Cant figure out whats going on with this custom loop

Associate
Hi Guys

So i've done all the bend and managed to make sure its all leak free but i seem to have an issue with the pump not being able to fill the loop.

I have the EKWB O11D XL Distribution block in the front 2 radiators one in the top other in the bottom
2 Bitspower KFA2 HOF 3090 waterblocks and the EK Hero Waterblock too.
the 2 radiators are the EKWB Coolstream XE 360

I cant seem to understand why the water cant get past the first radiator at the bottom properly. Its filled it the bottom radiator and fills the tubes back but then no further just a trickle.

I kept the pump controller unplugged as it said even though its a pain to get in later but still doesnt seem to want to pump the water and doesnt sound like its going at 100%

Also plugged it into one of the controller ports to allow for controlling with the bios but cus the water doesnt make it to the CPU it will just overheat and shutdown

Any ideas?

Also a video of what is going on here:

Vid

Associate
Firstly.. when filling the loop, and turning it on, make sure you are not connecting the PSU to the motherboard... otherwise it will be a pain with the CPU overheating etc should anything like this happen. Use a paper clip and self start the PSU if you have to.. there are plenty of guides out there how to do this. As all you need is for the pump to power on and off for the moment.

Secondly, make sure the reservoir is topped up (looking at the vid, it looks as if the distribution block is empty.)... doesn't have to be all the way, but enough for you to tilt the rig.. as it seems A) you have a lot of air bubbles in the loop and/or B) not enough water in the loop.. which is a primary cause for water not flowing through the pump.

power on the pump, and tilt the rig back and forth, shake if you have to, to get rid of any bubbles.

Once the loop is flowing properly, then you can connect the psu back to the motherboard, gpu, eps etc and power on

ps.. plug the pump direct to the psu.. not the mobo

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Firstly.. when filling the loop, and turning it on, make sure you are not connecting the PSU to the motherboard... otherwise it will be a pain with the CPU overheating etc should anything like this happen. Use a paper clip and self start the PSU if you have to.. there are plenty of guides out there how to do this. As all you need is for the pump to power on and off for the moment.

Secondly, make sure the reservoir is topped up (looking at the vid, it looks as if the distribution block is empty.)... doesn't have to be all the way, but enough for you to tilt the rig.. as it seems you have a lot of air bubbles in the loop.. which is a primary cause for water not flowing through the pump.

power on the pump, and tilt the rig back and forth, shake if you have to, to get rid of any bubbles.

Once the loop is flowing properly, then you can connect the psu back to the motherboard, gpu, eps etc and power on

ps.. plug the pump direct to the psu.. not the mobo

Hmmm ok will figure out best way to move it about. Using a dohickey to power it on without connecting to the mother board but wasnt sure if it was running at 100% as didnt seem like it was running very much

Associate
OP
If thats what it is, then thats all good no need for paperclip... either way.. from the weird angle from the video clip, looks to me the reservoir is not topped up enough.. even the main tubes look empty
Thats it couldnt remember the name of the top of my head lol

Associate
OP
can you take a picture of the front of the distribution block.. from your video, hard to tell what is happening if anything
Will do just found a leak springing from one of the GPU blocks even thought it was fine before think ill have to take it apart and reseat everything

Soldato
when filling it is important that the fill port is as high up as possible so that a fair bit of the loop will fill simply through gravity. otherwise you can get airlocks where it's really hard for the pump to move the air out of the way. so with a front distro and a fill port on the front of that, it may be best to put the case on the rear so that the front becomes the top. fill and rock, fill and rock. once you have a lot of fluid in, put the case back to normal before powering on (and be careful with that fill port!)

Associate
OP
when filling it is important that the fill port is as high up as possible so that a fair bit of the loop will fill simply through gravity. otherwise you can get airlocks where it's really hard for the pump to move the air out of the way. so with a front distro and a fill port on the front of that, it may be best to put the case on the rear so that the front becomes the top. fill and rock, fill and rock. once you have a lot of fluid in, put the case back to normal before powering on (and be careful with that fill port!)
Ahhh ok ye will try that as ye sort of get that issue with it essentially filling it from the bottom

Soldato
Ahhh ok ye will try that as ye sort of get that issue with it essentially filling it from the bottom

Oh, that is not good. you really should not be using a low port on a distribution for filling. That sounds like you're using the drain port to fill. Can you put up a pic of the front of the case? There should be another port nearer the top of the distro (pump should be at the bottom, fill port at the top)

Associate
OP
Oh, that is not good. you really should not be using a low port on a distribution for filling. That sounds like you're using the drain port to fill. Can you put up a pic of the front of the case? There should be another port nearer the top of the distro (pump should be at the bottom, fill port at the top)
Nah thats the way the blocks been built top port is the fill port and it pushes the fluid out the bottom radiator bit first

Associate
best to take pictures of all angles of the loop so we can determine how the loop functions and give a better explanation/advice to your issue

Associate
I have the same distro fill at front top port drain from bottom front port once air is mostly out tilt backwards and top up as much as u can u might have to do this a couple of times

Associate
OP
So I found the issue. One of the ek rotary fittings I used on the monoblock was not machined out. Got it's RMAd and a new one put in and all flowing correctly now and setup. All the RGB isnt on but I'll fix that later

Back
Top Bottom