*** Car Wash / Valet / Detailing Thread ***

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I wouldn't buy a vacuum with a blower, probably won't be quite as powerful.

Buy something like this, virtually identical components inside to a detailing one, just not paying the detailing tax. It's what you'll find most people recommend on detailing forums

I paid £200+ for one of the Big Boi products, that truth be told, is probably the same as the above, just rebranded :D
Amazing, thanks for this. :D
I think the main difference is the shorter hose (2m v 5m) and the detailing tax. It's clearly the same thing, just the dog grooming one is less than half the price and it comes with comb attachments :p

Last edited:
Soldato
I wouldn't buy a vacuum with a blower, probably won't be quite as powerful.

Buy something like this, virtually identical components inside to a detailing one, just not paying the detailing tax. It's what you'll find most people recommend on detailing forums

I paid £200+ for one of the Big Boi products, that truth be told, is probably the same as the above, just rebranded :D

It's not as powerful, but then I find it's more than powerful enough for blowing water off a car and getting water out of areas where it collects.

Then again, my car is always coated with a product which has hydrophobic properties, so it's very, very easy to get the water off it.

I'm always reluctant to have too many products each doing different things.

I did post a gif of me using it but can't find it.

Man of Honour
It's not as powerful, but then I find it's more than powerful enough for blowing water off a car and getting water out of areas where it collects.

Then again, my car is always coated with a product which has hydrophobic properties, so it's very, very easy to get the water off it.

I'm always reluctant to have too many products each doing different things.

I did post a gif of me using it but can't find it.

Yeah when your car is clean and coated, it will be more than enough. But even though mine is ceramic coated, if it's a little bit dirty with the wet, dirty roads, I'll just foam and rinse until I get a chance to clean it properly. And this doesn't get rid of 100% of the dirt so water behaviour isn't as good as it otherwise would be, and in that instance, you need a bit more power to remove the water properly

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah when your car is clean and coated, it will be more than enough. But even though mine is ceramic coated, if it's a little bit dirty with the wet, dirty roads, I'll just foam and rinse until I get a chance to clean it properly. And this doesn't get rid of 100% of the dirt so water behaviour isn't as good as it otherwise would be, and in that instance, you need a bit more power to remove the water properly

Yeah that’s fair enough - haven’t ever done that myself. Would you not be better using a water filter in that scenario so you can let it air dry?

Man of Honour
Yeah that’s fair enough - haven’t ever done that myself. Would you not be better using a water filter in that scenario so you can let it air dry?

I've tried a couple of these but the water is so terrible in my area that they just don't last that long so gets quite expensive, and I was still finding very minor water marks :(

Soldato
I've tried a couple of these but the water is so terrible in my area that they just don't last that long so gets quite expensive, and I was still finding very minor water marks :(
Blimey, really? That's pretty crazy

Out of interest, which ones did you try? I've been thinking about getting one to try out, but live in a very hard water area

Man of Honour
Blimey, really? That's pretty crazy

Out of interest, which ones did you try? I've been thinking about getting one to try out, but live in a very hard water area

Race Glaze and I think Crystal Water?

Don't get me wrong, they worked but they weren't perfect. You could easily wipe the water spots off that were left, unlike unfiltered water that needed a proper water spot remover, but for how easy it is just to use a blower, I just stuck with that in the end

Soldato
What are peoples go to for tyre shine these days? Been using Sonax tyre gel for years but something easier to apply would be welcome.

Soldato
My neighbour has enough car cleaning equipment to open up a detailing business, so I borrowed his car dryer yesterday and wow what a difference! I'm not going to buy one for over £300 like he did, so what do you guys recommend?

-edit, his is a Blo AIR-GT. As nice as it was, seems excessive for my needs
I use the Bruhl Twin Motorcycle dryer , very powerful [ almost too powerful ]

Soldato
What are peoples go to for tyre shine these days? Been using Sonax tyre gel for years but something easier to apply would be welcome.

Nice satin finish after it's settled. Progressively builds up on the tyre every application and it's the best I've come across for water repellancy.

Soldato

I’ve been trying CarPro dark side recently.

What I like about it is that it gives a reasonably satin finish instead of super glossy, and lasts a good deal of time. Normally they wash off after the first wash.

Associate
Lat few times I've used Vonixx Revox and I was quite surprised with it, it wasn't overly expensive, goes on well and leaves a nice satin finish. From memory it lasts fairly well, too, but it's been so long since I've washed the cars that I can't remember the exact dirability

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Do you know if that is sprayable ?
I use Meguiar's Ultimate Tire Shine. I clean off any overspray immediately and it works well. Doesn't last very long, but don't have anything to compare it to..
Top tip: Do it in the street as it'll leave marks on your driveway for over a year :o

@Sparky @Steedie I bought a Pet Blower for under £70 and it works a treat. A third of the cost of the fancy "detailing" blowers and it's literally the same thing - same power rating, etc. Only downside is it doesn't have wheels and the hose is rather short, but for the price I can't complain.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom