Civil War

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
7/10 Worth a watch for sure

Totally agree. Well worth a watch. Last act was decent and unexpected. A few silly parts but that's unavoidable.

What was wrong with Dunst's character?? I get she was traumatised by the death. But she was hard as nails and a hard arse throughout. She was meant to excels in conflict scenarios.

Was the President meant to be Trump? He was on his 3rd Term and dissolved parts that didn't agree right?

Last edited:
Soldato
Was the President meant to be Trump? He was on his 3rd Term and dissolved parts that didn't agree right?

Yes and No, but mostly No.

It's mostly assumed by viewers, but the cast/director have said that Trump wasn't the inspiration (which makes sense if you don't want to lose 1/3 of the box office), despite the introduction where the President gives a very Trump-esque "We won a great battle, it was the best battle" type speech.

However, I don't think that it was "specifically" supposed to be a "pseudo Trump", but people will see what they want to see and I think both "sides" will want to see some Trump in there - One side because they get to see his death and the other side to "prove" to others that Hollywood hates them and their politics.

Last edited:
Soldato
I would agree with 7/10. Thought it was ok but didn’t really blow me away. It was like the world’s worst road trip. :D

I thought the character of Jesse was a weird character one. Almost like a psychopath the way it ended. Not many of the characters were particularly likeable although I suppose they are not necessarily meant to be.

Last edited:
Soldato
I would agree with 7/10. Thought it was ok but didn’t really blow me away.

Always reminds me of this :D

0M9pYo9.jpeg

I'm definitely using that "Old Skool" rating scale on the bottom where 7./10 means "really good", rather than the more modern "7/10 is barely OK" scale on top :D

Soldato
Always reminds me of this :D

0M9pYo9.jpeg

I'm definitely using that "Old Skool" rating scale on the bottom where 7./10 means "really good", rather than the more modern "7/10 is barely OK" scale on top :D
Yeah, I’m probably damning it with faint praise with my word choice. Definitely thought it was above average.

Soldato
Went last week, really well acted and shot, hadn't read much about it which I was glad of, reminded me a little bit of the hurt locker in some ways.

Soldato
Saw this last night. Not understanding the negative “bad road trip movie” reviews at all. It was fantastic. So very tense in places, great action sequences, particularly the final act, and great use of sound throughout.

The only bit that annoyed me was as if anyone would be shooting film in a war zone in the near future, but hey :p

I’d honestly go see it again, it was also a little short so in wonder given all the publicity shots out there on socials if there might be a longer cut to be made available. It was definitely tightly trimmed.

Soldato
Saw it on Saturday, I found the end to be weird (it didn't finish how I expected but I also didn't know how I expected to finish) but I really enjoyed the film. The story kind of gave me "last of us" vibes in a way.

Caporegime
Didn't enjoy it that much. It was OK, but not worth a cinema trip. 5/10, I doubt I would ever watch it again. Trailers make it seem like a different film to what I saw. Most people (10 or so :D ) in the cinema just went silent when it ended abruptly and the lights went on (even though the final act did pick up a bit).
Worst Alex Garland film I have seen tbh.

rp2000

Soldato
Not doing that well financially, non-US sales are very, very poor so far with the film only making $58m with just $10 from outside the US on a $50m budget (so about $120m-150m to break even).

Man of Honour
To be honest the only reason we went was to use up cinema vouchers and didn't fancy the Godzilla movie.

It's a decent film, but not one that benefits massively from a cinema visit.

It should still break even and maybe turn a profit eventually with physical media, streaming and TV revenues to come.

Back
Top Bottom