Aktiv in the lounge.

Back
Top Bottom