can someone recommend a good cheap psu tester?

Associate
not sure if my psu is on its way out, ive noticed when turning my psu off after shutdown by the switch mainly to stop my youngest turning my pc on when im asleep if I dont shut it down after turning it on it goes slow then shuts down on its own. theres been a few times ive noticed my fan not spinning on my rmx850 but I looked up that its designed to be like that. I wanted to get a tester to rule everything out before going a system down with a rma or wasting my time and corsairs.

Man of Honour
if I dont shut it down after turning it on it goes slow then shuts down on its own
Can you clarify what you mean? I find this sentence confusing.

a few times ive noticed my fan not spinning on my rmx850 but I looked up that its designed to be like that
Yes, this model of PSU has a zero-rpm mode.

I wanted to get a tester to rule everything out before going a system down with a rma or wasting my time and corsairs.
I don't think you'll find that cheaper testers are much good.

Soldato
I would check if fast start-up is enabled in Windows first, will require to use the old Control Panel -> Power Options -> Choose what the power buttons do -> Change settings that are currently unavailable. You want this off especially since you're turning the power off, otherwise you'll get weird behaviour when you power it back on.

Associate
OP
ially since you're turning the power off, otherwise yo
I would check if fast start-up is enabled in Windows first, will require to use the old Control Panel -> Power Options -> Choose what the power buttons do -> Change settings that are currently unavailable. You want this off especially since you're turning the power off, otherwise you'll get weird behaviour when you power it back on.
that sounds like what it could be what it is. so to clarify ill shut my pc down normally then turn my psu off by the on off switch and when I turn my switch back on the first boot it will act all slow then randomly shut down BUT if I turn it on then shut it down it doesnt do it on the second boot. Ill turn that off and see if it helps with the issue

*quick edit* ive disabled it turnt my psu off after a shutdown and kept my power button and reset switch held down and turnt it on im not noticing anything so far but will put it to the test when its left off overnight. ABSOLUTE LEGEND! if this turns out to solve the problem ive been getting.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
little update mate, had the pc turnt off all night from my psu turnt it back on today im not getting the slowdown then eventual shutdown on its own. really glad you fixed it for me I honestly thought my hardware was failing, is it something new to windows? or forced on with windows 11?

Soldato
little update mate, had the pc turnt off all night from my psu turnt it back on today im not getting the slowdown then eventual shutdown on its own. really glad you fixed it for me I honestly thought my hardware was failing, is it something new to windows? or forced on with windows 11?
It's been around since W10, what it does is instead of turning the PC off, it actually puts it into hybrid sleep. So some data is still kept active in the RAM. Since you're killing the power off the RAM loses the data and that confuses Windows when you power it back on, as it's actually trying to wake from sleep.

Associate
OP
It's been around since W10, what it does is instead of turning the PC off, it actually puts it into hybrid sleep. So some data is still kept active in the RAM. Since you're killing the power off the RAM loses the data and that confuses Windows when you power it back on, as it's actually trying to wake from sleep.
that makes sense i turnt it off on my surface to see if it drains power when its "off" I often notice ill charge it and lose battery still.

Back
Top Bottom