Can you reheat chinese?

Soldato
Megahurtz400 said:
Stick em in the oven for 20 mins and it should be fine.

Just make sure its cooked through and REALLY hot so theres no nasty bacteria in the water in the rice.

Heat wont kill rice spore toxins, key is too cool it down as quick as you can and get it in the fridge if your planning to use another day

Soldato
Its ok to reheat chinese food, I have been reheating rice,noodles since I was a kid,never had any problems at all. :)

NarChaDBaueR said:
i had food poising from rice, the take away used rice from the day before and it wasn't that bad, had stomach cramps etc. Rice tasted ok to me though =D
you do know that nearly all takeaways,restaurants makes fried rice from rice cooked a day before cos apparently it makes it taste nicer.(thats what my parents told me,they are chefs and use to own a restaurant)so I doubt you would have got food poisoning from rice(unless it was gone off or something)

Soldato
for what a bag of rice costs i just make new rice when re heating meals that **** be ate with rice

had a nasty food poisoning experience that i dont want to re live :D

Soldato
jesta said:
you do know that nearly all takeaways,restaurants makes fried rice from rice cooked a day before cos apparently it makes it taste nicer.(thats what my parents told me,they are chefs and use to own a restaurant)so I doubt you would have got food poisoning from rice(unless it was gone off or something)
That'll be why the two cases of food poisoning I've had were both from restaurants.

And I was always told by my mum never to reheat the rice if its getting on a bit.

Soldato
TheMightyTen said:
Funnily enough it's rice you should be most concerned about Bacillus cereus spores survive the cooking process and if the rice is left to cool slowly at room temperature they germinate into the bacteria which produce a toxin that survives reheating. The toxin causes diarrhoea and vomiting. Only keep rice if you're certain the chinese haven't already reheated it and when you have finished it cool it as quickly as possible uncovered in a fridge, when it is cooled cover it.

On the subject of rice and Chinese, I don't think White people understands that the way oriental people cook rice is totally different from how they cook it. We (as in the oriental) tend to stream cook the rice so its cooked through out, while I tend to find that whte people boil the rice, then wash it in cold water?? :confused: I was shocked to see how my flat mates cooked their rice while I was at uni. I'm not saying ethier way is wrong, but I know which way taste better IMHO and from the 29 years of eating it from stream rice, I only got a food poisoning once from what I belive was the rice but thats was from an Indian curry.

I here reports that people get food poisoning from having a chinese all the time, but my untested theory (with no prove at all) is that the poisoning may have been caused by ordering from a dirty place in the first place or that the person is just not used to eating the spices and herbs used in that dish.

Associate
Yeah, I always tend to leave half my chinese for the next day's lunch. We get the nice microwavable plastic tubs, so its all good.

Usually have Shredded beef with chilli, with fried rice. Ultimate chinese food, next to fresh Dim Sum.

Can even eat Dim Sum next day too, just steam it in a bamboo steamer! :D

Soldato
hilly said:
You shouldn't reheat rice more than twice (once when it's cooked, once reheated, any more than that and it can be bad).

Brother was a chef and has always warned me about it.
To be fair, if you reheat most things more than once (note REheat... you don't reheat the first time you cook something, you heat it :p)... impairs the taste and them spores are gonna gets ya!

Don
jdickerson said:
To be fair, if you reheat most things more than once (note REheat... you don't reheat the first time you cook something, you heat it :p)... impairs the taste and them spores are gonna gets ya!

It's not about the taste, it's about the chemical make up of rice. After being reheated 2 times or so, it starts to break down which leads to nasty bacteria!

Caporegime
hilly said:
It's not about the taste, it's about the chemical make up of rice. After being reheated 2 times or so, it starts to break down which leads to nasty bacteria!
its doesn't break down giving the bacteria. The spores are always present in rice, just the way it is grown. The spores just so happen to survive boiling. And when the rice cools down it will reach a perfect temperature and moisture content to allow the spore to hatch into bacteria which then leave a toxin. This toxin cannot be broken down or removed by heat or cooking.

Rice can only be reheated if it is quickly cooled down and placed in a fridge. If it is left at room temperature overnight the toxins will build up and no about of cooking will save your ass

Caporegime
slinxy said:
On the subject of rice and Chinese, I don't think White people understands that the way oriental people cook rice is totally different from how they cook it. We (as in the oriental) tend to stream cook the rice so its cooked through out, while I tend to find that whte people boil the rice, then wash it in cold water?? :confused: I was shocked to see how my flat mates cooked their rice while I was at uni. I'm not saying ethier way is wrong, but I know which way taste better IMHO and from the 29 years of eating it from stream rice, I only got a food poisoning once from what I belive was the rice but thats was from an Indian curry.

I here reports that people get food poisoning from having a chinese all the time, but my untested theory (with no prove at all) is that the poisoning may have been caused by ordering from a dirty place in the first place or that the person is just not used to eating the spices and herbs used in that dish.

The problem with steaming rice is that it takes so long. I was taught the proper Iranian (I know Iran isn't really classed as oriental but they still eat a lot of rice!) way of cooking rice, it's nice but it takes a couple of hours to cook, compare that to 15 minutes in a pan and you get the idea. I also have an indian housemate who boils his rice, for the same reason, it takes way too long otherwise. :)

Back
Top Bottom