Can you crack it? - GCHQ

Associate
Dumb question?

If there's only one word, and its formulated from only the letters displayed - what's to stop someone using an anagram solver and just trying every permutation?

Associate
I still think you're all looking in the wrong place :)

The hex codes are not a message, they're an x86 program. You need to put this hex codes into a .com file and run it (I've already disassembled it above, but if you're paranoid run it from a VirtualBox machine). From a quick glance it performs some bit logic then displays a message as int 0x80 is the print to screen interrupt.

Hope this helps :D

Associate
TBH you really need a few programming skills if you wanna crack this.

The actual numbers are just numbers making up some 8086 code. If you check in the png image ( the actual image with numbers on it ) you will find some encrypted data in the header of the png :) nicely hidden.

Basically write yourself a little program to take the numbers from image + data in png header and either complie this to an executable or run it in memory with a loader. you are on your way.

Soldato
has anyone tried converting the hex into decimal base to see if that helps the situation.

if the keyword is 16 characters long as some suggests then there are 16 pairs from left to right.

Soldato
Then if shortlisted, you have to go through a four-month security clearance period where they check your background. (MOD is two months clearance).

I got interviewed by this bunch in the summer of 2001. Got past to the second stage then didn't go any further. I think it was because at the second interview it didn't seem to go down well that i had a couple of grand on my credit card :D

God know what they would find in a background check with me, i know for a fact they would never hire me now! Let alone back then! espically if they know my surfing history ;)

Soldato
I still think you're all looking in the wrong place :)

The hex codes are not a message, they're an x86 program. You need to put this hex codes into a .com file and run it (I've already disassembled it above, but if you're paranoid run it from a VirtualBox machine). From a quick glance it performs some bit logic then displays a message as int 0x80 is the print to screen interrupt.

Hope this helps :D
How easy is it do get an ASM86 debugger such as SoftICE working on a VirtualBox machine?

It's been years since I've touched ASM and as I'm using OSX I need to use VirtualBox in order to do Windows stuff. :)

Associate
How easy is it do get an ASM86 debugger such as SoftICE working on a VirtualBox machine?

It's been years since I've touched ASM and as I'm using OSX I need to use VirtualBox in order to do Windows stuff. :)

Personally I would not do this in windows as windows it a nightmare on memory usage etc. Best off using linux ;)

Back
Top Bottom