City Fibre

Associate
Newcastle recently became one of the first cities to start having full fibre infrastructure installed and my area was one of the first to get it. I've just had it installed to the house today, a fibre cable from the telephone pole in the back lane to the eaves and then ran down the wall and into the house. Small fibre modem mounted internally and network cable to router. All done in about an hour and this is the result.

lyanGtC.jpg

Speed should improve over the next week but coming from a 60 Mbps connection I'm happy with that so far. £40.00 a month from Zen.

Associate
Great I guess!

What do people need those sort of speeds for though?

I am dealing with large media files all day for my job, so for me having 600/600 is very nice as I'm not waiting 3 hours to upload a video for distribution. It also means my handling of large files does not affect my housemates ability to reliably use Teams for his work video calls.

Caporegime
Great I guess!

What do people need those sort of speeds for though?

I can't get FTTP but if it were available I'd buy whatever service tier is required to get 100Mbps upload speeds. If that came with gigabit downloads then so be it, but I need the upload for work and 20Mbps isn't really enough.

Caporegime
Everything in the broadband world is contended. FTTC cabinets have a couple of 1Gbit uplinks in them for every connection they contain, Virgin Media have a finite amount of RF spectrum shared across entire segments, Gpon has 2.5Gbps shared between a potential 32 customers depending on usage on each splitter. Gigaclear has a fibre for each customer back to their cabinets but then it's contended when it leaves the cabinet.

If you want no contention then you buy a leased line, and the prices increase to account for that.

Caporegime
Everything in the broadband world is contended. FTTC cabinets have a couple of 1Gbit uplinks in them for every connection they contain, Virgin Media have a finite amount of RF spectrum shared across entire segments, Gpon has 2.5Gbps shared between a potential 32 customers depending on usage on each splitter. Gigaclear has a fibre for each customer back to their cabinets but then it's contended when it leaves the cabinet.

If you want no contention then you buy a leased line, and the prices increase to account for that.
All based on the idea that everyone won't be using their full connection at any one time. If you built a Motorway for 10,000 cars that use the road every 24 hours and plan for them all at once then you'd have a motorway hundreds of lanes wide. But of course the traffic is spread out throughout the day so you can get away with a three or four lane motorway.

Associate
They are currently cabling our town for it, will likely move form Virgin once it's available.

I hadn't realised Zen were offering it now too, when I first looked I think it was only Vodafone.

Back
Top Bottom