*** Car Wash / Valet / Detailing Thread ***

Soldato
I’ll cross post this from the Mini thread:

Washed our Mini at the weekend and noticed someone has scuffed the rear bumper. It’s quite low down but on the corner as if they’ve done a bad job getting out a parking spot. A smaller than 5p mark where it’s chipped too.

There was some scuffing most of which polished out in a very quick go over today using meguiars 80 on a yellow pad, being careful as it’s quite shaped there and some bits will get more pressure than others, plus it’s years since I’ve done any detailing. The car was clean already but used a claybar, then worked the DA machine for a few passes to reduce the compound down and then quick detailer/wiped the panel down and rewaxed.

BMW/Mini don’t sell touch up in Sage Green…

It’s annoying but inevitable which is annoying in itself.

So my question is does anyone have recommendations for aftermarket touch up? If it looks fine from 6ft that will be acceptable, but obviously I’d prefer something good… I’m not against some sanding with like 2000 grade and a polish if I have to.

Associate
I’ll cross post this from the Mini thread:

Washed our Mini at the weekend and noticed someone has scuffed the rear bumper. It’s quite low down but on the corner as if they’ve done a bad job getting out a parking spot. A smaller than 5p mark where it’s chipped too.

There was some scuffing most of which polished out in a very quick go over today using meguiars 80 on a yellow pad, being careful as it’s quite shaped there and some bits will get more pressure than others, plus it’s years since I’ve done any detailing. The car was clean already but used a claybar, then worked the DA machine for a few passes to reduce the compound down and then quick detailer/wiped the panel down and rewaxed.

BMW/Mini don’t sell touch up in Sage Green…

It’s annoying but inevitable which is annoying in itself.

So my question is does anyone have recommendations for aftermarket touch up? If it looks fine from 6ft that will be acceptable, but obviously I’d prefer something good… I’m not against some sanding with like 2000 grade and a polish if I have to.
I don't have experience with them myself but this company look to be worth checking out: https://touchuppaintfactory.co.uk/

Man of Honour
Yeah that's the stuff. I've used Glaco DX previously to seal the glass, but I did experience the occasional wiper judder but it came and went.

They also have Ultra Glaco, which their own website claims has 12 months durability which is longer than DX at 4 months, although DX launched much later. Therefore I'm not entirely sure what the USP of DX is to live alongside Ultra Glaco.

Angelwax H2GO is also often mentioned as being a very good glass coating, but I haven't used it so can't comment on how easy it is to apply or how long is lasts.

Yep that's the stuff

I should try my soft99 compound too

My clay blok from chemical guys says to use it on your windscreen first and then you can do the bodywork

I clayed it last week and sealed it with just normal turtle wax stuff

Many thanks to both of you, I have ordered the Glaco compound along with a Rokkes Miracle Clay kit so should cover any circumstances.

Underboss
OP
Turtle wax are doing the BOGOF again on the hybrid solutions pack

Last edited:
Soldato
I know I don't need these, but I would like to get some! I don't think they're sold in the UK though.

Soldato
I've got a completely knackered shoulder, hopefully just a bad case of bursitis but might be worse, I'll find out in another 2 weeks hopefully.

Anyway, I've got no chance of being able to wash the car properly and I'm too old to learn how to do things with my non-dominant hand. I should be able to manage a couple of passes with the pressure washer.

Am I right in thinking the best result I'm going to get on my wife's car is BH Touchless?

I've got the paint super glossy through layers of good old Carnauba wax and I don't really want to remove that as god knows when I'll be capable of a polish and wax again. Will Touchless leave the protection in place?

Soldato
Ignored the exterior but gave the interior some much needed TLC.

Cleaned ALL Glass with Generic Glass Cleaner.

Wiped all Plastics and Upholstery down with Auto Finesse Verso (APC)

Generous Vacuum of the entire car, finished off with sprays of Fabreeze and a new Air Freshener.

Could do with one of those Scrub Pads to restore my Steering Wheel back to a Matt Finish, it’s by no means super shiny but a wipe hasn’t restored it completely.

Soldato
Auto Finesse have discontinued their Lambswool Wheel Brushes “Wonder Wool’s”

They look like a copy of Wheel Woolies, 70% off so a Trio Small, Medium and Large is £14.38.

Can be bought individually too, I’m going to order the Trio, not sure how they will last but for the money thought I’d give them a try.

Code for an additional 10% off = FO21QY6

Last edited:
Soldato
I've had sets of wheel woolies in the past and the glue holding the fabric on has always failed after 6 months at the most, or the fabric literally falls apart - and this is with maticulous drying after use. I'm not saying the same will happen with the Auto Finesse ones, but they look very similar in construction.

On the other hand the Megs wheel brush I've got has lasted me 3+ years and is still going strong.

Associate

They look like a copy of Wheel Woolies, 70% off so a Trio Small, Medium and Large is £14.38.

Can be bought individually too, I’m going to order the Trio, not sure how they will last but for the money thought I’d give them a try.

Cheers for the heads up.
Tempted at that price even though some of the reviews showing them disintegrate over time.

Soldato

Looks like some good clearance bargains in general on their site. I've got enough car cleaning gear to last me a lifetime but seems to be some good bargains if you are in the need for things - https://www.autofinesse.com/collections/outlet

Soldato
I bought 500ML of Tar/Glue Remover Gel too as I’ve been ignoring some tar spots on the lower panels for a while now.

I really like their air fresheners, fairly long lasting and usually one chucked in the box free of charge.

Still not over the fact they used to offer free shipping and now dont though!

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks like my Nilfisk Titan Xtra has packed up, started running on even through lance trigger wasn’t pressed and smell of electrical burning. Is there anything I can do to save it? Pump broken or a common issue?

Could be an issue with the pressure switch and or valve that is activated to cut the pump out when pressure is reached.

Soldato
Last 5 wks of grime and time for a wash.

C3Ek2WN.jpeg

2jWZ9XE.jpeg

First time using Auto Finesse Aqua coat. It went on easy and the results are good. Thanks @Gilbert89, good gloss and beads well.

FCg9Rbg.jpeg

Last edited:
Soldato
pressure washer stressing - for me was the V
it's a sprung by-pass valve, which re-circulates/relieves pressurised water, if the pistol handle is released, and,
if it's like the 20 year old k7 i use, was surprisingly easy to unscrew, and lubricate ...

Soldato
I want to get a bulk lot of microfiber cloths.
Not sure if I should just get a 50 or 100 pack for cheap or get better quality ?
Use for external on tye car and probably interior too

Any suggestions?
Don't shoot, but the 32 or 36 pack available from Costco is actually solid. Not a deep pile, but theyre a good blend, soft, and wash well. Had no issues with the edges either. I use them on interior and for grotty exterior stuff (arches, wheels, engine bay etc). Would probably use them on the paint too tbh.

Underboss
OP
Don't shoot, but the 32 or 36 pack available from Costco is actually solid. Not a deep pile, but theyre a good blend, soft, and wash well. Had no issues with the edges either. I use them on interior and for grotty exterior stuff (arches, wheels, engine bay etc). Would probably use them on the paint too tbh.

i don't do costco
not local at all to me

what sort of price are they ? could you drop a web link if there online ?
thanks

Back
Top Bottom