Carpet protector/mat recommendations?

Soldato
We’ve had new carpet fitted and already in the office it’s looking nice and rutted :( Anywhere you’d recommend getting some nice looking (as far as possible) clear PVC mats to wheel around on? Preferably something that won’t entirely flatten the carpet either? :) TIA.

Associate
Hi Scam, I have sent you a PM because I am not sure if I can post the here as OcUK also sells chairs so this place might be considered a competitor.

Associate
I got a clear one from IKEA. Only downside is as you roll around In the chair the mat moves,

I need to think of a way to keep it gripped in one place but haven't had much time to look into it

Last edited:
Associate
Ive had both the clear one from Ikea (hard plastic with rubberised under) and now have the black one (still has rubberised under).
I prefer the black one but it can curve up around corners, while it also picks up lots of dust etc and shows this more easily (as most black things do). However it is brilliant to clean (either hoover or water wash - hose or otherwise).

Clear one was great until we had hard floors, when it picks up a little sand particle it can ruin your floor. It was great for when we had carpets though.

Associate
Hi Scam, I have sent you a PM because I am not sure if I can post the here as OcUK also sells chairs so this place might be considered a competitor.
Any chance I could take the same link?
As long as its allowed.

currently needing the same thing!

Associate
I got a clear one from IKEA. Only downside is as you roll around In the chair the mat moves,

I need to think of a way to keep it gripped in one place but haven't had much time to look into it

You can get clear ones with little spikes on the underside to stop this. That's what I got :)

Used it daily for approx 1.5 year now and no damage to the carpet underneath.

Associate
but it can curve up around corners

My current mat (rubber backed ikea one) has started to do this, I think it's after we changed the carpets these ones have a much deeper pile. It's incredibly annoying and I'm always tripping over it.

Anyone know if the spiked kind are any better for this on a carpet with a thick pile?

Soldato
I think realistically chairs on plush carpets will never go. Any form of mat or protector will eventually flatten out the carpet.

You either need carpet tiles as offices do, or wood - but you'll probably still want a mat/protector to dampen down any sound.

Associate
I use a sheet of Correx doubled up under a rug. The carpet beneath has pressure marks where the chair rollers have sat but the rug/Correx have taken the brunt. I tend to not move the chair, so the chair feet stay in the same position. The rug has indents where the feet sit but looks perfect otherwise.

For removing indents in carpet, I have used the damp bathroom towel and hot steam iron trick!

Grab a bathroom hand towel, wet the towel, ring it out so it's damp. Place damp towel on carpet, iron the towel and hit the steam button repeatedly - just do it in short bursts, e.g. 3-4 seconds, lift off, repeat, and keep checking carpet until the pressure marks are gone. Works well.

P.S. - Always try on a less conspicuous piece of carpet first.

Last edited:
Soldato
Had this issue when my lad wanted a gaming chair in his bedroom. In the end I went to b&q and bought a 150cmx100cm piece of MDF and glued some spare 50x50 carpet tiles on. To make it look a bit fancy, I had a leftover LED strip which I stuck round the edges. Looks good and cost peanuts.

1iVmEju.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
I've been using a tempered glass chair mat for a couple of years, bombproof. Carpet is still as good as new underneath due to the weight distribution.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom