Chromebooks

Soldato
Can anyone advise if you could run USB 4g modem connected to Chromebook ?
My mum has USB modem and am tempted to swap her old laptop for Chromebook

Yes is should not be a problem Chromebooks do support 3G/4G modems :)

I know the Three 4G usb dongle supports chrome as it listed on there site under specifications.. what 4G modem does she have?

Associate
I keep toying with the idea of getting one of these.

I basically browse the web and access some documents on my pc upstairs.
My current laptop is crashtastic and I cannot find the resolution.

Keep looking at the 14" HP one!

The only thing that puts me off is the fact it does not seem too easy to put ubuntu on!

Soldato
I keep toying with the idea of getting one of these.

I basically browse the web and access some documents on my pc upstairs.
My current laptop is crashtastic and I cannot find the resolution.

Keep looking at the 14" HP one!

The only thing that puts me off is the fact it does not seem too easy to put ubuntu on!
I got the HP Chromebook 11 for basically the same reasons - my windows laptop was playing up at the time and I realised that a chromebook would be much more portable, affordable, and easier to maintain, but would still do 90% of what I used my laptop for at the time.

I've now fixed my laptop, but still use the Chromebook a fair bit. I'm very pleased with it in general, although I guess it is very cheap-plasticky and probably a bit underpowered.

I put Ubuntu on it with the crouton method that dymetrie linked to, and it was really incredibly easy, so I wouldn't worry about that. However, as the HP 11" uses an Exynos processor it's difficult/impossible to get quite a few bits of software working (although I've not actually spent very long looking into this). Still, I can run ipython, Firefox, and some generic command line video player.

As the HP 14" uses a Celeron, I imagine there shouldn't be any problems getting software to work.

Last edited:
Soldato
Was thinking of getting one of these to use as the home laptop replacement instead of cracking open the work laptop (which is a beast) and using that. The battery life of 8 hours looks like something dreams are made of. Is that actually what you get with these things given that they arent doing the most heavy duty of tasks?

What with the Arc Welder coming out and hopefully giving a better path for Android apps to get running on this, it might easily become a daily driver given that there are so many Android Apps out there that can do pretty much what you need to do on a daily driver.

Soldato
Still no sign of the Full HD Chromebook 15 in the UK, pah.

So, which Chromebook out there is Full HD, maybe with 4gb of RAM as well? Cheers!

There is also an Acer Chromebook with a full HD and 4gb of ram .

just google... acer chromebook cb5-311 4gb :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom