Cities Skylines 2 is Official!

Soldato

I'm very hyped for this! I'll be interested to see if the stock game is better than a modded version of CS feature wise, I'm also hoping graphics will be much improved ! Can not wait!

Underboss
Lovely, enjoyed CS so much but it became a DLC fest needing to get the game running somewhat well.

Hopefully this is a good improvement on CS.

Soldato
Excited for this. I have watched a few YT videos of the trailer and musings etc. Cityplannerplays has the best video. He goes into detail on what engine its using (possibly, but the rabbit hole he went down certainly makes it look like Unreal5)

Associate
Saw a headline saying about this and immediately came here to find the thread. This will be a definite buy from me and something to base my next build around. Looking forward to it already.

Soldato
absolutely stoked about this, one of the few games i play these days just hoping for a huge bump in graphics quality and system support,
no limited build areas from the off please paradox i want a thousand tiles :)

Soldato
absolutely stoked about this, one of the few games i play these days just hoping for a huge bump in graphics quality and system support,
no limited build areas from the off please paradox i want a thousand tiles :)
A great deal of players have been asking (in various 'what do you want in CS2?' threads) for region play like SimCity4. I think it will have that. Youtuber Biffaplays I think, has played the Alpha 1.5 years ago along with other YTbers. All he can say is, its has seaguls in it and also, seasons.

Heres the cityplannerplays video I was on about in my previous post.

Soldato
Hoping for optimization.

The main problem with Cities Skylines is how badly it runs when you start to make your city big.

Otherwise cities Skylines is an awesome game.

Fingers crossed.

Soldato
A great deal of players have been asking (in various 'what do you want in CS2?' threads) for region play like SimCity4. I think it will have that. Youtuber Biffaplays I think, has played the Alpha 1.5 years ago along with other YTbers. All he can say is, its has seaguls in it and also, seasons.

Heres the cityplannerplays video I was on about in my previous post.

I think he's getting a little carried away analysing that one. Cities Skylines is an absolute banger of a game though, so it's going to be a day one for me. I just don't see it being UE5 and looking like that.

Associate
To be honest I'd be happy with a slight bump in graphics but a major bump in performance. The way it looks now is the cities 'style' so going towards photorealistic isn't really them if you know what I mean?

I wonder if the emphasis on buildings going through construction in the announcement vid is anything of significance? As in will they develop slowly over time rather than meet a criteria and instant upgrade. Would be cool to add construction workers to city services who go round building the areas you've zoned with resources from your industries etc.

Chances are it's nothing and just makes the video more interesting :p

Soldato
I'm going to go more on the side of caution and see how things develop before getting too excited. I've been stung too many times. :p
Yup, 100% this, just look at Kerbal Space Program 2.
To be honest I'd be happy with a slight bump in graphics but a major bump in performance. :p

Indeed, it needs to be their main focus, CS isnt well optimised so it doesn't make good of cores, and uses A LOT of memory, I had a modded city (that wasnt even that big) going over 32GB of memory, heading towards 40gb as I recall (my system has 64GB) and using pretty much all of my VRAM as well, and on a AMD 5800x with a mild overclock it was running at like 7FPS, heading towards being unplayable.

Yes yes I know mods, and the developers would not have aniticpated etc I get that, but even so.

If they basically sorted that out, they wouldn't need to do much else, if they make it open in terms of modding and creating assets like the first they just need to build a good base game and people will do the rest.

Soldato
Not sure how it matters or not but I see that they are using a variant of the Unity engine again for CS II.

Remembering how CS1 performs with many mods, seemingly main problem for performance, and how much it will use with memory, with a stack of custom assets, I am hopeful that CS 2 improves on that. How important that is for the Devs we will find out. At around 400k or so in population, along with mods and plenty of assets, the speed of the game gets quite compromised. Agent limits being something that could factor before then.
It has been a while since I played CS but, IIRC, it would take 3 seconds on a new map for one day and night cycle at 3x speed and then 9 seconds at 1 x speed. I used to use that as a guide, rather than just fps, to give an indication of how bad things were slowing down.

I liked the idea of using 25 tiles and creating larger cities around the map. But, due to limits, they often resembled ghost towns from a post apocalyptic world with very few people etc being rendered, compared to the population stats.

Last edited:
Soldato
Very much looking forward to this. Hope they improve the traffic management and lane usage compared to the original. Needing to layer up a bunch of mods to get it remotely decent was a frustration. Performance improvements would be good too!

Back
Top Bottom