Car with PPF?

Associate
What are your thoughts regarding purchasing a used car with PPF (paint protection film)?
Sellers will claim it's an "extra" that adds value but not sure about this.

Last edited:
Associate
I suppose it depends on how much added value the seller has put on the car compared to a similar spec car without PPF.
Please correct me if I am wrong but I think PPF is quite expensive to apply, possibly £2000 or more, obviously dependent on the car.

If the seller has added a few hundred for the PPF and it was applied recently and is in good condition I personally think it is worth it.

Soldato
Full PPF cost around £4.5K inc VAT depends on the car though...not sure I would pay extra used for it as it needs maintenance at some time! Depends on how much the car cost really is it something exotic or rare?

Associate
I bought a 18 month old giulia quadrifoglio with race pack PPF, think it was around £2k's worth.
It was a bonus in my eyes, which was a factor in choosing that car over others. But I didn't pay extra for it being on, or being ceramic coated

Soldato
I wouldn't say it adds value tbh, it can sometimes even be an issue. You still get visible stone chips in it and it's not really cheaper to fix than paint. Also after a while and being exposed to weather, it starts to peel at the edges and you get a "dirty fingernail" look. If it looks messy it is a pain to remove.

Did they use good quality stuff or cheap stuff, cheap stuff will get sun damaged quicker and won't last as long. Most say you'll only get 5-7 years and it will need re-doing if the car is used regularly.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
A full car PPF is 4-6k.
If it is less than a couple years old I'd consider it a value adder but PPF once a few years old can become to look tatty, at which point there will be a cost involved with getting it removed.

Associate
I'd pay more for a car with PPF than not.

My Exige has it on, the PPF is 7 years old and it's still in good condition apart from one stone chip that's managed to break through it. A lot of people say it only lasts 3-4 years, but in reality if you look after your car well it can last much longer.

OcUK Staff
Isn't it more expensive to paint the car if it has been keyed?

An entire car respray will cost anywhere from 5-20k which depends on the car, the bodyshop rates etc. Prices can vary a lot, some bodyshops over charge, some do poor jobs, finding a painter who is very good but also charges fair pricing are few and far between.

I had our Yaris rear bumper re-painted due to me scraping into it, so no damage but paint damage, it was £360 so cheaper than PPF and repaired spot on.

PPF and Bodyshops vary wildly in both pricing and quality, personally I don't see value in spending 5k to put a condom on my car.....

OcUK Staff
Also, horror stories with insurance, some count ppf as a modification:

But ultimately, yes, PPF is generally a good addition, assuming in good condition.

Because it is!

Don't declare it and risk voided insurance, though common sense says insurance company should just charge the customer the cost to remove PPF and then give a cost option of re-applying it.

You declare it because it is expensive, it cost money to remove and it cost money to add, as such I agree with insurance on this one, nothing in life is free so declare it. :)

Associate
OP
An entire car respray will cost anywhere from 5-20k which depends on the car, the bodyshop rates etc. Prices can vary a lot, some bodyshops over charge, some do poor jobs, finding a painter who is very good but also charges fair pricing are few and far between.

I had our Yaris rear bumper re-painted due to me scraping into it, so no damage but paint damage, it was £360 so cheaper than PPF and repaired spot on.

PPF and Bodyshops vary wildly in both pricing and quality, personally I don't see value in spending 5k to put a condom on my car.....
If it was all panels and the roof I am sure it wouldn't be cheaper to repaint.

Associate
OP

Very good metaphor. I was thinking of it more like makeup that enhances looks but can also mask things you probably wouldn't want to see:)

Last edited:
Soldato
Because it is!

Don't declare it and risk voided insurance, though common sense says insurance company should just charge the customer the cost to remove PPF and then give a cost option of re-applying it.

You declare it because it is expensive, it cost money to remove and it cost money to add, as such I agree with insurance on this one, nothing in life is free so declare it. :)

Be interesting for those insurance companies that don't consider PPF a modification so would not need declaring if they'd replace the PPF if needed.. I doubt they would.

Same thing with alloys.. some insurance companies don't count like for like (size) replacement alloys to be modifications, and they don't replace them, they just give you factory alloys..

I think AXA were just being a bit daft.. by their logic, Ceramic coatings should also void insurance for the extra cost of removal/replacing..

Associate
OP
Looks like there are more risks than benefits. If there is a possibility that what is hidden underneath the shiny ppf is a keyed car I wouldn't touch it with a pole.

Soldato
Looks like there are more risks than benefits. If there is a possibility that what is hidden underneath the shiny ppf is a keyed car I wouldn't touch it with a pole.
You'd see existing scratches under a PPF film, so that's not a concern. If the car had been wrapped a different colour entirely, then yes, it'd be worth worrying about.

Personally, I'd prefer to have a PPF'd car, but as mentioned above it would depend on the quality of the film used, its condition and how long ago it was applied.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thing with PPF is not matter what anyone says its not the second coming at all......as it ONLY protects against small stone chips. Anything larger or hitting at speed at a certain angle it will not do anything except needs repairing just like the paintwork will then in strong direct sunlight you can clearly see the film & it dulls the pearl or metallic paintwork a bit.

Not sure its worth 4 figures for more than OEM protection but way less than total protection (PPF materials are usually less than a grand its the labour to fit your paying for or you can DIY plenty of companies offering that now you buy the PPF from them fit yourself).

Back
Top Bottom